Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

CDG connection 2A to 1 and back

Old Nov 22, 17, 8:44 am
Original Poster

In December I'm going to fly with AA to CDG, arriving in T2A.
I have a connection there to FRA, which is on another ticket (LH), leaving in T1.
A few days later, the same connection for return. Layover is 1:50h on outbound and 2:45h on return.
I've a European passport, so immigration will hopefully be quick. Still, my one prior experience in CDG wasn't the greatest in terms of connection efficiency.
  • Should I be worried generally to get the connection through security and all in time?
  • The LH flight (which I connect to on the first flight) is business. Does that make a significant difference for security lane in T1? Would it also make a difference for T2A in case I get the upgrade for the AA flight? Without the upgrade, does my EXP status help anything?
  • Would it be unreasonable to take a checked bag with these connection times?
Thank you so much.

Last edited by matt85; Nov 22, 17 at 8:57 am Reason: More information
Old Nov 22, 17, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AF Gold
Especially your outbound leg sounds a bit stressful to me, return should be ok. IIRC MCT T2-T1 is 2h.

From T2A, you first have to get to the CDGVAL train which connects to T1. CDGVAL is located between 2D and 2F, so either some longer walk or hop on the shuttle bus, which time-wise is maybe comparable.
Security control in T1 can sometimes be a bit of a mess.
Luggage? I won't check luggage with such a connection (On my last TATL flight, I waited 50 minutes for my luggage), even if I experienced that LH at CDG is more strict with carry-on limits than at other airports. But minor issue as you fly in J.

So overall, it will depend on the punctuality of your flight to CDG and if you arrive in a peak time or not.
Old Nov 22, 17, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by matt85 View Post
In December I'm going to fly with AA to CDG, arriving in T2A.
I have a connection there to FRA, which is on another ticket (LH), leaving in T1.
A few days later, the same connection for return. Layover is 1:50h on outbound and 2:45h on return.
I've a European passport, so immigration will hopefully be quick. Still, my one prior experience in CDG wasn't the greatest in terms of connection efficiency.
  • Should I be worried generally to get the connection through security and all in time?
  • Would it be unreasonable to take a checked bag with these connection times?
Thank you so much.
I definitely wouldn't try checking a bag on the AA to LH connection. AA will not check through on separate tickets, so you would equivalently only be left with 1hr 10 minutes to pass through immigration, collect luggage, transfer to T1 and check in with LH.
Old Nov 22, 17, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I will not check a bag on the inbound flight then. I'm planning to take some things home with me, so what I could do is buy a cheap piece of luggage in Germany and only check it on the return flight. With the 2:45h layover, it appears like this could work. It's 8am on a Sunday...
For the shorter connection AA-LH: It sounds like 1:50h is tight, but could work? Does the ticket in J on LH help any with that: E.g. is there an fast lane security in T1 for LH? That one is on a Friday at 9am, so should be busier.
Old Nov 22, 17, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Just found out about interlining. Never knew such a thing existed. Is it possible to check my luggage on the return flight from FRA to PHL (my port of entry in the US)? It's LH from FRA-CDG, and AA CDG-PHL. ExpertFlyer says LH does have an interlining agreement with AA.
Old Nov 24, 17, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by matt85 View Post
Just found out about interlining. Never knew such a thing existed. Is it possible to check my luggage on the return flight from FRA to PHL (my port of entry in the US)? It's LH from FRA-CDG, and AA CDG-PHL. ExpertFlyer says LH does have an interlining agreement with AA.
of course AA and LH have an interline agreement, but that’s irrelevant here as you are on separate tickets. As said by another poster, those 2 airlines will likely refuse to check bags through on separate tickets as they are more and more reluctant to do so and they belong to different alliances, so no « gesture » can be expected.
Your 1h50 layover from AA to LH is worrying. When traveling on separate tickets, it is always available to schedule at least 3 hours. The concern I have for you is immigration in CDG. It can be horribly crowded at some time. For sure, if you have bags to collect, you can forget about your plan.
You said you have a LH ticket in J and FRA has multiple daily flights, so your tickets may be flexible and so if you miss your connection, you might rebook on the next flight for free ?
Old Nov 24, 17, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

I'll not take luggage on the inbound flight, thanks for the advice here. I understand that 1:50h still can be too short, so the rebooking option is interesting, I'll call LH to confirm that. I initially got an "Economy Classic" fare but upgraded with miles to business. Not sure about actual fare class, but my flight is marked as "rebooking possible" at LH.com.
It's just that the next LH flight leaves more than 3 hours later. Ideally I can still shoot for the tight one and only rebook once/if I've in fact missed it.
Only time I've passed immigration in CDG was 6 years ago. Maybe I'm too optimistic in my hope that as EU citizen there may be a quicker wait than average.

