Two weeks in Provence--looking for 3-4 base cities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold

Hi. We are going to Provence for two weeks in October. We will have a car and want advice on 3-4 cities to use as a base for the trip. Any tips on lodging and unique/good restaurants would be welcomed as well. I have already read related threads--thanks in advance!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by silver springer
Hi. We are going to Provence for two weeks in October. We will have a car and want advice on 3-4 cities to use as a base for the trip. Any tips on lodging and unique/good restaurants would be welcomed as well. I have already read related threads--thanks in advance!
Provence isn't THAT large; are you sure you want to be moving around that much?

Avignon, Aix, and if you want to stretch things, Nice & Lyon maybe? Are there particular interests (other than restaurants, which is not an area of expertise for me)? Natural parks, Roman ruins, Festivals (not likely in October), wineries?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Provence isn't THAT large; are you sure you want to be moving around that much?
Agreed. Seems a bit too much for me. I would stick to 2 bases. Max 3.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Avignon, Aix, and if you want to stretch things, Nice & Lyon maybe?
Nice and Lyon are not in Provence
Avignon and Aix ? Why not indeed. I could also recommend Moustiers Ste Marie for the splendid Verdon river gorges, and Gordes area.

Last edited by Goldorak; Jun 19, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gordes and the Luberon were gorgeous. Gordes is a tiny village, and you can see it all in about 20 minutes. There are a ton of cute hilltop villages in the area.

La Bastide de Gordes is a super-fancy hotel that we stayed at. It's a very relaxing place to hang out (if you can afford it) with two good restaurants. We found the hotel service in general to be a little overbearing, however.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Isles sur la Sorgue is a great little town to base yourself as well, known as the Venice of France according to the locals �� Not sure if that is a complement these days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.