Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Floods

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Paris Floods

So we have a trip coming up from 2/14 to 2/19 in Paris. Should I be more concerned about these floods? I know its 2 weeks away but assuming it recedes, would we be able to do touristy things. I saw on the news that the Arch is closed, etc. Will airlines and hotels issue waivers for cancellations for pre-paid rates or to switch airline routes??

I'm thinking that we wil have to seriously consider either changing out trip or if the airline doesnt budge then perhaps doing something else in france away from paris.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Did you see this post in the Fluctuat Nec Mergitur: Has Paris Gone in Seine? thread?
Originally Posted by Tamino
I drove out A13 yesterday and the Seine is very high. However, the reports that Paris is flooding are overblown and made by marginally responsible reporters looking for headline bait. Paris is definitely not flooding. Water is certainly high and there is concern that boats parked along the bank may drift over the quais and become trapped when the water recedes. To sell the story, there have been a lot of photos of the lower parts of Ile de la Cité being flooded, particularly near the Pont Neuf bridge, but these areas are well below grade and do not translate into street flooding in Paris.

Museums along the Seine have a protection protocol requiring them to remove works of art stored in basement areas. Both the Louvre and the Musée d´Orsay have completed this work but I have heard of no actual flooding in Paris other than below grade areas along the Seine´s banks.

There has been some flooding in certain areas outside of Paris but so far, everything is normal within the city.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Did you see this post in the Fluctuat Nec Mergitur: Has Paris Gone in Seine? thread?
I had NOT seen that, Thank you very much. I wasn't truly very concerned but then just like that post mentions I started googling and well the photos looks like everyone needs a boat. Thanks for that, I will now stop freaking out about this LOL
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by miadukes
I had NOT seen that, Thank you very much. I wasn't truly very concerned but then just like that post mentions I started googling and well the photos looks like everyone needs a boat. Thanks for that, I will now stop freaking out about this LOL
yes, don’t worry. Come and enjoy
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by ShopAround
Regretfully, I missed the thread.

But I´ll bet it was more captivating, more fascinating to read about the pending doom and destruction facing Paris than it is to have someone who actually lives in Paris tell you that there is no flooding on the streets.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
delete

Last edited by Giggleswick; Jan 30, 2018 at 1:42 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Regretfully, I missed the thread.

But I´ll bet it was more captivating, more fascinating to read about the pending doom and destruction facing Paris than it is to have someone who actually lives in Paris tell you that there is no flooding on the streets.
No, i'd rather hear that there is no flooding. LOL I would like to make sure I get to show my mom everything, its her first time and she was very excited to go after my first trip.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:56 am

In two weeks the water should recede but even if you were here today, high water would have little to no impact on what you can see and do.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

In two weeks the water should recede but even if you were here today, high water would have little to no impact on what you can see and do.
That's awesome!! It seems the news is just like in Florida after the hurricane, camped out in front of the WORST looking street in all the city saying its total destruction. When in fact, its opposite. I am glad I asked or I would have been anxious for the next two weeks! LOL
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:08 am

It seems the news is just like in Florida after the hurricane, camped out in front of the WORST looking street in all the city saying its total destruction. When in fact, its opposite.
Exactly. All of the flooding photos I have seen of Paris were all taken along the banks of the Seine, areas well below grade. The Seine is very high and there has been some relatively minor flooding in several small areas well outside of Paris but nothing has yet to occur that would have any noticeable impact of tourism.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Paris is fine and all the sites are open. The city/country will never allow Paris to drown. Yes there are some areas (below normal street levels that are flooded, it happens a lot) but everything else is fine.

Even my friends who live in a peniche are fine. Here is a photo I took on saturday going home after the market. The trees, those are under street level and had there been street flooding we would have been warned.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:15 am

Not to worry

We left Paris yesterday after being there over a week. The only noticeable differences were the number of people on the bridges and banks of the Seine, looking at the elevated water level. And the Islamic art galleries at the Louvre were closed. Both should be back to normal in 2 weeks.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info everyone. Looking forward to a good trip.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Thanks for all the info everyone. Looking forward to a good trip.

Come and have a great time in the most beautiful city, rain/fog or shine. Just bring an umbrella.... and practice your rowing strokes.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:17 pm

I might include goulashes as well as umbrellas as the rain continues.

I checked the Seine today and the current looked fierce. I´d forget the oars and insist upon something with internal combustion capability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.