FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   LYS new terminal T1B (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1873499-lys-new-terminal-t1b.html)

stimpy Oct 23, 2017 12:26 am

LYS new terminal T1B

A few weeks ago all the politicians were crowing about the "wonderful" new terminal here at LYS, so I was dreading it from the start. Now I'm here for the first time, and I give it a rather mixed review.

The first impression is very poor as it is a country mile walk from public transport to this new terminal.

The second impression is also poor in that, materially, they have installed British style security in this new terminal. Fortunately the staff are still French and just as polite as before. And very notably they do not care if you have tiny sub-100ml liquids in your bag. ^ However we now have the same trays and belt as LHR. There is also a nude-o-scope for secondary screening, but I didn't see it being used this morning.

Third impression is that we are still in the UK as we walk through the bright new LHR T5 style shopping area and then dump into the main terminal. I don't feel at all like I'm in France. It's nice that it is very large and open, but that means a longer walk to the gates and lounge. Also when you first walk into this terminal there are no signs for the lounges. You have to walk around a bit before you see a sign. For Schengen there is the Salon Confluence and for non-Schengen you have the Salon Mont Blanc. At least that's the way it appears to be now. See https://store.lyonaeroports.com/offres-salons.html

But thumbs up for this new Confluence lounge. It's much larger and brighter with big comfortable chairs. Lots of power and USB ports everywhere. In the back there's a separate room with faux wood paneling and faux deer heads on the wall next to skis and a giant screen TV. And even more comfortable chairs. This has to be the best lounge of any airport in France that's not at CDG. Same drinks selection, which was always rather good for a regional airport, plus they've added Grimbergen. ^

Walking past T1A on the way here, I see it appears to be closed. So I guess they will do some construction to make it like T1B. Maybe then the walk will be shorter for major airlines like LH, etc.

My judgement for regular LYS travelers: We've lost our simple, easy to use airport. :(

My judgement for tourists and Lyon tourism in general: You will be as happy and comfortable here as you are at any modern new international airport. LYS can now accommodate another million or so extra travelers.

Goldorak Oct 23, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi Stimpy :)
which airlines are using this new terminal ?

stimpy Oct 23, 2017 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 28967618)
Hi Stimpy :)
which airlines are using this new terminal ?

It's changing almost every week. See https://www.lyonaeroports.com/en/pra...ew-terminal-1B

GUWonder Oct 28, 2017 5:58 am

In terms of hotels for overnight stays for early morning departures out of LYS, what’s the hotel situation now like with regard to the updated airport?

The NH is still the way to go?

stimpy Oct 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 28986971)
In terms of hotels for overnight stays for early morning departures out of LYS, what’s the hotel situation now like with regard to the updated airport?

Nothing has changed. Either the nice but expensive NH, or the cheap and awful Ibis Budget. Actually the Ibis is decent in most every way except the bed is like sleeping on a board.

stimpy Dec 15, 2017 10:03 am

I'm back again in the lounge, this time in the evening. And they have hot food! Blanquette de Veau no less. Also mini-pizzas, rice, pasta and ratatouille. And the usual food that is available all day.

Goldorak Dec 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 29177836)
I'm back again in the lounge, this time in the evening. And they have hot food! Blanquette de Veau no less. Also mini-pizzas, rice, pasta and ratatouille. And the usual food that is available all day.

OMG !!! one of my favorite dish ;)

stimpy Dec 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 28964927)
LYS can now accommodate another million or so extra travelers.

To score this point, LYS just passed 10 million pax for 2017. A new record.

krispy84 Jun 19, 2019 11:31 am

Have just arrived at Lyon Terminal 1B from LHR. For a new build, first world airport, it is terrible.

Incomplete HVAC. Is this 2019 or 1989? Nothing on the jet ‘extension’ bridge, something on the weird horticultural curved corridor, nothing after immigration, and then something at baggage reclaim. This didn’t feel like a failure, it seemed as it was designed.

Very low right-angled ceiling on the way down to baggage reclaim. Terrible GCSE level design.

Oh, and the much vaunted biometric gates were all closed, with 2 ‘Any’ booths manned for passport control. Welcome to France!

dhammer53 Aug 10, 2023 9:04 am

Any summer 2023 updates? I'm flying in JFK/AMS/LYS and will depart a few days later LYS/CDG/JFK.

Thanks.
dhammer53

stimpy Aug 10, 2023 11:37 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 35486280)
Any summer 2023 updates? I'm flying in JFK/AMS/LYS and will depart a few days later LYS/CDG/JFK.

Hi Dan,

I am there often, usually JFK-CDG-LYS, but via AMS is the same. I am not sure if the automatic passport machines accept US passports, but they work very well with EU passports. And you will immigrate at AMS anyways.

T1 is very nice and new and the lounge is pretty good for a tier 2 airport. If you have elite status on Skyteam it will be even easier as you can avoid the [I[vacanciers[/I] who populate the airport this month.

And with elite status or business class you can use the priority security check in lane which really helps when it is busy. It is the furthest to the left when you arrive at security.

allset2travel Sep 27, 2023 10:46 am

OWE flying RJ LYS-AMM, which lounge (if any) to use? Conference and Mont Blanc are shown on oneworld web site.

mlin32 Sep 28, 2023 6:23 am

I believe only Mont Blanc would be available to you as your flight is non-Schengen.

allset2travel Sep 30, 2023 11:47 am

Originally Posted by mlin32 (Post 35619398)
I believe only Mont Blanc would be available to you as your flight is non-Schengen.

Thank you, good to know!

allset2travel Nov 6, 2023 9:22 am

During checkin, RJ directed me to the Confluence Lounge, which was average. My main interest was to get me devices fully charge and that was no problem at all.