Reload this Page >

4 Day trip to France in July

Old Apr 6, 17, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist

Hi,

I'm planning a short (just 4 days) trip to France with my wife in late June/early July and wanted to get some opinions on where to visit.

I've been to the following areas and am now looking for something different:
  • Paris (a handful of times)
  • Bordeaux (spent about 6 months there in college)
  • Toulouse
  • Montpellier
  • Marseille
  • Nice
  • Nantes

So I'm not necessarily interested in the South of France but wondered what might be another good city/region to visit weather-wise in July?

We're also not opposed to renting a car and driving around a bit if there's a good drive that someone would recommend.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old Apr 6, 17, 4:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by jmgriffin View Post
So I'm not necessarily interested in the South of France but wondered what might be another good city/region to visit weather-wise in July?
Lyon and the Auvergne region. While I've been to Lyon a couple of times, I haven't travelled to the Auvergne region, but it seems to be quite interesting.

Strasbourg/Reims are certainly worth a visit too. You may as well take advantage of the summer weather and traveled Normandie. Corsica may be an option as well: A friend visited Corsica last year in his own car (traveled to Corsica by car ferry) and had an absolut fantastic time (his words, not mine).
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It could be blistering hot or even cold in July, as it was for a week in 2014. I second Lyon and might even recommend a trip up to Annecy if it is indeed hot at lower altitudes. And Burgundy is great if you like fine wine and the best dining.
Old Apr 7, 17, 7:41 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
+1 for Lyon. That time of year it's beautiful there. Also a good time to get up into the mountains to keep cooler. Both the Jura and the Savoie are great road trips from Lyon. Consider a drive up to Mont Blanc and go through the tunnel into Italy.
Old Apr 7, 17, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Agree with Lyon (not just a smaller Paris by the way), Annecy (beautiful for walks and some hiking) and Chamonix which is great in summer when all the crowds are gone and the prices are better.
From there a nice drive to Torino in Italy
Old Apr 7, 17, 5:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by keisari View Post
Agree with Lyon (not just a smaller Paris by the way)
That misconception may be (at least for European FTMembers) due to what you see when driving through Lyon on your way South/North. When arriving by car on the A6, you get greeted by a sea of HLMs (i.e. towers/larger complexes offering affordable living accommodations), pass under the historic city center and remerge to the surface next to the Rhône, drive past the newly built Musée des Confluences and leave Lyon by passing the multiple refineries.

As a passing through motorist, you don't get to see the beautiful parts of Lyon, which is a shame. I've done the trip uncountable times over the years and the views you get from the driver's seats are anything but picturesque.

That's IMO a shame, given that Lyon is actually a very pretty city. As an added bonus, you get to enjoy a temperated climate. It's not as hot over the summer months as cities further south, but it isn't as cold during the winter months as cities further north.

Another interesting region might be Reims along with the Champagne region. I did a day trip in late spring (probably over a decade ago) and it was very nice too. Had the trunk full of boxes with champagne on the way back home.
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for all of the great advice! I had already thought that Lyon might be a good mix of a decent sized city with lots of options for nearby day or overnight trips and this has confirmed it.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the scenery in Normandy and Brittany.

Search this Thread