Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur: Has Paris Gone in Seine?

Old Jan 29, 18, 1:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere

Hope all of our Seine-side correspondents are well and have dry feet. As ever, reports about the floods are varying between the sensationalist (24-hour rolling coverage of the Eiffel Tower from a riverside angle that makes it look like it's surrounded by water) and the reassuringly dull (it's nothing close to 1910, it's a slow-draining river, but there's no more rain/thaw forecast upstream so this is as high as it'll get).

As far as I can see, the main logistical impacts inside Paris are the closure of the quayside expressways and the RER C (although frankly, my 80-year-old mother-in-law can walk faster than the latter).

The reports all make reference to how it's a bit worse in some suburbs but, naturally, who cares about those! Er, well... How is it NW of Paris at the moment? Is the Seine haute in Hauts-de-Seine?

Any experiences on the ground would be most welcome.
Old Jan 29, 18, 2:12 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I drove out A13 yesterday and the Seine is very high. However, the reports that Paris is flooding are overblown and made by marginally responsible reporters looking for headline bait. Paris is definitely not flooding. Water is certainly high and there is concern that boats parked along the bank may drift over the quais and become trapped when the water recedes. To sell the story, there have been a lot of photos of the lower parts of Ile de la Cité being flooded, particularly near the Pont Neuf bridge, but these areas are well below grade and do not translate into street flooding in Paris.

Museums along the Seine have a protection protocol requiring them to remove works of art stored in basement areas. Both the Louvre and the Musée d´Orsay have completed this work but I have heard of no actual flooding in Paris other than below grade areas along the Seine´s banks.

There has been some flooding in certain areas outside of Paris but so far, everything is normal within the city.
Old Jan 30, 18, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I live right next to the tower and haven't seen the floods they are talking about. Yes the river is high and the tourist boats are going, but that is all. RER C isn't working but it has been stopped until next year for improvement work.
Old Jan 30, 18, 8:30 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by stut View Post
and the RER C (although frankly, my 80-year-old mother-in-law can walk faster than the latter).

Search this Thread