Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Paris with two kids 7 and 10 for 48 hours

Old May 14, 18, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

I will taking my kids to Germany right after Christmas. The idea is to stop over in Paris for two days. I have read the master thread and the four entries with suggestions for kids. Nothing really applied.

We will be arriving at CDG on 12/27 at 1:25 PM and leaving CDG again on 12/29 at 1:30 PM. The trans Atlantic flight from the US leaves at 11 PM. I am hoping my kids and I will get some decent sleep and should be in ok condition when we arrive. We will be staying at the IC Paris. For transportation I am planning on uber/taxis to not tire them out with the subway, excessive walking.

The two days are for them and I'd like it to be an enjoyable experience first and foremost. I have done some research and found some to do items.

1. Eiffeltower. This is the only must do event. I will pre-purchase a skip the line tour and we will go as high as we can.
2. Circus. I will likely try to get tickets to a circus show or some other show, if anyone has suggestions. None of us speak French, however...
3. Carousels. We will definitely do some of those.
4. Window shopping at the department stores. I have read that some department stores have awesome displays.
5. Les Catacombes. I think they'd get a kick out of it and me as well...

Anything else? Are there any kids restaurants that would be fun to go to? I am planning on a Creperie. I see some McD. in the future as well.
Old May 14, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I'd take the metro over cabs for most journeys. It's faster and usually gets you to within a few hundred yards of your destination. And, if your kids are like I was on my first visits to Paris and don't live in a subway-equipped area, the metro itself will be an attraction. I'd avoid it during rush hour though.
Old May 14, 18, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

That's a good point.
Old May 15, 18, 7:50 am

I was nine and eleven during my first two sojourns in Paris, so I can relate a little to what your kids may experience. This was a very long time ago but some things haven't changed all that much.

My biggest disappointment was Versailles, which my mom had talked up quite a lot. When I revisited the palace thirty-five years later, I bumped into an American family with two kids of about the same age I'd been on my first visit -- and they were sulking around, thoroughly not enjoying it.

I was fascinated by the metro, the tiny elevators, the Eiffel Tower, the campground concierge's Solex moped, the electrical and plumbing hardware -- mechanical things that were dramatically different from anything I might see at home. My mom's enthusiasm for churches, especially rose windows, rubbed off a bit, and I enjoyed the gargoyles of Notre Dame, the stonework, and the dramatically huge ancient buildings overall.

The toy sailboats on the Grand Bassin of the Luxembourg Gardens were always fun, as were the carousels. I'm sure we visited the Musée des Arts et Métiers, which was one of the numerous "push-button museums" we kids looked forward to in our travels. In fact I remember the Foucault's Pendulum on display there.

I didn't get what Napoleon's Tomb was all about but I was impressed by its grandeur.

We didn't visit the Catacombes. I still haven't, but I'm pretty sure I'll be rectifying that oversight this summer when I'll be in Paris with my twelve- and fifteen-year-old grandkids.

Discovering eclairs was a delight, but now that first-rate pastries are often available in the States, your kids might not notice. Paris was where my mother introduced me to Grenadine (pomegranate syrup) in water, and I drank it everywhere we could find it in Europe. I was thrilled to eat octopus for the first time, too.

Language was never a problem for my family, as my mother was pretty fluent in French and my father could get by. I learned the language too, so I don't have problems communicating. But English is so widespread now that you'll have little trouble, except perhaps when you're trying to remember which way to go on the metro. Most of the lines end at polysyllabic stations whose names I find hard to remember even as a Francophone -- was it Aubervilliers (now known as Front Populaire) or Porte de Versailles? Jet-lag makes these names evaporate like morning dew.

You'll have a great time. Enjoy!
Old May 15, 18, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
There are the ice rings, check out where they are this year.

The Grand Palais has something unusual every year. Go on their web site and BUY tickets from NOW.

I would skip the circus...Just walking and seeing the lights is wonderful.

The Invalide is a wonderful place for the boys, so much to see. (War museum).
Old Jun 11, 18, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a good science museum including a submarine (IIRC additional ticket that might require a wait) in northeastern Paris, near the canal, probably in the 12th.

Good sorbet on Ille St Louis.

Climb the tour at Notre Dam for fun perspectives on the gargoyles and flying buttresses as well as the view. While you're there, the prison that's almost next door.

Maybe an art museum, but not the Louvre. Depending on interests, Picasso, Rodin or Gare D'Orsay. Or perhaps tapestries?

