FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   16 hour layover at CDG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1941326-16-hour-layover-cdg.html)

Goldorak Feb 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Enjoy !!
yes the weather is just incredible for february. Have a good lunch on a café terrace under the sun.

mcbg1 Feb 24, 2019 12:49 pm

Just wanted to give an update: Landed at CDG early morning, took the train to St-Michel-Notre-Dame-De-Paris, visited the Cathedral, then went to Ile St-Louis, walked along the Seine up to the Louvre, then walked all the way to the Arc-de-Triomphe, then down to the Eiffel Tower. Then took the hop-on, hop-off bus for a loop to relax, got off near Galleries Lafayette to do some shopping, got back on the buss and got off at Notre-Dame for some dinner and then took the train back to the airport. Went to the Air France lounge to buy access before my flight but the attendant said they were too busy and wouldn't let me so I just tried to stay awake at the airport until my flight to South Africa. It was long busy day but I enjoyed it. The weather was wonderful!

MSPeconomist Feb 24, 2019 12:55 pm

What airlines? The Sheraton only makes sense if you're using T2 and even then, IMO it would be nicer to do a day rate at a downtown hotel so that you can come back to the room to rest if desired in the middle of the day. I'd pick something very close (walkable with whatever luggage you'll have then) to a RER station on the line from the airport or CDG airport bus stop that's also close to some stuff you want to do.

I'm not sure what downtown hotels offer day rates. You might need to contact the hotel directly if you can't find something on a chain hotel's website. Pay attention or negotiate the specific hours that you'll want the room; standard day use rates often are 9 am to 4 pm.

mcbg1 Feb 24, 2019 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30816666)
What airlines? The Sheraton only makes sense if you're using T2 and even then, IMO it would be nicer to do a day rate at a downtown hotel so that you can come back to the room to rest if desired in the middle of the day. I'd pick something very close (walkable with whatever luggage you'll have then) to a RER station on the line from the airport or CDG airport bus stop that's also close to some stuff you want to do.

I'm not sure what downtown hotels offer day rates. You might need to contact the hotel directly if you can't find something on a chain hotel's website. Pay attention or negotiate the specific hours that you'll want the room; standard day use rates often are 9 am to 4 pm.

you didn't read the rest of the thread lol

tuono07 Mar 23, 2019 11:18 am

Kind of the same question. I'm looking at Slovenia and Croatia in early October and 1 of the flights has a 22 hr layover in CDG. We will arrive at 5:10 (hopefully check bags all the way through to ATL) then plan to take the train into Paris , dinner, stay downtown and catch the train back in the am for our 1:30 departure. what area of Paris has the most direct train access?

ajGoes Mar 23, 2019 11:22 am

Look for places near an RER B station. There are lots of options.

kmora Mar 23, 2019 2:00 pm

RER B takes you straight to St Michel, across from Notre Dame literally. Plenty to do around.

Goldorak Mar 23, 2019 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by tuono07 (Post 30920806)
Kind of the same question. I'm looking at Slovenia and Croatia in early October and 1 of the flights has a 22 hr layover in CDG. We will arrive at 5:10 (hopefully check bags all the way through to ATL) then plan to take the train into Paris , dinner, stay downtown and catch the train back in the am for our 1:30 departure. what area of Paris has the most direct train access?

With such a long and overnight layover, you’ll have to collect your bags in Paris and re-check them the next day.

tuono07 Mar 23, 2019 6:38 pm

I thought under 24 hours they might check through?

Tamino Mar 24, 2019 1:17 am

You can ask but Goldorak is correct.

MSPeconomist Mar 24, 2019 1:29 am

Originally Posted by mcbg1 (Post 30818196)
you didn't read the rest of the thread lol

I realize that the OP has already taken the trip and in fact has departed on AF (not immediately obvious what airline/terminal for the arriving flight and I'm not going to re-read the thread to check), but information on FT is for the benefit of everyone who at some point wants to check information about the same general question. I don't post specifically to help the OP and only the OP.

MSPeconomist Mar 24, 2019 1:31 am

Originally Posted by tuono07 (Post 30920806)

I think I just answered this question in detail within the last few hours. Did you also post in some other forum?

tuono07 Mar 24, 2019 1:40 pm

I may have. Sorry was up late🤪