Mont St. Michel

Old Apr 10, 17, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeropaln
Mont St. Michel

So I'm taking my whole family to France this summer (8 people).

One if the places we'll be staying is La Baule. From there I'd like to visit Mont St. Michel.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get there and the best time (both time of day and day of week if it makes any difference)

We're in La Baule from July 10-14 (though I'm sure it's closed on Bastille day).

We've got a couple cars and I'm thinking the best (and cheapest) way is to drive up there. I know it is a couple of hour drive and j was figuring that if we aim to get there around 4:30-5:00 we miss the bulk of the tourists and we should be able to get some nice evening shots if we wait around long enough.

Does that sound reasonable or is there a better itinerary?
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:16 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by abaron View Post
I know it is a couple of hour drive and j was figuring
Slight understatement. A part from a couple of segments, you'll be driving of motorways, which is a) considerably slower and b) more exhausting. 3H of driving to get there, 3H of driving to get back home. That's a lot of time that you'll be spending on the road for a day trip.

Are you sure, that it wouldn't be more comfortable to spend one night close to MSM and enjoy the evening there, rather than having to drive back 3 hours to your bed?
Old Apr 13, 17, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Slight understatement. A part from a couple of segments, you'll be driving of motorways, which is a) considerably slower and b) more exhausting. 3H of driving to get there, 3H of driving to get back home. That's a lot of time that you'll be spending on the road for a day trip.

Are you sure, that it wouldn't be more comfortable to spend one night close to MSM and enjoy the evening there, rather than having to drive back 3 hours to your bed?
Well, most of the itinerary is on 4-lane highways and freeways, however it's indeed between 5 and 6 hours drive to get there and coming back.

As for the timing, I really don't know when the OP will encounter the least amount of people, but I would rather try to get there early than late. Arriving around 9 am would be my preference.

P.S. I don't know how OP gets to La Baule, but why not just make a stop at MSM going there?

Last edited by MarLim; Apr 13, 17 at 8:17 am
Old Apr 13, 17, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeropaln
Thank you for the responses.

Im considering booking a night, though with 8 people it is a significant budget item.

We're making our way to La Baule by car from Paris. We'll have landed the day before (from YVR) so I don't think I want to add more time to that drive, plus we need to setup the house when we arrive.

I actually REALLY like the idea of getting a hotel room for a night though; then I can spend some time and do some photography too.
Old Apr 13, 17, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by abaron View Post
Thank you for the responses.

Im considering booking a night, though with 8 people it is a significant budget item.

We're making our way to La Baule by car from Paris. We'll have landed the day before (from YVR) so I don't think I want to add more time to that drive, plus we need to setup the house when we arrive.

I actually REALLY like the idea of getting a hotel room for a night though; then I can spend some time and do some photography too.
I understand your concern about a longer drive the day after you arrived. However do consider that from CDG taking the N104 and A13 towards MSM via Caen and then down to Rennes and La Baule only takes about 2 hours longer than the direct drive and you don't have to cross Paris compared to almost 6 hours back and forth from La Baule. At the end you save yourself 4 hours driving. Or do it on your way back. Be also aware that on the 13th of July (especially afternoon) and on the 14th there is usually very heavy traffic on all major routes in France, so you will basically have the 11th or 12th for your excursion, just 1-2 days after you made a 5 hour drive from Paris. Just for your information the toll via Rouen and Caen is significantly lower than on the freeway via Le Mans to Nantes.
Old Mar 20, 18, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, EK Skywards Blue
Slightly OT, but jumping on the back of this thread.

I'm visiting MSM this Saturday and expect to arrive around 10am - High Tide is due at around 1130 and I was just wanting to confirm, if MSM is still accesible once high tide comes in - as don't want to end up getting stranded! Am doing this as a wider day trip by car arriving into St Malo that morning and back in the evening around 2000 - don't suppose anyone might have any tips on what other areas are worth visiting nearby - Rennes?

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 18, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by londonba2014 View Post
Slightly OT, but jumping on the back of this thread.

I'm visiting MSM this Saturday and expect to arrive around 10am - High Tide is due at around 1130 and I was just wanting to confirm, if MSM is still accesible once high tide comes in - as don't want to end up getting stranded! Am doing this as a wider day trip by car arriving into St Malo that morning and back in the evening around 2000 - don't suppose anyone might have any tips on what other areas are worth visiting nearby - Rennes?

Thanks!
MSM is accessible all the time. You can go to Rennes if you wish but this will take you 1-1.5 hr. I would stay in the St Malo area as the coast is beautiful (Dinard, Cancale, etc). Also the Rance river valley worth a visit
Old Mar 22, 18, 10:34 am

Programs: too many
I second Goldorak's answer, just find a nice "creperie" in the walled area of St Malo, and enjoy the city!
You can also drive across to Dinard, Saint-Lunaire and do a coastal walk if the weather allows.
Old Mar 23, 18, 12:54 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Depending on what you enjoy and how far you want to travel, some of the north coast islands can be stunning, like the ile de Brehat or the ile de Batz.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:27 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
The evening might be best for photos, but the crowds grow hugely throughout the day. Plan to arrive close to 8am to buy tickets at get in line; it opens at 9am, and you'll have two pretty decent hours to explore. And then... it's wall-to-wall people the rest of the day. So what I'd do is spend the previous night in the local town (can't remember where my wife and I stayed; it certainly wasn't anything fancy), drive close for the evening photos, then come back in the morning for the visit. Three hours should be enough time so you'll be leaving around noon.

Search this Thread