FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Speeding ticket in France over 90 days old – letter with fixed fine never arrived. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1839108-speeding-ticket-france-over-90-days-old-letter-fixed-fine-never-arrived.html)

Charlie Oscar Apr 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Speeding ticket in France over 90 days old – letter with fixed fine never arrived.

Dear all...

In October of 2016 while driving from Nice to Monaco camera recorded a speeding violation of 20 km/h over the limit. later I've got a letter with payment link but ticket was not paid on time. I've actually tried paying it later on www.amendes.gouv.fr but getting following:

The e-payment number you have entered corresponds to a fine for which a notice was sent to you more than 91 days ago:
  • You will shortly receive notice of the increased fixed fine
  • You may use this payment service to pay this increased fixed fine
The letter with fixed fine never arrived. Per original letter, the lump sum payment deadline is 05/01/2017, in a week. What should I do? I would pay but do not see of how this is possible with updated codes that should come with new letter. Any advise, please let me know...

WorldLux Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Charlie Oscar (Post 28233102)
The letter with fixed fine never arrived. Per original letter, the lump sum payment deadline is 05/01/2017, in a week. What should I do? I would pay but do not see of how this is possible with updated codes that should come with new letter. Any advise, please let me know...

Given that you'll have to pay the increased fine anyway (starting 45 days after you've been caught speeding), you can just as well relax and wait for it to arrive.

You won't be locked up when you visit the next time. You'll probably be asked to pay the fine on the spot. Only a > dozen unpaid fines will get you arrested.

Charlie Oscar Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Still - the payment deadline is in one week (if I understand this correctly as this date is > 90 days than the date of offense, so this looks like an "ultimate deadline") and I suspect that after that charge can get potentially increased to max of 750 euro (http://english.controleradar.org/speeding-fines.php). of course, I doubt that this will go to trial but still, trying to get some additional clarity.

Tamino Apr 26, 2017 9:36 pm

I´d make every attempt to send in the amount as soon as possible, attached with an explanation that you just received the notice. There is no guarantee that you´ll receive the amended fine in time to pay it on line.

Charlie Oscar Apr 28, 2017 10:23 am

Unfortunately, the payment link is expired as well as the payment code and everything is linked to the code. So there is no alternative ways to pay. I've send an e-mail to the French embassy, asking to clarify if they have any info, but no reply yet...

ajGoes Apr 28, 2017 1:32 pm

You could try calling the Ministry of the Economy in the hopes of finding someone with an answer. The number is +33 (01) 40 04 04 04.

Although there's a page with links to various offices within the Ministry, none of the links seem to be the right one.

WorldLux Apr 28, 2017 2:15 pm

The thing is that you pay
  • the reduced fine within 30 days (for speed cameras) or
  • you pay the normal fine within 60 days or
  • you pay the increased fine within 105 days

If you haven't paid within 105 days (it's 90 if you haven't been caught by a speed camera), the public prosecutor will try to get you to pay the fine either by means of an ordonnance pénale or by taking you to trial. Either scenario seems unlikely to me if you don't reside within the European Union.

At best, they'll send the ordonnance and ask you to pay the increased fine. I doubt that they'll give you anything close to the maximum for a first timer. More likely seems that they'll keep the fine on file and if you were ever to be stopped by cops and they check for unpaid fines they'll see it and you'll have to pay on the spot. As an exception, you can risk a trial if you have numerous unpaid fines.

Charlie Oscar Apr 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Thank you very much for information and clarification ajGoes and WorldLux. This is the only ticket that I've ever had in the EU. I have no problem with paying fine on spot or while crossing border, rental car company (Sixt that I use frequently) is another concern. Hopefully, it is going to be fine, just trying to eliminate possible headaches. Thank you again.

behuman Apr 29, 2017 8:02 am

Another option would be to abide by the rules when visiting Europe ;). 20 km/h over the limit is a serious offense and should result in a temporary ban from driving on the territory of the nation where it took place - typically a national driver would loose some points on his/her permit - and rightly so.

WorldLux Apr 29, 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 28244622)
Another option would be to abide by the rules when visiting Europe ;). 20 km/h over the limit is a serious offense and should result in a temporary ban from driving on the territory of the nation where it took place - typically a national driver would loose some points on his/her permit - and rightly so.

The French disagree with you. Going between 20 and 30 kmh over the speed limit is not considered as a serious offense. Once you go >30 km/h over the speed limit, you'll get a 1,500€ fine and potentially risk a suspension.

Charlie Oscar Apr 29, 2017 9:51 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 28244622)
Another option would be to abide by the rules when visiting Europe ;).

That is obvious concerning braking speed limit in any country by any person. I am trying to deal with the specific situation, so unfortunately your suggestion is not an option, but thanks anyway.

keisari Apr 29, 2017 7:35 pm

If the car you were driving was rented, wouldn't the car rental company receive the bill and charge your credit card on file?
Were you driving your own car? you said you do not live in the EU
How did the police have your address to send you a fine?
I think I am missing something?

Charlie Oscar Apr 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 28246492)
If the car you were driving was rented, wouldn't the car rental company receive the bill and charge your credit card on file?
Were you driving your own car? you said you do not live in the EU
How did the police have your address to send you a fine?
I think I am missing something?

The car was rented and rental company has my information. I live in the US. As far as I understand authorities cannot automatically charge your card as you are not proven guilty by default.

WorldLux Apr 30, 2017 3:28 am

The automised system sends the fine to the owner of the car, who disputes the fine by giving the authorities the name and address of the renter at that specific time. The authorities send another fine to the driver.

They won't fine the rental company directly as all fines for speeding carry loss of points on your driving licence. Once those 12 points are gone, you can say bye bye to driving in France for a 6 month period.

Originally Posted by Charlie Oscar (Post 28246620)
... your card as you are not proven guilty by default.

Your fine says otherwise. With contraventions, the lowest category of crime (comparable to misdemeanours in the US), you usually don't go to trial. You're essentially guilty by default and have to pay the fine even if you dispute the ticket.

But while many criminal law principles don't apply to contraventions, they still have to grant you the right to appeal. If they simply charged your credit card before notifying you of the fine and informing you about the options (paying or disputing the fine), they are going to have a bad time in any court.

Tamino Apr 30, 2017 6:50 am

The rental company will use your credit card information to charge you a service fee, typically 30€, for forwarding your name and address to the police.

Originally Posted by Charlie Oscar (Post 28246620)
The car was rented and rental company has my information. I live in the US. As far as I understand authorities cannot automatically charge your card as you are not proven guilty by default.

The French police have starting using collection agencies in the US to collect fines from drivers there who do not pay their tickets.