Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Question about timing at CDG Terminal 1

Old Aug 6, 17, 8:42 am
Original Poster

I am wondering if someone can help me out. I am arriving at Terminal 1 at CDG at 12:55pm on September 5. How long do you think it will take for me to clear immigration, customs etc and be outside ready to catch a taxi?

Here's the reason... I am trying to make a 3:55 train at Gare Montparnasse which will take me to Pontorson / Mt. St. Micheal via Rennes

Please let me know what you think? There is a bus that leaves T1 at 2:42 which would get me there within the time for the train. . Any other options besides the taxi from T1 and the bus?

Thanks
Old Aug 6, 17, 9:14 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
As you are only scheduled to land at 12h55, no one know exactly how much time you will actually have to reach Montparnasse. Assuming you are checking luggage, I would allow 30 minutes to deplane and collect luggage, Immigration can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour+, the official taxi queues are just steps from the Customs exits. There is never any delay at Customs.

Processing at CDG can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 90 minutes. There have recently been significant delays a Immigration, both inbound and outbound. You could make a 15h55 Montparnasse train but I would not attempt the bus, take a taxi. The price is fixed at 55€.

Overall, 3 hours is not sufficient time to guarantee your making a CDG to Montparnasse connection on any consistent basis.
Old Aug 6, 17, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I am hopeful that I can make it to the train. I know there are a lot of factors involved and it will be tight.
Old Aug 6, 17, 10:53 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
That's an hour tighter than I would plan for that transfer. Doesn't look like you have a choice either; I checked the train schedules and that's your only option.

September 5th is a weekday; traffic can be a real crapshoot. If there's construction, the trip can take quite a bit longer than normal.

Are you familiar with Gare Montparnasse? It's huge, two separate terminals actually, so you want to make sure you go to the right one. If you purchased your tickets via trainline.eu, you'll get platform notification which can be a real help.
Old Aug 7, 17, 12:21 pm

I know the RER isn't perfect, but I wouldn't chance the traffic. RER B to Denfert-Rocherou, then the 6 to Gare Montparnasse. Should be about 1:05 or so from exiting customs to getting off the 6 at Montparnasse. And only 10 euros.
Old Aug 7, 17, 10:37 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by DCJoe1 View Post
I know the RER isn't perfect, but I wouldn't chance the traffic. RER B to Denfert-Rocherou, then the 6 to Gare Montparnasse. Should be about 1:05 or so from exiting customs to getting off the 6 at Montparnasse. And only 10 euros.
Depends upon how much luggage he's got, and I don't recall the RER/Metro 6 connection at Denfert-Rocherou. OK, did some research, doesn't look bad. RER is at a higher level; the TripAdvisor thread says there are also elevators available.

This sounds like a practical plan to me.
Old Aug 9, 17, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Using RER B and line 6 at Denfert is exactly what I do everytime I need to connect at Gare Montparnasse. I usually plan a 2 hour connecting time but 3 hours is better .
Old Aug 9, 17, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by JSurge View Post
I am wondering if someone can help me out. I am arriving at Terminal 1 at CDG at 12:55pm on September 5. How long do you think it will take for me to clear immigration, customs etc and be outside ready to catch a taxi?

Here's the reason... I am trying to make a 3:55 train at Gare Montparnasse which will take me to Pontorson / Mt. St. Micheal via Rennes

Please let me know what you think? There is a bus that leaves T1 at 2:42 which would get me there within the time for the train. . Any other options besides the taxi from T1 and the bus?

Thanks
I have not done all the research on this, but did you consider taking the train from CDG to Rennes and avoiding the trip into central Paris?

https://www.trainline.eu/search/aero...17-08-30-16:00
Old Aug 9, 17, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
I have not done all the research on this, but did you consider taking the train from CDG to Rennes and avoiding the trip into central Paris?

https://www.trainline.eu/search/aero...17-08-30-16:00
Good idea! Ouigo train at 3:55 PM from CDG to Rennes. Only 10 euros. But watch out on the luggage requirements!

Search this Thread