Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

One night in Toulouse as a jet lag stopover: Airport or Town?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:47 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am helping some friends put together a trip to Gascony late summer 2018. Their itinerary puts them after a long trans Atlantic flight in Toulouse for one night ( arriving mid day) before they pick up their rental car the next morning and start their sojourn south.

Should they stay at a hotel near the airport or go into town even though they probably will just sleep? Would a airport hotel be more convenient for the car pickup the next day? Hotel recommendations?

I don't know the layout of Toulouse at all so perhaps my question is silly......Thanks so much for any feedback.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
If they want to adjust to local time, the solution is certainly not to sleep the entire afternoon when they'll arrive. They should eventually take a 2hrs nap and that's it. Given this, they will be better downtown. And why not changing the rental location place for a downtown one ?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by david55
I am helping some friends put together a trip to Gascony late summer 2018. Their itinerary puts them after a long trans Atlantic flight in Toulouse for one night ( arriving mid day) before they pick up their rental car the next morning and start their sojourn south.

Should they stay at a hotel near the airport or go into town even though they probably will just sleep? Would a airport hotel be more convenient for the car pickup the next day? Hotel recommendations?

I don't know the layout of Toulouse at all so perhaps my question is silly......Thanks so much for any feedback.
After a long haul flight, they may have felt sleeping because of jet lag. It would be great if they book a hotel in Toulouse city. It would take around 20 mins from the airport to city. This way, they can snap enough and explore the downtown.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Sleeping in the afternoon is a bad idea and risks ruining the trip

Staying in town with a full itinerary on the first afternoon is better
Goldorak likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: FB Gold
Toulouse is a nice city to just stroll around, even if you're not in the mood to do a lot of sightseeing. I would recommend them spend an afternoon/evening in the city centre. Toulouse has also an urban métro system.

They can take the express bus that stops right outside the aéroport exit, and takes you to the centre. Plenty of hotels near the Capitole and along/near Blvd de Strasbourg, and good eats. Hotel recommendations will depend on what range you're looking for but there are plenty of choices you can book closer in to the travel date. There are also a handful of car hire places in the city and at the Gare Matabiau.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Sleeping in the afternoon is a bad idea and risks ruining the trip

Staying in town with a full itinerary on the first afternoon is better
I agree with your recommendations that 'Sleeping in the afternoon is a bad idea.'

Most of the time, one does long haul flight journey, one at least feels tired. When one in that situation, one can't enjoy the trip. So it is better to take some rest and enjoy the trip with fullest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.