Wiki Posts
Search

Sending 1 bottle of wine to usa?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Sending 1 bottle of wine to usa?

Any information about how much/how to/ is it possible? The reason I don't want to carry it iin my luggage s it is very valuable (and for a friend) and I'm worried that if the airline loses the bag I'll be in trouble.
I've transported wine in checked bags before but the cost of this (paid by them) is freaking me about unlikely things (altho my bag has been lost before), so
I thought I read that I could send a bottle of wine as a gift on the cpb site and a form I needed to do it, but after 2 hours of searching I can't find it !@!

So does anyone know if I can so this - I've read such conflicting info that my head is spinning and
NO the shop where this is being purchased seems to know nothing about shipping it to the US - other than maybe they will package it and I can take it to a post office (but then I read that it is illegal to mail alcohol in the US without a brokers license - argh)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
Any information about how much/how to/ is it possible?
Probably a lot. You can check it out on the website of the French post. Other providers will be more expensive. Probably around 40 USD. That won't account for any optional insurance or customs duties that will be payable.

Originally Posted by estnet
The reason I don't want to carry it iin my luggage s it is very valuable (and for a friend) and I'm worried that if the airline loses the bag I'll be in trouble.
You are worried that the airline may lose the bag but that the French Post, the USPS, or any intermediary won't?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Probably a lot. You can check it out on the website of the French post. Other providers will be more expensive. Probably around 40 USD. That won't account for any optional insurance or customs duties that will be payable.
You are worried that the airline may lose the bag but that the French Post, the USPS, or any intermediary won't?
Thanks for the reply - my friend checked fedex and it was $166 - or I think it was euros!
As for airline losing bag - I figured I could buy insurance for other shipping but not for airline (since I think I'm not supposed to have wine in luggage
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Wine in luggage is fine on every airline I've flown. I've even packaged a case of wine and flown it (all domestic US with a case but bottles in suitcases internationally) Only regulations I've seen have been on total ABV and a case of wine doesn't exceed. Check your airline regulations. I've brought wine on a lot of trips ;-) I'd definitely just package the bottle well (you can buy specialty packaging ahead of time) and put it in the checked suitcase.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You really need to do some research here. Not sure what carrier you are flying, but I have yet to see a major EU-US carrier which prohibits wine in general. Many have limits, but that is not the case for one bottle. You have not told us the value of the bottle, but on an international trip, the Montreal Convention would provide for the value of the suitcase and its contents up to a maximum of approximately EUR 1,450.

I cannot imagine shipping using postal or other standard private services. There are certainly shippers who specialize in the shipping and insuring of luxury goods, but those are going to be extraordinarily expensive.

Take a look at the baggage restrictions for the air carrier you will use, confirm for yourself that a single bottle of wine is acceptable and then pack it properly. This might include paying a professional to pack it for you.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Your friend is thoughtless.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Okay I think this has gone a bit off track - my friend isn't thoughtless - they have a medical condition that was unexpected and won't let them go themselves so asked me for a favor.
The problem for me is that I'm very weak and I was trying to avoid having to deal with carrying heavy (for me) luggage up and down stairs (metro), etc - and yes I know there are other ways of handling this but not everyone is young and strong This coupled with the fact that I could have sworn I saw a form online about shipping wine as a gift that I can no longer find led me to the hope that someone knew that form - but now it's all irrelevant.
Anyway I think I have the answer now - so thanks to those who tried to help

Oh and the issue about the airline was only partly value (I've taken wine in my luggage before and not had a problem - it was the special nature (emotional to the friend) and cost I was worried about) AND the thought that if the bag was delayed the wine might "disappear" if customs looked in my bag without me being there at that time (I never put anything of value in a checked bag)

Last edited by estnet; Nov 18, 2018 at 7:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.