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 17, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
AA Phl-CDG

I fly into 2A on AA a lot, but usually through another connecting city. Thurs morning,Nov 23, I flew in from PHL on the 8:40 arrival flight. Sometimes the immigration lines are awful, even in business, but this time the walk was short and there was nobody in the immigration line. We were the first flight in that morning. I agree on taking no luggage in for the LH connect, but you might get lucky on the early morning arrival, too. Just make sure where the connector bus will stop;there's always some kind of construction in the traffic lanes around Terminal 2.
Old Nov 26, 17, 7:50 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Attempting a 1+50 connect through CDG on separate tickets is not setting yourself up for success. Even without checking luggage and carrying an EU passport , IŽll be surprised if you make it, but you might.

Returning, most airlines now formally recommend you be at their CDG check in desk at least 3 hours before scheduled departure. For a period of time AA was recommending 4 hours. 2+45 is really pushing the envelop but traveling business and having an EU passport will help.

Good luck.
Old Nov 26, 17, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Wow. 2:45h connection for the return flight (2a-1) is pushing it? I might not have grasped the scale of that terminal transfer then. On that flight I'm not in business, unless my SWU for the second leg clears, which is unlikely given that most seats are taken currently.
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Based on 1:50 being too close, I've rebooked and now have a layover of 5:00 on the first flight. Hopefully I don't die of boredom ;-)
The return flight FRA-CDG-PHL with 2:50 remains, there is no earlier flight from Frankfurt. Arriving Sunday 8am, I hope that's going to be a low traffic time and it'll work out.
And you're right, even today AA.com still recommends 4 hours for CDG departures.
Old Dec 8, 17, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Part 1 how it played out: Immigration in CDG was super empty for EU citizen and took 1 minute. I did not take a shuttle bus but swiftly walked from 2A to CDGVAL train. Security in T1 was somewhat crowded but with Access One because of J I could walk past the complete line. Gate to gate 35 min, seriously. This is definitely best case, I was never in line and I'm used to fast pace airport walks. That was in J, EU citizen, only carry on, on Friday morning. I did however even check-in at the LH desk and not beforehand via app, so you could shave off 3-5 min with that.

BUT: The departure to CDG was 2 hours delayed. Had I not rebooked to that previously seemingly horrible 5 hour layover, I would have had no chance of making it.

Last edited by matt85; Dec 8, 17 at 4:42 am Reason: Auto complete
Old Dec 8, 17, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Not that it matters now, but you never had a connection. You were on two separate tickets. Had you not rebooked your second flight, you would have had to buy a new LH ticket as both the outbound and inbound segments on that would automatically have cancelled as you would have no-showed. Separate tickets are always risky...
Old Dec 8, 17, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Yes, I'm aware of that. The CDG-FRA flight isn't exactly super expensive so I was willing to take the risk. More important is to make the return one, but there's more buffer inbetween than the original outbound one.
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Part 2 is done as well. There was a major hiccup but it worked out in the end, just very very tight. My FRA-CDG flight got cancelled late night before the very early departure. I quickly booked an Air France flight with very similar timing. Hopefully LH will cover the cost of that expensive ticket, and they likely will as the EU cancellation penalty should apply.
However, even that AF flight arrived almost an hour late, but into 2F which took me about 15 min to arrive 2A on foot. Third row, carry-on only, otherwise impossible.
While boarding was some time out, check in was way too close for comfort, I arrived 3 min to the deadline with very fast pace. Without the ticket being J, this would have been impossible as the counters and immigration and security was seriously crowded. Premiere No 1 pass made this pretty quick though.
While it was some bad luck to have that flight cancelled, the original 2:45h was definitely not an ideal layover time considering what can go wrong.

Search this Thread