Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Leaving luggage on a 22-hour layover between CDG and ORY

Old Jul 20, 17, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Bonjour

I've got a 22 hour layover in Paris, intentionally, for bit of a wander. My flight is landing into CDG, and the flight the next day is in ORY. I'm travelling with my wife only, with a couple of suitcases each.

What do you think the best option is regarding our luggage?

I'm considering two options, though perhaps there are others I've missed:
  1. Get a hotel at CDG so we can drop bags immediately on arrival, visit the city before returning to the hotel and getting the bus/train to ORY the next morning. We'd probably choose the Hilton CDG as our hotel.
  2. Get hotel at ORY so we can depart CDG immediately on arrival, and drop our bags in a storage facility somewhere in Paris for the day, before then collecting these bags later on and checking into our hotel at ORY late that evening ready for our flight the next morning. We'd probably choose the Hilton ORY as our hotel.

I'm intentionally avoiding a hotel in Central Paris, mostly because the points stays on the day of arrival are relatively high versus staying at the airports.

Merci beaucoup

P.S. In hindsight, I should've just booked arrival and departure to have both been at CDG but I wanted to try out BA's OpenSkies.
Old Jul 20, 17, 12:58 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Personally, I prefer to preposition myself for departure. I would stay at ORY.

Consider having a company like Blue Marble or Eelway pickup your luggage at CDG and deliver it to your ORY hotel. YouŽll be completely free to explore Paris unencumbered and without worry.

Taxis from the official taxi queue will take you anywhere in Paris. Cost is fixed at 50€/55€ for destinations to the Right/Left Bank respectively. Do not accept offers from clandestine drivers soliciting from within the terminals. Taxi fares from Paris to ORY are also fixed at 35€/30€ from the Right/Left Bank respectively.
Old Jul 20, 17, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you We have been assuming that we'd be using public transport for the journeys.

I've looked into luggage handling companies already, but decided against them - whereas I am quite comfortable with using them, I know my wife will not be too comfortable and will worry about it for some of the day!

Any additional thoughts from anybody about the above with public transport will be really kind We will arrive into Paris around 1pm, and so we want to be able to enjoy the day as early as possible so that is why we're thinking about staying at CDG so we can drop our bags, and go straight into town. We're arriving on on short haul BE flight EXT-CDG, so will be quite eager and awake to do some exploring.
Old Jul 20, 17, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

RER B from CDG into town is easy. You can get the 24-hour pass for zones 1-5 that will cover your transfer to ORY that night as well.

Left-luggage services are available for the public in Paris railway stations : Gare du Nord, Gare de l’Est, Gare de Lyon, Gare d’Austerlitz and Gare Montparnasse. It'll cost you a few euro to secure the stuff in lockers but it works just fine. https://en.parisinfo.com/practical-p...ilway-stations

Gare do Nord is on the RER B line that you'll take between the airports. Maybe drop your bags there then head a little further "in" to town for the afternoon. Return in the evening to wrap your day from Sacre Coeur (10-15 minute walk from the station) before collecting the bags and heading to ORY.
Old Jul 20, 17, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Left-luggage services are available for the public in Paris railway stations : Gare du Nord, Gare de l’Est, Gare de Lyon, Gare d’Austerlitz and Gare Montparnasse. It'll cost you a few euro to secure the stuff in lockers but it works just fine. https://en.parisinfo.com/practical-p...ilway-stations

Gare do Nord is on the RER B line that you'll take between the airports. Maybe drop your bags there then head a little further "in" to town for the afternoon. Return in the evening to wrap your day from Sacre Coeur (10-15 minute walk from the station) before collecting the bags and heading to ORY.
Thanks

Do those left-luggage facilities have any problems with storing electronics? (e.g. laptops; a small white-noise machine; portable battery). We're comfortable leaving them, but I was unsure if security procedures were in place to avoid their storage. I was also unsure if there were large queues for dropping my bags.

Slightly off-topic, and perhaps cheeky. We've been trying to work out the right ticket. We're arriving on a Friday so the Navigo Decouverte won't be possible as we can't buy it for use after Thursday. We'd want to use the RER-B from CDG and the Orlyval from Antony so we can't use Mobilis as it isn't valid from my research (we'd have to use alternative routes, which look slightly longer or more of a hassle with luggage unless I'm mistaken). For the plan you've mentioned, we're thinking either a one-day Paris Visite pass or a couple of one-ways coupled with a Zone 1-3 Mobilis pass might be realistic options.
Old Jul 20, 17, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Simon Schus View Post
Do those left-luggage facilities have any problems with storing electronics? (e.g. laptops; white-noise machine). We're comfortable leaving them, but I was unsure if security procedures were in place to avoid them. I was also unsure if there were large queues for dropping my bags.

P.S. We've been trying to work out the right ticket (we're arriving on a Friday so the Navigo Decouverte won't be possible as we can't buy it for use after Thursday; we'd want to use the RER-B from CDG and the Orlyval so we can't use Mobilis as it isn't valid from my research). We're thinking either the Paris Visite pass, or a couple of one-ways coupled with a Zone 1-3 Mobilis pass.
Pretty sure they're just self-service lockers. Put your stuff in and pay.

