Transit CDG to LHR

Old Sep 2, 17, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Transit CDG to LHR

Arriving from WAS to CDG and flying to LHR on separate ticket. Is 3hrs enough to clear immigration/customs and re-enter security? I am assuming Iíll have to exit out of airside since itís a separate ticket.
Old Sep 2, 17, 4:36 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If you are traveling from IAD to LHR via CDG on separate tickets, 3 hours is not sufficient time to assure your success. CDG is not the airport to attempt a separate ticket connection.
Old Sep 2, 17, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
If you are traveling from IAD to LHR via CDG on separate tickets, 3 hours is not sufficient time to assure your success. CDG is not the airport to attempt a separate ticket connection.
Even with no checked bags? Weíre just bringing 1 carryon bag each.
Old Sep 2, 17, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Nevermind. We arrive at gate 2E and departure is at 2A. Looks like we can just walk it in less than 30min without going through immigration since we have no checked bags.
Old Sep 3, 17, 10:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue
You'll have to go through immigration arriving from outside of the Schengen zone, and then you'll have to go through passport control again since you'll be leaving the Schengen zone. There is a chance that there is some place for you to check in for your second flight in the transit zone, but since you are on a separate ticket, perhaps not unless you are on AF for both flights.

Don't stop for coffee.
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:39 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by FlyAsia1 View Post
Nevermind. We arrive at gate 2E and departure is at 2A. Looks like we can just walk it in less than 30min without going through immigration since we have no checked bags.
Unless I am mistaken, there is no way you can walk from 2E to 2A while remaining in the international area. There is an airside bus, though.
Old Sep 3, 17, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31 View Post
Unless I am mistaken, there is no way you can walk from 2E to 2A while remaining in the international area. There is an airside bus, though.
correct, walking is not possible. If OP can OLCI, he can take the airside bus, otherwise he has to immigrate at 2E and walk over to 2A landsidec (15 minutes walk). Without checked bags, 3 hours is sufficient even with some delay on the incoming flight.
Old Sep 3, 17, 3:32 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by MarLim View Post
Without checked bags, 3 hours is sufficient even with some delay on the incoming flight.
I have heard numerous recent reports of Immigration and/or passport control taking 1+ hours each. This does not include time at security. I personally would not attempt making a second flight with only 3 hours on the ground.
Old Sep 3, 17, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
I have heard numerous recent reports of Immigration and/or passport control taking 1+ hours each. This does not include time at security. I personally would not attempt making a second flight with only 3 hours on the ground.
Well, itís 7:45am in the morning. Maybe Iíll get lucky.
Old Sep 3, 17, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarLim View Post
correct, walking is not possible. If OP can OLCI, he can take the airside bus, otherwise he has to immigrate at 2E and walk over to 2A landsidec (15 minutes walk). Without checked bags, 3 hours is sufficient even with some delay on the incoming flight.
OLCI? Edit: never mind, online checkin. Actually I was planning to do that as soon as I landed at CDG.
Old Sep 3, 17, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Well, itís 7:45am in the morning. Maybe Iíll get lucky.
That's a very busy time for immigration at CDG.

OLCI? Edit: never mind, online checkin. Actually I was planning to do that as soon as I landed at CDG.
How are you planning to print the boarding pass or are you assuming that your airline and security/immigration will allow you to use a boarding pass on your phone? You don't say what the airline is, but it would seem not to be AF so I'm guessing BA.
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
To OP : if you can do OLCI and have only carry-ons, it is feasible in 3hrs as you don't have immigration to clear (just security). Take the airside bus.
With checked bags, you would have to go landside (and so clear immigration twice) and 3hrs would be risky knowing how crowded immigration could be at that time (morning).
But if you want to make it easier' instead of flying BA to LHR, just connect to AF. It will be a very easy intra-2E connection.
Old Sep 4, 17, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
That's a very busy time for immigration at CDG.

How are you planning to print the boarding pass or are you assuming that your airline and security/immigration will allow you to use a boarding pass on your phone? You don't say what the airline is, but it would seem not to be AF so I'm guessing BA.
Yes. Iím flying BA to LHR.
Old Sep 6, 17, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Just an update for future flyers:

I had no problems transiting to 2A from 2E. Just head towards connections/transfers area after deplaning at 2E, and all I had to do was go through a security check (X-ray scan of bags and metal detector). A bus drove from 2E to 2A. Whole process took about an hour and the longest part was the bus ride because it stopped at multiple places on the way to 2A. Even had time to walk over to Air Canada lounge and chill before getting on my BA flight.
Old Sep 6, 17, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Just an update for future flyers:

I had no problems transiting to 2A from 2E. Just head towards connections/transfers area after deplaning at 2E, and all I had to do was go through a security check (X-ray scan of bags and metal detector). A bus drove from 2E to 2A. Whole process took about an hour and the longest part was the bus ride because it stopped at multiple places on the way to 2A. Even had time to walk over to Air Canada lounge and chill before getting on my BA flight.
Almost forgot. Online checkin worked fine and CDG staff had no problems with the boarding pass on my phone. Also, I didnít have checked bags, so didnít have to clear immigration/passport control at all.

Search this Thread