Wiki Posts
Search

Neighborhood for Niepce

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Neighborhood for Niepce

We have a July trip and can stay at the Opera or Niepce for basically the same amount of points. I realize the Niepce is new so not many reviews but but trying to get a feel for location, Opera would have a lounge but a smaller property somehow appeals to me a little. Is there much difference in the areas around the two hotels for exploring on foot?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew
We have a July trip and can stay at the Opera or Niepce for basically the same amount of points. I realize the Niepce is new so not many reviews but but trying to get a feel for location, Opera would have a lounge but a smaller property somehow appeals to me a little. Is there much difference in the areas around the two hotels for exploring on foot?
Hilton Opera definitely looks like a less appealing hotel. The neighborhood around there is pretty tourist heavy and shopping oriented- maybe the equivalent to staying near Union Square in San Francisco. But it is within about a 25-30 minute walk of the Louvre, less than 10 minutes to the actual Opera building. Perhaps more importantly it is right on top of the Saint-Lazare Metro station, which is a hub for 4 Metro lines. So getting around the city will be very quick and easy- take the 12 to Montmartre, the 14 to Chatelet and the Marais, etc. If you are going out to Giverny this will also be very convenient as Gare Saint-Lazare is also a main train station that serves that line.

The Niepce looks wonderful, but is in a much quieter part of town- definitely not very touristy and getting outside of the hippest parts of town. Relatively close to Gare Montparnasse, which is also a train station and metro hub, but it looks like a good 10 minute walk vs. being right on top like the Hilton Opera. Also not really walking distance to many traditional "sights" other than about 25-30 minutes from Jardin du Luxembourg. To certain extent the neighborhood doesn't matter, as much of the joy of being in Paris is just wandering streets and seeing what you see. But this will likely not be as much going on.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Thanks that was great, I showed your advice to my wife and she said she likes staying near Times Square and Union Square - I guess it’s her comfort level being around other tourists; me - not so much but I will defer to her.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew
Thanks that was great, I showed your advice to my wife and she said she likes staying near Times Square and Union Square - I guess it’s her comfort level being around other tourists; me - not so much but I will defer to her.
I am with you- don't like the experience of crowds the minute I walk out, don't see the appeal of being near the shopping.

But, happy wife happy life. So good call. You will love Paris either way, it is a wonderful city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.