The museum of the Arab world near the river in the 5th (IIRC metro Place Jussieu) could be of interest, especially depending on the special exhibits. There's an interesting mosque in about the 14th.

Go to an outdoor market that has live animals and food that's barely dead (rabbits with feet not removed, etc.), maybe rue Mouftard depending on the day of the week. Would they like the flea market?

If you're in Paris around Christmas, don't miss the holiday lights (for example, Champs Elysees) and try to see at least one church/cathedral for the decorations and old manger scenes. I remember being impressed by the antique crèche at Saint Germain many years ago. You might also consider a short music event in one of the historic churches/cathedrals, especially if you can find Christmas carols at a convenient time/place.
Old Jun 13, 18, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Good sorbet on Ille St Louis.
Indeed, the Berthillon ice creams and sorbets are the best in the world

The museum of the Arab world near the river in the 5th (IIRC metro Place Jussieu) could be of interest, especially depending on the special exhibits. There's an interesting mosque in about the 14th.
the Paris mosque is in the 5th, very close to Jussieu/Arab world museum.

Go to an outdoor market that has live animals and food that's barely dead (rabbits with feet not removed, etc.), maybe rue Mouftard depending on the day of the week.
Rue Mouffetard
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 11:47 pm

Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvLTG, PCAmb
Stopping in Paris for 3 days in early January with a 8 and 2 year old on our way back from Italy, so have been similarly researching. Only request I have from the 8 year old so far is to have a baguette each day - so whatever we do should over deliver.

Eiffel Tower and a relatively quick Louvre visit are musts for us (older son is aware of the Mona Lisa, and I want him to see Hammurabi’s code so when it comes up in World History in a few years he can say he has seen it).

Pompidou Centre is also a probable stop - I read they have a couple kid focused areas and it is featured in a kids’ architecture book grandpa (who is an architect) gifted. And it is a cool space in general.

Certainly all the other places mentioned to walk around and see. A lot will depend on the weather. Have found some great lists by googling “Paris with kids.”
Old Jun 14, 18, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
We took our kids when they were 10 and 12.
It was in March, so a bit warmer but two things stood out for the 10 year old. And they were simple. Near the Louvre in the park is a small trampoline park. He loved it and made french friends. It is near the Westin, so on the western edge of the park. Nearby is a great place for treats & hot chocolate, Angelina's.
In Luxembourg Gardens there are some interesting things for kids including a Marionnettes, carousel, and swings. Of course, this assumes it is warm enough to be outside.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 15, 18, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
As well as a baguette every day, I do think that a visit to a patisserie every day has to be a must for your 8 year old.
Old Jun 16, 18, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a small square very near Pompideau Center with modern sculpture that I find much more interesting than the exhibits in Pompideau Center. The building itself was interesting when it opened, although I liked the views from the escalators almost more than the building, which now doesn't seem especially cool or anything.

Some kids might be interested in some of the idiosyncratic specialized museums in Paris. There's one for clocks and, in Ecole des Mines next to Luxembourg Gardens, a museum (very limited hours) for gems. I don't think it would interest most kids, but I love to go to the House of Baccarat (crystal museum) to see the antique chandeliers, etc.
Old Jun 18, 18, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Someone mentioned the Grand Palais in this thread. I am thinking of getting tickets to this event for children: https://billetterie.museeduluxembour...-ei593823.html

It could be fun but none of us speak French...
Old Jun 18, 18, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
Someone mentioned the Grand Palais in this thread. I am thinking of getting tickets to this event for children: https://billetterie.museeduluxembour...-ei593823.html

It could be fun but none of us speak French...
Looks enchanting -- but note that it's at the Musée du Luxembourg, not the Grand Palais. I saw a Mucha exhibit last winter and was blown away.

I think there's an excellent chance that someone in the studio will know enough English to help your kids out. At worst, they can get a lot out of the experience just by watching and copying. The announcement makes it sound like a lightly-guided studio, where the kids will have access to materials and tools like the ones Mucha used but won't receive instruction.
Old Jun 29, 18, 2:44 pm

If it is cold but you still want to 'see' Paris at your feet, consider going up the Montparnasse Tower .... it has an open deck on the top, but a good glassed in deck a floor below, with toilets, a coffee bar with reasonably priced hot chocolate! The lift up (not panoramic) is also a novelty for most kids.
Old Sep 25, 18, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
And the best bit about it is that you can't see the Tour Montparnasse from the top

Search this Thread