Reload this Page >

A (Possible?) Day Trip from Paris -- Giverny/Rouen

A (Possible?) Day Trip from Paris -- Giverny/Rouen

Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I hope you'll come back to this thread and share your impressions.
I definitely will. I always feel that it's the least that I can do to repay other FTers for sharing their recommendations and experiences!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Upthread: Impressionists on the Seine show was at the Phillips Collection, home of Luncheon of the Boating Party

In Paris: Marmottan Museum, for Monet lovers. When I went last, there was a significant queue for entry. I'd look for advance tickets or other way in. Ditto for other popular museums. Just showing up may mean a long line, unless you go way off-season.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have two questions about train travel with SNCF as regards this day trip (and I can't find this information searching their site):
  • Is it cheaper to purchase tickets on-line in advance? I discovered that this is the case in the UK last month, and I don't know if this is also so with the SNCF.
  • Must we purchase separate Gare Saint Lazare-Vernon and Vernon-Rouen tickets for the outbound leg? Or will a simple Gare Saint Lazare-Rouen ticket allow us for a stopover at Vernon/Giverny?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by iapetus
  • Is it cheaper to purchase tickets on-line in advance? I discovered that this is the case in the UK last month, and I don't know if this is also so with the SNCF.
Generally yes. Go to the appropriate websites and take a look:

SNCF
Trainline
Loco2

Compare prices for your travel dates vs. today´s prices and see if there is a difference.

• Must we purchase separate Gare Saint Lazare-Vernon and Vernon-Rouen tickets for the outbound leg? Or will a simple Gare Saint Lazare-Rouen ticket allow us for a stopover at Vernon/Giverny?
[/INDENT]
Unlike TGV tickets, some of the TER tickets allow same day intermediary stops. As to how this would affect your planned itinerary, I would simply need to ask either at St Lazare or at one of the SNCF boutiques. Some tickets are sold train specific and may not be used on an earlier or later train.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tamino
Generally yes. Go to the appropriate websites and take a look:

SNCF
Trainline
Loco2

Compare prices for your travel dates vs. today´s prices and see if there is a difference.

Unlike TGV tickets, some of the TER tickets allow same day intermediary stops. As to how this would affect your planned itinerary, I would simply need to ask either at St Lazare or at one of the SNCF boutiques. Some tickets are sold train specific and may not be used on an earlier or later train.
Thanks for the response! ^ It sounds to me like I should consider buying the return tickets early and asking at the SNCF guichet about the stopover when we purchase our outbound tickets. Or maybe I can make a visit to an SNCF office tomorrow. I did look at itineraries for today versus tomorrow, but it occurred to me that I couldn't be certain if this was due to same-day issues or availability.

In other news, I just found out that I could only book 4 people for the tour of the Monument Juif in Rouen. We are 3 adults and 2 children. So I booked 3 adults and one child. I'm hoping that they will allow the second child. If not, only a subset of us will go; it's most important that mrs. iapetus' mother get in (and me to translate if need be). Much like traveling to the Garden State, I should not have underestimated the demand for this tour. Fingers crossed ...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Thanks for the response! ^ It sounds to me like I should consider buying the return tickets early and asking at the SNCF guichet about the stopover when we purchase our outbound tickets. Or maybe I can make a visit to an SNCF office tomorrow. I did look at itineraries for today versus tomorrow, but it occurred to me that I couldn't be certain if this was due to same-day issues or availability.
Unlikely an availability issue with an Intercité train. I would be very interested in what the SNCF tells you but I would go today. The service lines at the stations can be long.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tamino
Unlikely an availability issue with an Intercité train. I would be very interested in what the SNCF tells you but I would go today.
I dropped in at an SNCF office in the Marais today. I was told that I would need two separate tickets to do Gare Saint Lazare/Vernon and Vernon/Rouen. So I bought those. Furthermore, I was advised that there would be no price difference to just purchase the return tomorrow, but that there would be an extra cost to change our return train. So, not knowing exactly when we'll wanted to return from Rouen, I just decided to purchase our returns to Paris tomorrow from Rouen. More soon!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.