Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Nice to and from Monaco: car rental or public transport?

Old Aug 7, 18, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Iím planning to travel from Nice to Monte Carlo to spend a day and night there. Would you recommend that I rent a car for its flexibility, or is public transportation good enough? Looking for picturesque spots and a full French Rivera experience.
Old Aug 7, 18, 3:12 pm

Assuming you can access the Nice railway station and you are reasonably ambulatory, there's no need to rent a car to get to/from Monaco. TER services to/from Monaco are quite frequent (roughly every 20 minutes or so), cheap at just over €4 for a one-way ticket, and Monaco is generally walkable, though be aware that there can be elevation/terrain changes.

That being said, I find Monaco to be generally overrated and not worth an overnight stay, but your opinion may differ (particularly if you have lots of money!)
beachmiles likes this.
Old Aug 8, 18, 6:37 am

Programs: Hyatt
Unless you need a car in Monaco (I can't think of why you would), definitely take a train. Exploring villages between Nice and Monaco is a totally different story but that was not part of your question
Old Aug 10, 18, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
or take the helicopter from NCE Superb 7 min flight one-way, cheaper than a taxi between NCE and Monaco.
Old Aug 14, 18, 4:11 am

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
Sounds great, what is the cost and how is it arranged?
Old Aug 14, 18, 5:33 am

Programs: DL GM
i take the helicopter often the other direction (monaco to NCE) -- i work in monaco and it saves me a lot of time because you clear security out at the heliport in NCE and then get dropped off airside, ground transfer from my office is also included

i use monacair ... price is usually ~Ä150
Old Aug 15, 18, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by arubalad View Post
Sounds great, what is the cost and how is it arranged?
Originally Posted by roberta_h View Post
i take the helicopter often the other direction (monaco to NCE) -- i work in monaco and it saves me a lot of time because you clear security out at the heliport in NCE and then get dropped off airside, ground transfer from my office is also included

i use monacair ... price is usually ~Ä150
Here is a link to the relevant page of Nice airport site, listing the different options
https://en.nice.aeroport.fr/Passenge...copters/Monaco
Old Aug 15, 18, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Another recommendation for the helicopter...

Search this Thread