Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

How crazy to get with a CDG connection?

Old Aug 2, 18, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines

I've only connected through CDG once, and I remember it being a confusing an terrible airport

I currently am scheduled to arrive at CDG at 12:55 on FI - arriving at Terminal 1.
I will be in the front of the plane (row 2), traveling solo and with no checked bags.

Currently on a separate itinerary I have a AF flight departing for LHR at 16:00 out of Terminal 2E (not sure which hall, 2E appears to be half the airport).
That gives me about a 2.5 hour connection before boarding. Not worried about that connection.

I was thinking of taking a gamble and booking a BA flight from CDG to LHR departing at 14:10 out of either 2A or 2C (can't tell).
Assuming I arrive on time, get off the plane quickly... that gives me approximately 50 minutes to connect before they close the gate.

Is it even within the realm of possibility to connect between Terminal 1 to Terminal 2A/C in 50 minutes for a solo traveling with only a carry-on bag?

I would be keeping the AF ticket as a backup, as I scored it very cheap and its non-refundable anyway. So, no risk in being stranded if I miss the BA flight.
I'm just gambling the extra fare (USD $140) which I won't really be able to recoup due to change fees if I miss the flight.

It'd get me into the city 2 hours earlier (given my limited time to visit family on this trip, worth the cost to me) - but if its just not even realistically possible, I don't want to throw money away
Old Aug 2, 18, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Beyond bonkers!!!
Beyond any realm of probability or even possibility.
You do not have a connection. Period. You are two separate itineraries.
A general rule of thumb for CDG is three hours for transfers ...
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Aug 2, 18 at 6:08 pm Reason: removed reference to Schengen ... Iceland is in zone
Old Aug 3, 18, 7:20 am

Certainly it's possible. But only some of the time. The main variables are actual arrival time; time to clear immigration; travel time from T1 to 2A/C; passport control + security time at T2.

Let's start with arrival time. In the past 2 weeks (according to FlightAware), your Icelandic flight has arrived after 13:10 (i.e., at least 20 minutes late) 7 out of 14 days. Oops. My guess is that if you try this 10 times, you'll make the connection twice, maybe 3 times.

What's the change fee for taking the FI flight to LHR (leaves about the same time as the one to CDG)?
Old Aug 3, 18, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Change fee +fare difference to fly direct to LHR is a bit steep. I ended up with this crazy itinerary because I found a cheap business class fare on FI, but only to CDG, not LHR
I'll just stick with my 2.5 hour layover (thats 2.5 hours before boarding starts, so ~3 hours til gates close) and get into town a bit late.

Thx for putting me in the realm of reality

I figured with the train/transfer between terminals I'd get kicked out to the wrong side of security at some point. Hopefully immigration/passport control won't be a problem because I'll enter schengen zone in KEF.

Last edited by nearlysober; Aug 3, 18 at 5:37 pm Reason: schengen clarification

Search this Thread