Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

hotel recommendation /paris

hotel recommendation /paris

Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tamino
I have never heard the Mayor say that neighbors should turn in those renting illegal apartments. It would not really be necessary for her to say that as many residents do not want neighboring apartments turned into businesses for absentee landlords and are generally very unhappy about the constant comings and goings of strangers in their buildings.

Somehow I missed this. Do you have a reference for this statement, perhaps a newspaper article?

Unfortunately, it is not illegal to make money renting illegal apartments as long as you do not actually own them yourself. Still, a number of businesses renting illegal apartments have closed their doors.
First page on Google:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/pa...ighbor-issues/

https://parispropertygroup.com/blog/...-relationship/
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Thank you for the links MT but most of the information in the first link came directly from airbnb (probably not extremely objective) and the information in the second link is a quick overview of the recent rental laws and primarily their effects of airbnb.

Basically, what these articles gloss over is the fact that to qualify as a legal rental (explained under item #1 of my post #9), the apartment must be the owner´s legal residence; not a secondary home, not a pied-ŕ-terre, not investment property, not property which is rented from someone else or sublet. Airbnb has tried to entice owners to list their apartments but the bulk of what they presently show on their website is not an owner´s primary residence.

Airbnb attempts to characterize the law ALUR as confusing. Agreed, if the government had issued a complete ban on all rentals, the issue would be much clearer but the law as it is currently written is neither ambiguous nor confusing. Aibnb also complains about government regulation making them report revenues per owner. However, this is nothing different than the 1099´s the US government requires businesses submit.

What I was most interested in was your statement:

A court last month held that rentals are legal,
Of course they are legal as long as they meet one of the two requirements, again stated in post #9. Are you purposing that portions of ALUR were found to be invalid as determined by a court?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Tamino
Thank you for the links MT but most of the information in the first link came directly from airbnb (probably not extremely objective) and the information in the second link is a quick overview of the recent rental laws and primarily their effects of airbnb.

Basically, what these articles gloss over is the fact that to qualify as a legal rental (explained under item #1 of my post #9), the apartment must be the owner´s legal residence; not a secondary home, not a pied-ŕ-terre, not investment property, not property which is rented from someone else or sublet. Airbnb has tried to entice owners to list their apartments but the bulk of what they presently show on their website is not an owner´s primary residence.

Airbnb attempts to characterize the law ALUR as confusing. Agreed, if the government had issued a complete ban on all rentals, the issue would be much clearer but the law as it is currently written is neither ambiguous nor confusing. Aibnb also complains about government regulation making them report revenues per owner. However, this is nothing different than the 1099´s the US government requires businesses submit.

What I was most interested in was your statement:

Of course they are legal as long as they meet one of the two requirements, again stated in post #9. Are you purposing that portions of ALUR were found to be invalid as determined by a court?
This a a general travel bulletin board, and many who visit the France boards do so with little knowledge of the local situation as to rentals. I said:

"The Air BnB situation is Paris is far from settled", and I believe it is. My intent was to warn readers that jumping into a short term rental may be a less secure leap than in other areas to which they travel.

Your posts provide a lot of details, and some might be useful to that audience. For example, there's no reliable way I know of for a customer to know if the rental he/she is considering meets the qualifications to be legal.

Please post all the details you want. Other than the caveats to readers mentioned above, I have no interest in the Paris short term rental market.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Right. Seeing as how there are over 48 thousand Airbnb listings in Paris I'm pretty sure that few people care or know about any such law. Neither owners nor clients.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
This a a general travel bulletin board, and many who visit the France boards do so with little knowledge of the local situation as to rentals. I said:

"The Air BnB situation is Paris is far from settled", and I believe it is. My intent was to warn readers that jumping into a short term rental may be a less secure leap than in other areas to which they travel.

Your posts provide a lot of details, and some might be useful to that audience. For example, there's no reliable way I know of for a customer to know if the rental he/she is considering meets the qualifications to be legal.
It might be safe to say that in general, short term rentals in Paris are illegal. However, the government has made two exceptions and I shall agree that for many of those interested, knowing with certitude that any specific apartment is a legal one is not always obvious. There are risks. For example, any illegal rental apartment may be removed from the market by government action with little to no warning to the visitor who thinks his Paris accommodations have been arranged.

