Wiki Posts
Search

16 hour layover at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

16 hour layover at CDG

I will have a long layover in Paris in February and I was wondering what would be the best way to spend my day. I land very early one morning and then my flight to South Africa leaves late in the evening. I've already seen most sights years ago but it would be nice to walk around and catch up. I'm also wondering if there is a reasonable hotel near the airport or in town where I could stay for the day to shower and leave my bag while I'm out exploring.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:56 am

The Sheraton @CDG is offering a day package. Maybe this would be an option?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:33 am

You can shower at Yotel at CDG, $20 for 45 minutes. There are storage lockers at the Gare Du Nord.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just had a 12 hour layover in CDG. Flying AF business class, I had access to their Arrivals lounge to shower and have a light breakfast. Non-business class passengers (unclear if you have to arrive on AF) can pay to get in -- EUR 50 before 10am, 35 after. It's a bit of walk from 2E where AF flights arrive, more info in the AirFrance forum.

The Yotel is airside in terminal 2E, Hall L (non-Schengen zone). OP should have access to it with the onward boarding pass, but then I'm not sure how easy it is to exit the terminal afterward, for which you'd have to clear passport control.

In terms of the CDG Sheraton, I think day rooms are 8am - 6pm, and ~$200. So kind of pricey and the checkout time would severely limit your time in Paris.

There are storage lockers on-site at CDG, but I believe they close at 9pm; this was too early for me (my flight was at 11 or 11:30pm), so I used the lockers at the Gare du Nord for my carry-ons (a laptop backpack and small duffel). My suitcase was checked through to my final destination. Note that the GdN lockers are at the other end of the station from the Metro and RER, probably a 5 minute walk, so make sure to allow enough time on your way back to the airport to get to the lockers and back to the RER. The locker facility also closes at night, but I think 10 or 11pm. You can Google for info.

There's no shortage of actual things to do in Paris though!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:02 am

The nearby CDG Hilton sells day rooms.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Jan 17, 2019 at 10:36 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I believe that any of the numerous CDG hotels offer day rooms based upon availability.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I imagine they'd be less expensive than the Sheraton, but still probably >$100, and definitely more inconvenient as you'd have to shuttle back and forth. And I don't know how flexible the hours are. 6pm checkout would kill half the layover as the JNB flight is 11:30pm.

If OP really just wants to shower the Yotel is probably the best option, subject to being able to leave the airport afterward. Otherwise I'd go for the Air France arrivals lounge (I assume he's arriving on AF, but you could probably even show a same-day departing BP, if they even require you to be flying AF or SkyTeam, which is not clear).
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm thinking of waiting until before my flight to JNB to shower if I'm gonna use the Yotel. Maybe even just skip it all together. My flight to Paris was supposed to be with Air Canada but I just noticed I've been switched to a flight on Air France somehow...

Trying to figure out what to do during my day in Paris though. Thinking of taking the RER to St-Michel and make my way around the city from there. I'm just worried about the weather in February and being limited in terms of walking around. Might have to stick to indoor places.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini, Le Club AccorHotels, Rosewood Elite, Shangri-La, Four Seasons PP, etc.
Depending on what your interests are, there are plenty of options in Paris for a day. February is indeed not the best time in terms of weather, but the coffee houses and people watching actvities are a good thing to do. I think going to St Michel is a good idea, you are close to Notre Dame, if you would like that, and also St Germain des Pres which is just wonderful for sitting at a cafe (Cafe de Flore, Les Deux Magots, and many others not so famous) and people watching. What is it that you'd like to do? The cathedral of St Germain des Pres is the most ancient one in Paris, and you can also walk from St Michel to St Sulspice which has a lovely cathedral, and wonderful book stores and boutiques all around; it's a wonderful area for strolling around. You can also visit the Luxembourg garden and its museum, they host wonderful exhbitions all year long, and across you will have the Patheon with many cafes and restaurants around with a view of the Eiffel tower, being that this area is elevated. A little bit farther in, and you will be in the Mouffetard Quartier with its famous street market and lively atmosphere. Hope that helps somehow!
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcbg1
I'm thinking of waiting until before my flight to JNB to shower if I'm gonna use the Yotel. Maybe even just skip it all together. My flight to Paris was supposed to be with Air Canada but I just noticed I've been switched to a flight on Air France somehow...
Personally, I'm a zombie after a redeye flight until I can take a shower, so for me, it's imperative to try to get one upon landing. Since you are flying AF, you could definitely pay to use their arrivals lounge at the far end of terminal 2C, before 2A.
But if you don't do that, then definitely take a shower at the Yotel before the JNB flight, your seatmates will thank you!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Well tomorrow is the day. I plan on taking the RER to St-Michel, check out Notre-Dame and Ile-St-Louis, wander around and slowly make my way to the Eiffel Tower. Depending on time left, maybe take the hop-on hop-off bus and then make my way back to CDG for my 11:30PM flight.
Goldorak and ajGoes like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Looks like you're going to have nice weather anyway! Enjoy your day in Paris.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:38 am

Goood plan. If you haven't been there before, the stained glass windows of Sainte Chapelle, which is very close to Notre Dame, are spectacular and well worth a visit. I assume it is open on Mondays but check, lots of places are closed on Monday, I know the Musee D'Orsay is.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
Goood plan. If you haven't been there before, the stained glass windows of Sainte Chapelle, which is very close to Notre Dame, are spectacular and well worth a visit. I assume it is open on Mondays but check, lots of places are closed on Monday, I know the Musee D'Orsay is.
Thanks! I fly out tomorrow night so I'm arriving in Paris at 7am on Tuesday. Will put this on the list. The weather forecast does look pretty good for February!
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Good news, the Sainte-Chapelle opens tomorrow morning at 9.

Last edited by ajGoes; Feb 17, 2019 at 2:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.