FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   7pm-10am in CDG what to do (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1830791-7pm-10am-cdg-what-do.html)

fnaime23 Mar 20, 2017 8:28 pm

7pm-10am in CDG what to do

I have to say, it feels like the worst schedule to be in CDG and Paris. Haven't been to Paris before, I would like to make the best of these 14 hours, specially that all the AF lounges are closed by midnight and do not reopen until 5am.

Worst case scenario I can use Yotel and stay in the airport. but with so much time in Paris, can someone help with some kind of night itinerary. things to see/do/eat during that time or part of that time.

I will only have a backpack as my luggage will be checked. most likely a phone camera, unless I decide to carry my DSLR.

should I just use uber (maybe a taxi for a few hours agree in advance on a price ???) and move around town to take a few pics (Eiffel tower and champ-elysees, arc du triomphe, louvre pyramid) thinking of things that would have lights and I could see.

so if I get out of the airport by 8pm and ride around for 4-6 hours seeing a few things, enjoying a meal (meeting a couple of friends, if their schedule lines up) and be on my way back to the airport no later than 5am.

abaron Mar 21, 2017 9:55 am

Paris is great by night

8pm in Paris means things are just starting.

Take your Camera but skip the taxi/uber. Paris is small enough that an hour in foot would let you see the 4 places you mentioned.

Frankly with your little bit of luggage I'd take the train in (the drive from the airport is nothing interesting). Get a hotel (or use a friends place as a crash pad and get in the first train back to the airport.

I'd not plan a ton of things. Find the interesting points you want to visit and then get lost wandering between them.

fnaime23 Mar 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by abaron (Post 28066411)
8pm in Paris means things are just starting.

Take your Camera but skip the taxi/uber. Paris is small enough that an hour in foot would let you see the 4 places you mentioned.

Frankly with your little bit of luggage I'd take the train in (the drive from the airport is nothing interesting). Get a hotel (or use a friends place as a crash pad and get in the first train back to the airport.

I'd not plan a ton of things. Find the interesting points you want to visit and then get lost wandering between them.

thank you abaron, I assume thats a busy enough area even at night and it would be safe enough.

what other things can I see and do at that time, maybe dinner places too.

fnaime23 Apr 3, 2017 4:14 pm

doesn't look like this part of the forum is very active. any help/advice/thought is helpful.

duchy Apr 3, 2017 4:26 pm

In your situation I'd book an Airbnb room close to a handy metro station. Go out to eat , wander the sights and take your photos then grab a few hours sleep before getting the Metro back to CDG.
Europeans eat far later than Americans generally do so dinner at 9pm won't be an issue.

Mountain Trader Apr 4, 2017 12:02 am

Originally Posted by duchy (Post 28125035)
In your situation I'd book an Airbnb room close to a handy metro station. Go out to eat , wander the sights and take your photos then grab a few hours sleep before getting the Metro back to CDG.
Europeans eat far later than Americans generally do so dinner at 9pm won't be an issue.

OP:

Please note that contrary to the above-quoted post, the Metro does not go to CDG.

And, while many seem to operate, Air BnB's legality in Paris is subject to debate.

Yahillwe Apr 4, 2017 5:00 am

OP, you can take the RER B to Chatelet, walk up Rue Rivoli (long walk but you will pass by the Louvre) into Concord, then walk up the Champs to Rue Marbeuf, go right on Rue Marbeuf. Find a L'entrocote (you won't miss it, there will be a line) eat steak and fries. Then walk up George Cinq to the Champ again until you are at the Arch. Find Rue Kleber, walk until you reach Trocadero, walk down to the tower.

How about that for an itinerary. Sleep at a hotel next to the nearest RER B station go to the airport the next day. Oh don't forget to stock up on baguette and croissant for your commute back.

fnaime23 Apr 4, 2017 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 28127016)
OP, you can take the RER B to Chatelet, walk up Rue Rivoli (long walk but you will pass by the Louvre) into Concord, then walk up the Champs to Rue Marbeuf, go right on Rue Marbeuf. Find a L'entrocote (you won't miss it, there will be a line) eat steak and fries. Then walk up George Cinq to the Champ again until you are at the Arch. Find Rue Kleber, walk until you reach Trocadero, walk down to the tower.