Originally Posted by stimpy
Right. Seeing as how there are over 48 thousand Airbnb listings in Paris I'm pretty sure that few people care or know about any such law. Neither owners nor clients.
I believe that the latest number from airbnb has now reached 60,000 listings. The number is somewhat misleading in that the number of actual apartments available at any given time may be far fewer as many of these listings may be for a rental period of not longer than one week per year. It does not represent a stable number of units that are readily availability.

I think that it would be a mistake to underestimate exactly how important this issue is to the French government and to the residents of Paris. Certainly there are investors motived more by profit than they are by the risks associated with black market rental activity. But the vacation rental landscape is changing in Paris and the trend is toward much tighter control. There are risks in renting a vacation apartment in Paris and this is the element which will be of possible interest to many of the reads of a travel bulletin board.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Going to Paris for 3 nights in late August. I have not been to Paris in nearly 20 years (first time as an adult) and would really like to be centrally located, first and foremost. It seems like the 1st Arrondissement is well-placed - near the Louvre, right on the Seine, not too far east from the Champs-Elysee and the Arc de Triomphe. Agreed - or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Natural follow-up is - any suggests on where to stay? Not really looking to bust the budget in town, but hotels.com seemed to be showing a (very) high number of 5-star hotels, a number with very decent prices.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Lots of Parisiennes leave for the month and you may find restaurants you want closed, etc.
As for central, if you speak even rudimentary french (or maybe even without) bus and metro is sooo easy. Also Paris is very much a walking city. What you consider "reasonable" and which sites you want to see may be important - there is lots to Paris besides the Champs/Arc and for me those other areas are more interesting than the very touristy Champs - YMMV
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
If you are landing at 10 pm with a toddler - I would certainly recommend staying near the airport the first night if your flight is long/involves time zone changes. It's been a while but there are a few basic (some with free transport) hotels nearby and there used to be one (many years ago) that was pretty much directly accessible from CDG
I'd hate to deal with a (likely) fussy, tired, toddler and all the associated luggage, etc (as well as an unfamiliar city?) after a long flight in the dark. IMHO much nicer to just get some sleep, tend to the childs needs and venture to the city next day.
right, that was my first thought as well. we have long flights with a first time overseas flight with the toddler.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:24 am

August is low season for hotels in Paris, quickly followed by high season in September. August is the absolutely the best time for hotel deals as business grinds to a halt for summer vacation and for travel outside of Paris, particularly beach destinations. I wouldn´t book with any third party without first checking a hotel´s own website as it is here where the best deals are often found.

As for where to stay, each portion of the city has positive aspects. Ultimately it´s personal preference.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by estnet
Lots of Parisiennes leave for the month and you may find restaurants you want closed, etc.
So do Parisiens (male Parisians or just Parisians in general). "Parisiennes" are female Parisians.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by ajGoes
So do Parisiens (male Parisians or just Parisians in general). "Parisiennes" are female Parisians.
Ohhh so sorry for my poor spelling - I thought it wasn't right but I was too tired to check (and the one time I needed spell check it wasn't there )
Old May 9, 2017, 1:23 pm

Hey just wondered where you ended up staying? I have more or less the exact same question all the way down to price and 1.5 year old.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Going to Paris for 3 nights in late August. I have not been to Paris in nearly 20 years (first time as an adult) and would really like to be centrally located, first and foremost. It seems like the 1st Arrondissement is well-placed - near the Louvre, right on the Seine, not too far east from the Champs-Elysee and the Arc de Triomphe. Agreed - or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Natural follow-up is - any suggests on where to stay? Not really looking to bust the budget in town, but hotels.com seemed to be showing a (very) high number of 5-star hotels, a number with very decent prices.
I know i am picking up an old thread, but if you want a 5-star hotel in the 1st, look no further than the Nolinski.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be001
Hey just wondered where you ended up staying? I have more or less the exact same question all the way down to price and 1.5 year old.
I've been procrastinating on the booking ! i need to get back on researching all the hotel options and book. My wife needs a visa to France and we have to get the hotel booking and insurance in order to get her approved.

I also had an acquaintance who used airbnb and worked for her last year. She was telling me about it and i even signed up. i just don't know if we personally are comfortable in doing that.

i'll let you know which viable option i go too.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:17 am

we are going next week. ended up booking a duplex at hotel marais home for 2 nights (hotels.com with coupon and giving assistant ended up being about 200 a night), then airbnb for the rest of the trip. With the toddler we wanted the kitchen so went with airbnb for the majority of the trip. 2 bedrooms I think it was about 180 euro a night or so but this was on the expensive end for sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.