Search

Two days in Paris. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Two days in Paris. Advice?

So I'll be in Paris for two days later this month. I would prefer to do sightseeing in the day time and shopping at night. What are the must see sights besides Louvre and Eiffel Tower? Any Parisian malls worth visiting? Good places to get cheap food? Does Paris' subway system have an Oyster card like system now or it uses tokens? Any other passes I should consider buying? Which prepaid carrier for roaming? Are there any simcards that allows me to top up online and keep the card active and maybe roam around the world?

Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Typically the must see sights of Paris take 3 to 4 full days. Availability of only 2 partial days means compromise and only you really know what you want to see and what you will be willing to overlook. I recommend a good guide book.

I don´t really think that there is a mall worth visiting anywhere on the globe but maybe the best Paris has to offer is the Forum des Halls in the 1st arrondissement. There are cheap places to eat all over Paris, none of which I might specifically recommend.

Paris has no Oyster card such as what one finds in London. The travel solutions are varied and depend greatly upon when you arrive and depart and how. You might consider a booklet of 10 tickets t+ which are valid on the bus, métro, tramway, or funicular. Cost is 14.90€ vs. the t+ individual cost of 1.90€. Tickets are sold at any train or métro station kiosk.

There are a number of SIM cards sold. More expensive cards are available by Orange, Bouygues, SFR, and FREE at their respective retail boutiques. Inexpensive options are Lebara or Lycamobile which sell cards at tabacs and magazine stores for as little as 10€. Recharging any of these on line with a non-French credit card will be highly problematic.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Tamino
There are a number of SIM cards sold. More expensive cards are available by Orange, Bouygues, SFR, and FREE at their respective retail boutiques. Inexpensive options are Lebara or Lycamobile which sell cards at tabacs and magazine stores for as little as 10€. Recharging any of these on line with a non-French credit card will be highly problematic.
Aside from the smoke it emitted from being so severely exercised, I had no problem recharging my Orange Holiday cards with an American credit card. (The Orange Holiday Plan is a massive rip-off especially if you're going to be in Europe for more than two weeks.)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
So I'll be in Paris for two days later this month. I would prefer to do sightseeing in the day time and shopping at night. What are the must see sights besides Louvre and Eiffel Tower? Any Parisian malls worth visiting? Good places to get cheap food? Does Paris' subway system have an Oyster card like system now or it uses tokens? Any other passes I should consider buying? Which prepaid carrier for roaming? Are there any simcards that allows me to top up online and keep the card active and maybe roam around the world?

Thanks.
Buy Rick Steve’s Paris 2018 and read-up.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
If you really want to spend some time shopping, you'd be better off admiring the high-end stores on the Champs-Élysées or visiting the Galéries Lafayette, the original department store.

If you visit the Louvre, you can leave the museum via the underground shopping mall attached to it. It looks like any upscale mall anywhere in the world, though, so you might as well visit one at home.

Last edited by ajGoes; Oct 7, 2018 at 8:01 am
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:45 am

Great information from those posting above. I'd add that taking time out to people watch and soak up the atmosphere adds a lot. There is simply so much to do in two days that a rush of sightseeing can blur the bigger picture. Enjoy.
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA
What are your interests (ie sightseeing) and what type of shopping are you looking for? Champs Elysee itself is filled with multinational chain stores — like the Disney Store, Levi’s, etc. Avenue Montaigne, r. Faubourg St. Honore, r. St. Anne for high end designers — Gucci Chanel.

department stores may be good as time is so limited— Bon March, Galeries Lafayette and Printemps
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Great information from those posting above. I'd add that taking time out to people watch and soak up the atmosphere adds a lot. There is simply so much to do in two days that a rush of sightseeing can blur the bigger picture. Enjoy.
This. Stroll through Luxemburg Gardens. Stroll along the Seine. Eat at outdoor bistros.
DCJoe1 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader

Buy Rick Steve’s Paris 2018 and read-up.
How do Rick Steves' guides compare with other travel books?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Analise
How do Rick Steves' guides compare with other travel books?
Steves says “You could spend a lifetime in Paris but you only have 3 days. I’ll show you how to make the most of your time and money”.

Steves’ books are the best I’ve seen for rating what is ok, good and great, then outlining how to do whatever activity you choose. Hours, days closed, how to avoid long lines, how much time people generally plan to spend there, etc.

His hotel recommendations are usually ok since hotels get a lot of business by being in his book. Frankly, I don’t use them much since you wind up in a hotel full of Rick Steves readers. Same for restaurants.

His books don’t try to drill deep into any subject. If you’re thinking of 2-3 hours in the Louvre, his Paris book has all you need. If you want to spend a day studying the sculptures, you’ll want a book with emphasis on that.
Analise likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: too many
So what did you end up doing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.