Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Take 3: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to Do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Old May 6, 17, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA Premier

I am back again looking for suggestions for lesser-known things to do and places to eat in Paris, this time with a twist. My wife and I have been to Paris several times before but my two younger daughters have never been. So I am looking for suggestions that would appeal both to my wife and I and my daughters. Note that we are amenable to splitting up if need be. On the restaurant side, one daughter is a vegetarian and the other is allergic to most nuts (but, as she says, thankfully not Nutella!)

The answers I got to my previous two threads were great and I am hoping for the same again!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...eat-paris.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...eat-paris.html

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 17, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXEC PLT 2 MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXPL, Accor SLV, BW DIA, IHG PLT, UA GLD
Lunch at Musee Jacquemart-Andre on the right bank in the 8th arr. Have only tried the salads which use incredibly interesting ingredients and are delicious but I would venture that the rest of the entrees are great as well. Lovely atmosphere either in the dining room or enclosed terrace. You do NOT need to buy museum entrance to dine, however, the museum is quite interesting as well.

http://musee-jacquemart-andre.com/en...cquemart-andre
Old Jun 30, 17, 11:47 am

1. Visit the Louvre on Wednesday or Friday late, after 6 or 7. They are open until 9:45 PM both days. Much, much less crowded at night and a really wonderful experience to look out the windows as the sun sets and the city lights up.

2. Same for the Orsay, Thursday is the late night, until 9:45 PM.

3. Parc Des Buttes Chaumont and Parc de Belleville. Chaumont has beautiful rock outcroppings to climb up, and nice aimless walks along the hills. Belleville has beautiful views of the city.

4. If going to the Marais to eat Israeli/middle eastern food, skip the line at L'As du Fallafel and go to Miznon, 200 feet to the south. Amazing food and great laid-back environment.

5. Holybelly (get there early!) for an amazing breakfast and great coffee. Not really Parisian, admittedly, but a great place.

6. Personally not that impressed by the Carnavalet museum, but was surprisingly intrigued by the underground museum next to Notre Dame, which goes a bit deeper (pun intended!) into the history of the development of Paris and the first settlements on Ile de la Cite.
Old Jun 30, 17, 12:00 pm

For food I would recommend looking at the following English language websites, which have proven to be very good guides. Stopping at the random bistro on the corner is not always going to lead to a good meal, sadly. But there are a ton of good places (many of which are corner bistros!)

www.parisbymouth.com

https://lefooding.com/en/restaurants

http://johntalbottsparis.typepad.com/
Old Oct 8, 17, 9:50 pm

Strolling through, eating or having a cuppa @ Rue Cler has always been my favorite. Quite subjective whether this is "lesser known or not" and it is within walking distance of the Eiffel for the average tourist to access. Café Du Marché is my favorite restaurant there. Love the duck confit they serve. Better than any of the other ones I've had in Paris. But that's just me.
Old Oct 9, 17, 10:00 am

For something to eat, how bout the best ice cream shop, not only in Paris, but very possibly anywhere: Berthillion on the Ile St-Louis. Eat in, or get a cone or cup at the window. Pay attention to days when they're closed, though.

For a special place, try the Promenade Plantée (also known as the Coulée Verte). This is an old railway line that has been turned into a lovely place to walk and get some great views of Paris neighborhoods -- it's Paris's version of NYC's High Line.
Old Oct 9, 17, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Try Le Comptoir de la Gastronomie. 34, Rue Montmartre. It's a little grocery/deli and a restaurant. At least one person at the table should order the Cafe Gourmand for dessert. It's at the edge of the Monterguill food shopping neighborhood. So if you are a foodie . . . . . .
Old Oct 11, 17, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by wideman View Post
For something to eat, how bout the best ice cream shop, not only in Paris, but very possibly anywhere: Berthillion on the Ile St-Louis. Eat in, or get a cone or cup at the window. Pay attention to days when they're closed, though.

For a special place, try the Promenade Plantée (also known as the Coulée Verte). This is an old railway line that has been turned into a lovely place to walk and get some great views of Paris neighborhoods -- it's Paris's version of NYC's High Line.
Actually the High Line is the version of Paris's.
ajGoes, Goldorak and Teal like this.
Old Oct 13, 17, 9:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I enjoy visiting the CentQuatre on the weekends. It used to be the municipal undertakers building but now it is a municipal cultural center with all sorts of activities taking place at all times.
Old Nov 16, 17, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
There is a Picasso sculpture in the cemetery at Ste. Germaine (or at least there was). Also very near there is a little plaque on a building that notes that in that building the United States was created. It’s the building in which the British signed the Treaty of Paris ending the Revolutionary War and granting the colonies independence.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jan 25, 18 at 2:01 pm
Old Jan 25, 18, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA gold
Originally Posted by Yahillwe View Post
Actually the High Line is the version of Paris's.
So true! The shops and artisan studios at ground level are lovely as well (le Viaduc des Arts). I find it virtually impossible not to buy something from Tzuri Gueta every time I am there.

For all those ladies in your groupI would suggest the Palais Galliera, the fashion museum belonging to the City of Paris. It is only open for exhibitions and closed in between. The same goes for the Musée de la Mode et du Textile, which is part of the Arts Décoratfs section of the Louvre palace complex. It, too, is only open during its exhibitions.

Last edited by monvoyage; Feb 5, 18 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 28, 18, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know that it's a "secret" in any way, but I found the Army Museum at Les Invalides to be an unexpected and extraordinary pleasure. I'll return every time I'm in Paris.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 2, 18, 1:53 am

Programs: QF, HH, LH M&M
I'm fond of the charming, delightful little restaurant Roger le Grenouille which happens to be situated not far from the Seine if memory serves me right.

I wrote a little trip report on it once here, but you'd do better to go there yourself next you're roaming the streets of Paris.

As for something else to do, once your belly is full with la bonne cuisine française, check out the Parisian catacombs – certainly not a secret judging by the length of the queue, but a most fascinating thing indeed.

Bon voyage, mon ami!
Old Feb 2, 18, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
I won't do catacombs (I'm claustrophobic) and in any event they were closed on our last trip (my husband would have gone). We went to the Sewer museum instead and I found it fascinating!!! Both my husband and I did - I loved it for its historical & public health displays, and my husband loved it for engineering. https://en.parisinfo.com/paris-museu...gouts-de-Paris

(yes, I was worried I'd be claustrophobic there too, but asked - maybe here? - and was told quite correctly that there is plenty of space and no tight tunnels necessary....)
Old Feb 5, 18, 8:00 pm

Ravioli Chinois Nord Est in Belleville. In general the chinese food in Paris is suprisingly good.

Search this Thread