My thought was the Paris Visite 1-5 1-day ticket. It is 27 euro per person. You'd need to take a lot of rides other than to/from the airport for that to make sense. https://en.parisinfo.com/transport/107175/Paris-visite
Old Jul 20, 17, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Pretty sure they're just self-service lockers. Put your stuff in and pay.
Merci - thank you, we might adopt this advice once we have considered all the various options! My concern re: the lockers was that it'd take a disproportionate length of time to collect, return - and that not all of our items would be eligible. I only thought that given I had read it on a review website, but hadn't seen it elsewhere. It seems I'll have to look around for details to confirm either way.

My thought was the Paris Visite 1-5 1-day ticket. It is 27 euro per person. You'd need to take a lot of rides other than to/from the airport for that to make sense. https://en.parisinfo.com/transport/107175/Paris-visite
Quite, it does seem a lot but I couldn't work out another option that was cheaper. Here were the alternative I worked out for getting from CDG-ORY via Central Paris for 6 or so hours.

Option 1:
CDG to Gare du Nord on the RER: €10,00
Mobilis Zones 1-4: €12,00
Antony+OrlyVal to ORY: €9,30
= €31,30

Option 2:
CDG to Gare du Nord on the RER: €10,00
Mobilis Zones 1-3: €9,70
Gare du Nord to ORY on the RER+OrlyVal: €12,05
= €31,75

Those options are, of course, assuming that the information on the RATP.fr website is correct insofar that the Mobilis Zones 1-4 and 1-5 cannot be used on the RER-B from CDG nor on the OrlyVal from Antony (instead, the Mobilis would only be useful on bus lines 183 and 285 ORY airport, and bus lines 350 and 351 to CDG, but they seem more difficult and time-consuming for our specific plans especially when considering we will be leaving luggage somewhere). Assuming that information is correct, then simply purchasing the Mobilis 1-4 (€12,00) or 1-5 (€17,30) won't be valid for our planned journey.

As such, does €26,00 for the day still seem a silly idea? I recognise we could knock out the Mobilis Zones 1-3 on Option 2 and just purchase individual tickets for each journey at €1.80 each. However, the €26,00 all-in could avoid such hassle at only a relatively negligible increase in cost (e.g. removing the 1-3 pass would only be €22,05, so adding only two journeys at €1,80 each would be €25,65), and having to queue to get the tickets (vs. the one can order the Paris Visite in advance, and have it delivered).

Of course, I may have completely misunderstood the options available to me - and the Paris transit system. In which case, I apologise. For example, I could possibly understand if there was an option to buy CDG-ORY via Paris Gare Du Nord without having to purchase two tickets.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Jul 20, 17 at 2:12 pm
Old Jul 20, 17, 2:15 pm

Your assumptions are all correct.

The airport buses such as the 350 or 351 take quite a while (1 hour +) to reach Paris and your time is already short. As long as you are doing this all in one day, this might be one of the very few travel itineraries I have seen where a zone 1-5 Paris Visite Pass is probably the best option. Cost is 24.50€ and the PV allows you, in addition to all the other public transportation options, to use the OrlyVAL from Antony (using the RER B line) to ORY.

The only concern is that you must complete travel by midnight.
Old Jul 20, 17, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
Your assumptions are all correct.

The airport buses such as the 350 or 351 take quite a while (1 hour +) to reach Paris and your time is already short. As long as you are doing this all in one day, this might be one of the very few travel itineraries I have seen where a zone 1-5 Paris Visite Pass is probably the best option. Cost is 24.50€ and the PV allows you, in addition to all the other public transportation options, to use the OrlyVAL from Antony (using the RER B line) to ORY.

The only concern is that you must complete travel by midnight.
I'm glad I'm not completely crazy and misunderstanding (plus, I hope that this reassures you that I've done some research in advance rather than just wanting everybody to answer my questions like some form of tourist information counter!).

The midnight/calendar day point is important. We'd be finished with out day, and would be back at our hotel - wherever that is - by midnight. However, the midnight/calendar day is part of the reason that I've been trying to determine whether or not to stay at CDG or ORY. If CDG, we'd need to get a bus the next day (e.g. the Le Bus Direct), buy a new ticket CDG-ORY, or as you suggested to get a taxi. If we stayed at ORY, we'd need to use left-luggage which will no doubt be cheaper but I was trying to understand how much cheaper financially and at what hassle. I'm sure staying at ORY would be cheaper and perhaps easier, but I couldn't work out how much hassle it would be to store our baggage en-route - for example, at Gare du Nord like sbm12 so kindly suggested.

The alternative would be to stay closer to Central Paris, e.g. at the Hilton La Defense though I recognise it isn't exactly central, it is much cheaper on points compared to the Hilton Paris Opera. However, I'm not sure that it changes the prices too much as we still need to get from CDG to ORY on separate tickets. Hence, I return to a hotel at CDG vs. ORY haha!

Thank you all for your effort. If you have any additional thoughts then please do chime in whilst I work through what I think are the cheapest options relative to finance and effort.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Jul 20, 17 at 2:27 pm
Old Jul 20, 17, 3:37 pm

The RATP rules are not easy to quickly understand. I recognize your overall analysis as being comprehensive and requiring some study. Still the Paris Visite Pass may be the best overall option given your specific requirements.

Only Gare du Nord is on the RER B which is the train reaching both airports (and ORY via Antony and the OrlyVAL). That makes the lockers there the logical choice at which to leave your luggage. Sometimes the lockers are full and you might need to wait for an opening. Take the RER B to Gare du Nord, leave your luggage, visit whatever interests you, return for your luggage and continue southbound on the RER B to Antony transitioning to the OrlyVAL to the airport.

La Defense is not in Paris at all. Its surroundings are sterile and not the least bit interesting. This hotel should only be considered by those with business in the immediate area.
Old Jul 20, 17, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
The RATP rules are not easy to quickly understand. I recognize your overall analysis as being comprehensive and requiring some study. Still the Paris Visite Pass may be the best overall option given your specific requirements.

Only Gare du Nord is on the RER B which is the train reaching both airports (and ORY via Antony and the OrlyVAL). That makes the lockers there the logical choice at which to leave your luggage. Sometimes the lockers are full and you might need to wait for an opening. Take the RER B to Gare du Nord, leave your luggage, visit whatever interests you, return for your luggage and continue southbound on the RER B to Antony transitioning to the OrlyVAL to the airport.

La Defense is not in Paris at all. Its surroundings are sterile and not the least bit interesting. This hotel should only be considered by those with business in the immediate area.
Mentioning La Defense was part of my trying to highlight what I was considering CDG and ORY - and why I had pretty much discounted it as an option. I'm still yet to decide between staying at CDG and ORY... I recognise you mention ORY, and storing luggage as your preferred option in a similar circumstance. The reasons we might even consider staying at CDG is: the cost/effort/ease balance is based on how many suitcases we decide to bring back with us, and the prospect of waiting for lockers and/or serviced storage (apparently both are available at Paris Gare du Nord... apologies that I capitalise each time!).

Nonetheless, this if for something for me to work out! However, I'm glad that I've got to the nitty-gritty of the details with your assistance, and confirmed that my assumptions were accurate - and that I wasn't completely offside!
Old Jul 20, 17, 11:51 pm

There are few-I'd say no-decent hotels at Orly.

I am not a fan of staying at CDG with OP's itin-a round trip into the city and back, only to get luggage and then head right out to Orly. That's a lot of time on mechanics.

I'd just find an inexpensive hotel in the city, go there upon arrival and leave the bags in the room, then go on out to Orly the next day. If it costs an extra €50, ask yourself how many nights in Paris you will have in your life and if you wouldn't pay €50 for one more?
Old Jul 21, 17, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
The Hilton is quite decent. Not the best Hilton of the world, but a very decent place to stay. And the closest from the terminals.
Old Jul 22, 17, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post

I am not a fan of staying at CDG with OP's itin-a round trip into the city and back, only to get luggage and then head right out to Orly. That's a lot of time on mechanics.

I'd just find an inexpensive hotel in the city, go there upon arrival and leave the bags in the room, then go on out to Orly the next day. If it costs an extra €50, ask yourself how many nights in Paris you will have in your life and if you wouldn't pay €50 for one more?
Thank you Mountain Trader so much for taking the time out to offer some thoughts - we love it

I have had a fair few nights in Paris in my life already over the past couple of years and even more over the last decade, each for tourism, and will likely have a fair few more. I lived close enough in the past to just get the Eurostar or a short flight, and we'll hopefully live close enough in the next few years too, albeit we live several hours flight and an ocean away at the moment - so this is just a day trip to show my wife around, have a stroll around a couple of sights, and some dinner before we head back home. As such, that doesn't really come into the equation too much just yet.

We'll end up either staying at CDG or ORY on that night before our flight as a result, though on points likely at the Hilton CDG or the Hilton ORY. We had considered hotels in the centre, but alas the cost is going to be around €150 more for the night - or double to three times the amount of points - which doesn't seem worth it to us just for the ease of avoiding mechanics on such a short visit.

We were considering both options, of dropping bags at Hilton CDG and doing a roundtrip - and getting the bus the next morning to ORY. Alternatively, heading to Gare du Nord to drop our bags into some lockers there before than heading to the Hilton ORY that night and just get the shuttle bus for the short journey to the terminal the next morning. As yet, undecided. We're leaning one way more than the other.

We'll pick one option but I was just trying to ascertain luggage issues and this thread has been so helpful so thank you
Old Jul 22, 17, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
The Hilton is quite decent. Not the best Hilton of the world, but a very decent place to stay. And the closest from the terminals.
Thank you for your thoughts, Goldorak The Hilton ORY would be the hotel we'd choose - we'd not be expecting much, just a place to sleep, shower, sort out our hand luggage, and perhaps have some breakfast the next day. I've calibrated my expectations based on the reviews from FlyerTalk and TripAdvisors, alongside your thoughts which seem to chime with the opinions expressed elsewhere.

Search this Thread