How about that for an itinerary. Sleep at a hotel next to the nearest RER B station go to the airport the next day. Oh don't forget to stock up on baguette and croissant for your commute back.

thank you that is a solid schedule.

thank you to others as well for their suggestions. if I find a place to store my backpack at the airport, I wouldn't carry that either. wonder if the DSLR would take better pictures than an Iphone7+ :)

Yahillwe Apr 4, 2017 11:39 am

Originally Posted by fnaime23 (Post 28128025)
thank you that is a solid schedule.

thank you to others as well for their suggestions. if I find a place to store my backpack at the airport, I wouldn't carry that either. wonder if the DSLR would take better pictures than an Iphone7+ :)

Warning, Chatelet is one of the worse metro stops, awful. Try to get out of that maze as quick as you can..... Or you can stop at Gare Du Nord (check if RER B stops there. Then take bus #42 and stop at Rond Point de Champs Elysee. With the 42 you would pass by the Opera house (it will be on your left) the Madelaine. Concord, the Champs.

*warning, KEEP you metro ticket, you will need it to get out of the RER and you never know if there is spot inspections.

* Gare du Nord is notorious for its pickpockets, be careful.

fnaime23 Apr 5, 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 28128578)
Warning, Chatelet is one of the worse metro stops, awful. Try to get out of that maze as quick as you can..... Or you can stop at Gare Du Nord (check if RER B stops there. Then take bus #42 and stop at Rond Point de Champs Elysee. With the 42 you would pass by the Opera house (it will be on your left) the Madelaine. Concord, the Champs.

*warning, KEEP you metro ticket, you will need it to get out of the RER and you never know if there is spot inspections.

* Gare du Nord is notorious for its pickpockets, be careful.

thank you for the advice, I was planning to walk by the Opera house.
Any other recommendations of cool places to see at night?
any recommendations on where to find the great baguetts and croisants? are these available all night?
also do you happen to know if there is somewhere to store a backpack and the airport, so that I don't have to worry about carrying it through paris and the pickpockets. I can then just carry my camera, money and phone.

Yahillwe Apr 5, 2017 1:16 pm

It would be a waste to walk by the Opera at night, even though it is beautiful, the area is dead at night, unless you go by Les Grands Blvd, but why waste your time. The 42 bus would pass by there, just look at your left and you will see it.

Bakeries close at 7ish. So your best bet is the am, and each area/person has their favorite bakery. It depends on where you will be staying.

You can see Notre Dame, but really walking the city after your dinner is the best thing. Just walk along the river and you will have the best views ever.

As for storage places, I really can't help you there, since I don't need to store.

But since you will be (am assuming) staying at a hotel, how about if you leave your backpack there?

Hoyaheel Apr 5, 2017 1:22 pm

Haven't used it, but it's mentioned on the CDG airport website http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passe...uggage-storage

Air France says there are lockers near the RER station http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common...le-airport.htm

But if you're getting a hotel room, use that. If you plan to roam all night (which sounds unpleasant to me) then it looks like you could store it at the airport.

fnaime23 Apr 6, 2017 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 28134057)
Haven't used it, but it's mentioned on the CDG airport website http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passe...uggage-storage

Air France says there are lockers near the RER station http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common...le-airport.htm

But if you're getting a hotel room, use that. If you plan to roam all night (which sounds unpleasant to me) then it looks like you could store it at the airport.

thank you for the links. not planning to roam all night, for now I did plan on possibly getting back to the airport say 2ish maybe (which seems a cab/uber is my only option) and using Yotel for 4 hours rather than waking up and heading towards CDG no later 6am for a 10am flight.
I need to look at possible hotels near ReR B. cost wise it would be the same if I take a cab and get a room at Yotel or stay near rer. Although I didn't even think of using my Marriott points, I guess this is what they are for :) Also looks like the luggage storage is only open between 6am-9.30pm. maybe the residence by tulleries is a good bet.