Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Anyone Processed Tax Refund out of LYS?

Old Mar 23, 17, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

So, wife had some purchases at Louis Vuitton in Lyon and apparently they participate in tax refund scheme. Given some documents and told to get the refund processed at Travelex at the airport. Anyone have more details? The girl at LV didnt have such great english so didnt want to press her too much but just curious if anyone can share an experience they have had. Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 17, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
LYS is my home airport and it is a full service airport so I think it should have everything you need. However I've never tried the tax rebate thing.

They have a twitter account that you can ask questions to in English. Or you could just go to the info desk when you get there and ask.
Old Mar 24, 17, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
LYS is my home airport and it is a full service airport so I think it should have everything you need. However I've never tried the tax rebate thing.

They have a twitter account that you can ask questions to in English. Or you could just go to the info desk when you get there and ask.
Thanks. Are flight is late afternoon so we will just get there earlier than usual and sort things out. I am not familiar with the tax rebate thing wither but does work out to few hundred Euro so worth our time I think. We are actually not leaving the EU but going to BCN so not sure if it should actually be done there, I am sure they will let us know. I do think that from a customs perspective that country borders do matter...just not sure which matters in this case (EU border vs country border).

I will report back for anyone else that might be interested in the future.
Old Mar 24, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
What you're looking for is a VAT refund. You can read about it here and here. You'll file your refund claim when you leave the EU.
Old Mar 24, 17, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
We are actually not leaving the EU but going to BCN so not sure if it should actually be done there, I am sure they will let us know. I do think that from a customs perspective that country borders do matter...just not sure which matters in this case (EU border vs country border).
Yes in that case you will do the VAT refund at BCN. But make sure that you have the tax paperwork from the shop in Lyon.
Old Mar 26, 17, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

So, as expected this turned out to be somewhat interesting.

I decided to give go to customs at LYS as we had time. They a few machines sitting in front of the booth that you scanned your paperwork on and we did so and it just said, "Documents are Valid have a good day". So, we went over to the window and ask the guy and he said "if machine says ok, then you are ok". He then asked when we were traveling out of the EU and he said we ok since we are leaving out of BCN the next day and instructed us to go up to Travelex to get our money. We went to Travelex and she was all ready to give us the money until it popped up on her screen that it was setup to credit our credit card versus cash, perhaps it depends on how you pay? At any rate, she said it was all set and just to mail the form in the envelope provided by the shop which goes to Global Blue in Slovakia. I will be surprised if this works out clean but our purchase wasn't made with a tax refund being part of the decision making so we will see.

I did notice that there was a Global Blue booth right after passport control by D/E gates in BCN so it probably would have been easier to just give it to them directly...now we now.

If the credit is posted I will let people know. If nothing else, it is an interesting exercise.

Search this Thread