FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   New security checks at CDG going to USA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1882336-new-security-checks-cdg-going-usa.html)

randysea Dec 12, 2017 3:55 am

New security checks at CDG going to USA?

I have been reading about some new security checks being placed on travelers from Europe to the US. Does anyone have recent experience at CDG with this?

I'm on the 10h10 Delta flight this Saturday to Seattle. I have Delta Silver so no Sky Priority at CDG. (I also have Global Access, but don't know if there is any benefit for the new security at this end.) Sometimes they do let me pass. on the SP lines, but I think Delta or Air France now has two new, separate lines for these flights.

As recently as last April I was arriving at CDG 2 hours before my flight and typically had an hour to spare. I am wondering if this is now enough.

Tamino Dec 12, 2017 4:48 am

I passed through CDG going to ORD a few days ago. The only change I noticed was that when passports are checked by airline staff, they enter into meaningless banter about nothing in particular, supposedly to assess you overall threat potential.

I didnīt really feel motived to discuss my food preferences with a stranger at the airport but there it is.

randysea Dec 12, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks, Tamino. That's what I'd hope to hear.

Goldorak Dec 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by randysea (Post 29163948)
I'm on the 10h10 Delta flight this Saturday to Seattle.

As recently as last April I was arriving at CDG 2 hours before my flight and typically had an hour to spare. I am wondering if this is now enough.

This is the busiest bank of the Skyteam hub at CDG (called P2 bank) and immigration can take forever. As you have no SkyP access, 2 hrs is very risky. Plan 3 hrs.

lhrsfo Dec 13, 2017 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 29166034)
This is the busiest bank of the Skyteam hub at CDG (called P2 bank) and immigration can take forever. As you have no SkyP access, 2 hrs is very risky. Plan 3 hrs.

Not sure why Immigration is an issue here. The OP is departing Paris and will only encounter immigration in SEA.

Goldorak Dec 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 29168822)
Not sure why Immigration is an issue here. The OP is departing Paris and will only encounter immigration in SEA.

never heard about immigration control to leave the Schengen area ?

Yahillwe Dec 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 29171112)

never heard about immigration control to leave the Schengen area ?

When leaving from France to a non-Schengen country, you always have to go through immigration, even when going on the Eurostar to the UK.

GUWonder Dec 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 29174793)
When leaving from France to a non-Schengen country, you always have to go through immigration, even when going on the Eurostar to the UK.

I think that was the point, and why the question mark was where it was. The rhetorical question was built on the assumption that lhrsfo also knows that there is Schengen exit passport control. Emigration control vs immigration control. But immigration control generally is taken to include migration, be it immigration or emigration.

Goldorak Dec 15, 2017 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 29174793)

I know, hence the question mark at the end of the sentence. ;)

Yahillwe Dec 15, 2017 6:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 29175088)
I think that was the point, and why the question mark was where it was. The rhetorical question was built on the assumption that lhrsfo also knows that there is Schengen exit passport control. Emigration control vs immigration control. But immigration control generally is taken to include migration, be it immigration or emigration.

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 29176299)

I know, hence the question mark at the end of the sentence. ;)

Apologies, reading late at night and without glasses.