Reload this Page >

Supermarket "Drive" Services

Old Jul 16, 18, 9:48 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere

Just a couple of weeks, and I'm headed to France to join the coastbound August hordes. Yay!

However... We're renting a place that's a fair distance from the bigger supermarkets, so I thought to stock up on the bulky essentials (we'll have a toddler with us) en route, using something like Leclerc Drive to keep things speedy. Once there, we can relax a bit and enjoy food shopping in markets, etc, but for dull essentials, I'm happy to duck in and out as quickly as possible.

How reliable are these services, in your experience? They exist here in the UK too, but I've never had cause to use them, as home delivery is very widespread in our densely populated little island...
Old Jul 18, 18, 3:32 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I have used the home delivery from Monoprix or Carrefour and they work well. I have never tried Drive but the only real difference is the actual delivery.

If you are traveling A10, there is now a Costco just south of the A6 turnoff.
Old Jul 18, 18, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I think I will give it a go. We'll be hiring a car from LRH, rather than taking the long drive, due to travelling with a small, restless person, and the ferry fares this year being MASSIVE in August.
Old Jul 25, 18, 4:16 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
The "Drive" services are totally reliable for all of the basic items. Being a city dweller, I have never used such a service but I would only worry about them if I were buying perishables.
Old Aug 4, 18, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Well, we picked up the messages on the way from LRH to our accommodation, and it couldn't have been smoother. Drive up, tap the app, and someone trundled the stuff out in about 2 minutes.

Lovely produce - even the fruit and salad for the first night was in great shape. Would definitely recommend to anyone renting somewhere and needing a base shop. Leclerc is one of the few that allows foreign cards to be used, but they're pretty much the best (IMHO) anyway.
Old Aug 4, 18, 7:42 am

So this is what we generally call a 'click-and-collect' service? i.e. you order online in advance and pick up from the store yourself.

Sounds like a good option for your trip.
Old Aug 4, 18, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

The very same. Never used it in the UK, as we have at least 6 options for home delivery (which we do every week). But it was a very sleek setup - certainly far moreso than my local Asda or Sainsbury's.

One note of caution, you may have to take a postcode to use it, and you will need to speak some French.
Old Aug 8, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Accor gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
So this is what we generally call a 'click-and-collect' service? i.e. you order online in advance and pick up from the store yourself.

Sounds like a good option for your trip.
Different it that there's usually a dedicated drive-thru area where you basically stay in/with your car. Otherwise yes.
Old Aug 13, 18, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe View Post
Different it that there's usually a dedicated drive-thru area where you basically stay in/with your car. Otherwise yes.
Exactly that. I know some of the UK click & collect services have dedicated parking spots with an intercom, this was a much bigger operation. It had its own dedicated cold store, and multiple drive-through bays. On arrival, you have several option, but I used the NFC one via the app, which identifies you and announces your arrival. The little post keeps you up to date, and someone appeared a couple of minutes later, with all the messages on stacked crates on a trolley base and helped me load them into an already rather packed car with a sleeping toddler in the back!

I've seen the busier operations easily have 10 bays all in concurrent use. I guess with a lower population density, this kind of approach works really well, particularly outside the big cities.

Search this Thread