Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Driving Paris to Beaune - where to stop (lunch, wine tasting)

Old Jun 4, 17, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson

I will be driving from Paris to Beaune and wanted to see if anyone had some great recommendations for a place along he route for a wine or cheese tasting, a lunch spot, or other interesting sites. Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 17, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Paging Stimpy here !
Old Jun 8, 17, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Be very careful about the wine tasting. Drink driving is taken far more seriously in France nowadays.
Old Jun 8, 17, 5:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Be very careful about the wine tasting. Drink driving is taken far more seriously in France nowadays.
Not more seriously than a couple of years ago. You're still allowed to have a little booze. Takes the fun out of tasting though ...
Old Jun 9, 17, 1:48 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Not more seriously than a couple of years ago. You're still allowed to have a little booze. Takes the fun out of tasting though ...
In France, a BAC greater than 0.05% can result in your arrest. For small sized adults, this can be little more than one glass of wine. Arbitrary testing or spot checks occur on even the quietest of rural roads. If I were visiting vineyards and tasting wine, I would not drive at all.
Old Jun 9, 17, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
It's only about 3 to 3-1/2 hours from Paris to Beaune. I'd just wait until I got to Beaune or wherever you're going to stay. That way you really can enjoy the wine tasting.
Old Jun 9, 17, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
It's only about 3 to 3-1/2 hours from Paris to Beaune. I'd just wait until I got to Beaune or wherever you're going to stay. That way you really can enjoy the wine tasting.
Although if you like white wines, you could do worse than to stop and taste in Chablis. It's about as bucolic a wine town as exists anywhere. And unlike most white Burgundies, the wines are generally at their best young.
Old Jun 11, 17, 2:44 pm

[QUOTE=Tamino;28421574]In France, a BAC greater than 0.05% can result in your arrest./QUOTE]

0.05% is quite common throughout Europe. Eastern Europe and parts of Scandinavia have much stricter rules. Only the UK have a higher limit in Europe.

And no. You don't get arrested in France for getting more scoring higher than 0.05%. You get a 135 fine and six points on your license. It's scoring higher than 0.08% that gets you into real trouble (up to 4,500 in fine and up to 2 years of jail time).

That said, I agree with you. When I drive, I'm sober.
Old Jun 12, 17, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Glad this turned into a discussion about drinking and driving. No help at all.
Old Jun 12, 17, 8:33 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Riding the other way with my aged parents, I was deeply frustrated when they elected to take only a "windshield tour" of Auxerres. It looked well worth a stop.
Old Jun 12, 17, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 View Post
Glad this turned into a discussion about drinking and driving. No help at all.
I think it's fairly normal to bring something like that up in the case of question re: stoping for lunch and wine tasting.

I've done hundreds of road trip in France and I can't tell you where to stop (never did the Paris-Beaune route). It never hurts to just exit the motorway and drive highways for a while.
Old Jun 12, 17, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Montrachet and/or Meursault? I think of them as being close to Chablis, but I haven't taken this drive in a while, not do I have a map handy.

IIRC closer to Paris there are some small towns with Michelin starred (and Gault-Millault recommended) restaurants. Some of these are in small R&C properties, for example in towns/villages along the river and along the main national road that connects Paris to Beaune.

Beaune itself is a pretty small city. Depending on how early you want to leave Paris, it might not be unreasonable to have lunch there, although probably not if you're going to have dinner there and stay overnight. In the other extreme, on the outskirts of Paris, is Fontainebleau.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: