Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Schengen Visa Application Questions

Old Oct 6, 18, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Pardon me if this is wrong forum/thread to ask this.
I want to apply for Schengen visa, entering/exiting France (CDG), and perhaps travel within EU countries, from 14-21 days, as tourist.
The application required an insurance covering EU30,000. Any suggestion how to get this, and what is the cost?

Also, anyone know how to actually making just a flight reservation, without actually pay for it? I fly domestic (within the USA) a lot, with some international flights, but they were all paid by the time of booking, not just mere reservation. So, making a flight reservation without actually paying it is a foreign to me.
(and I am not talking about refundable ticket)

Any suggestion is appreciated!
Old Oct 6, 18, 7:51 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
It hasn't been possible to make a flight reservation without paying something for many years. Some airlines offer a way to make a relatively small payment—United calls it FareLock—to save a fare for a week or so.

Why do you want to do this?
Old Oct 6, 18, 9:52 am
Original Poster

for Schengen Visa Application
Old Oct 6, 18, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless you are a high-end customer of a high-end and well-established TA, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to obtain a ticket without full payment and hard to have a reservation held for an appreciable period of time.

If the reason you are asking this question is that you must show proof of a ticket, then a fare lock will not suffice.

You should check the COC for the various carriers you are considering. Some will consider the denial of a visa a sufficient reason for a refund.
Old Oct 6, 18, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
It hasn't been possible to make a flight reservation without paying something for many years.
False. AA allows a five-day hold at no cost.
Old Oct 6, 18, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
False. AA allows a five-day hold at no cost.
I didn't know that. Their website says you can hold "selected flights" free for twenty-four hours and pay to hold them for longer periods.
Old Oct 7, 18, 4:57 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I assume your are not a US citizen asking about a short term visa (period of fewer than 12 months). I shouldn´t imagine that a 5 day ticket hold will be of any use to you. There are air carriers which sell tickets contingent upon your subsequent visa approval. I would check into the T & C of your preferred carrier.

I further assume that the 30,000€ guarantee is for repatriation expenses. There are companies specializing in coverage of this type. International SOS is one such company but they may only provide services to corporations.

You might pose this question on the Expat Forum which may be able to help you with details.
fivenue likes this.
Old Oct 7, 18, 8:01 am

You want a Visa to travel in the EU for 14-21 days? What passport do you hold? Many (most) passports allow 90 days travel in the Schengen Zone with no visa.

And if for some reason you do need a Visa, go to a resource that deals with French Visa matters-there is little expertise on that on Flyertalk.

American Airlines allows a free 5 day hold on award bookings, not regular cash bookings. I doubt this helps the OP. Full price tickets however are often fully refundable but check carefully before buying that the ticket had the refund provisions that you need.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Oct 7, 18 at 8:07 am
Old Oct 13, 18, 3:30 am
Original Poster

thanks much everyone, appreciate all inputs!

Search this Thread