Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Avoiding the heat/crowds in mid-July

Old Jan 14, 17, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.

I am taking the first steps to plan a trip with my family and another family to either France or Italy this summer (posting in the Italy forum, too). There will be 4 parents and 7 "kids" ages 13 to 21. We have all been to France before so the point is to be together in one of our favorite European countries, enjoy the culture and eat and drink. Our priorities are good food and local flavor in the form of sights, cafes, events, shops. We like to stay in one place and explore nearby as opposed to hotel hopping. Husband and I are planning to travel for one week with our brood and then join the other family for week 2.

I am looking for suggestions of where we might create a home-base for week 2. We are hemmed into the second or third week of July so weather is an issue. I am from the deep south where we get more than our share of heat and would prefer more moderate weather. I spent a week on Lake Como once in July and we called it our "Streetcar Named Desire" holiday-no air-conditioning and crowded, hot beaches so a mandatory cool shower every afternoon was our primary relief-would prefer to not repeat that experience. We are looking for a town or village so that we can access a few restaurants and cafes by walking, although we will have a couple of cars. My experiences in France have been in the south and also Paris and we are looking for something different. Are there some charming towns in the Alps? Other suggestions for more moderate climate with culture and good food?
Old Jan 14, 17, 1:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by travelmom4 View Post
I spent a week on Lake Como once in July and we called it our "Streetcar Named Desire" holiday-no air-conditioning and crowded, hot beaches so a mandatory cool shower every afternoon was our primary relief-would prefer to not repeat that experience.
But that's Europe during the summer months. Even the North of France can get very high temperatures during the summer months. Heading into the Alps won't necessarily help with that. Moreover, I would say that charming alpine villages are very rare in France.
Old Jan 15, 17, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Moreover, I would say that charming alpine villages are very rare in France.
Sorry but this is laughable

Originally Posted by travelmom4 View Post
I am taking the first steps to plan a trip with my family and another family to either France or Italy this summer (posting in the Italy forum, too). There will be 4 parents and 7 "kids" ages 13 to 21. We have all been to France before so the point is to be together in one of our favorite European countries, enjoy the culture and eat and drink. Our priorities are good food and local flavor in the form of sights, cafes, events, shops. We like to stay in one place and explore nearby as opposed to hotel hopping. Husband and I are planning to travel for one week with our brood and then join the other family for week 2.

I am looking for suggestions of where we might create a home-base for week 2. We are hemmed into the second or third week of July so weather is an issue. I am from the deep south where we get more than our share of heat and would prefer more moderate weather. I spent a week on Lake Como once in July and we called it our "Streetcar Named Desire" holiday-no air-conditioning and crowded, hot beaches so a mandatory cool shower every afternoon was our primary relief-would prefer to not repeat that experience. We are looking for a town or village so that we can access a few restaurants and cafes by walking, although we will have a couple of cars. My experiences in France have been in the south and also Paris and we are looking for something different. Are there some charming towns in the Alps? Other suggestions for more moderate climate with culture and good food?
Good food is certainly not a problem anywhere in France.
For the weather, well as by Worldlux, this is summer time so it can be hot everywhere. And summer means some kind of "crowd" anywhere nice.
As you were talking about the alps, I wanted to suggest Annecy and its lake. Beautiful city and lake. But as you have been to Lake Como, it will be about the same kind of holidays.
Another beautiful place and certainly not very hot would be Brittany. But, in Brittany, the weather can be so-so, so be prepared for some rain eventually.
Or if you are really looking at mountains, you could try the Pyrenées (border France/Spain) : beautiful places to visit too in the Basque country and elsewhere (avoid Andorre at all costs).
Old Jan 15, 17, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
Thanks, Goldorak, for the suggestion of Annecy. It looks beautiful and seems like my kind of place. Will certainly look into it further. I may also explore Brittany-we will probably like that, too. The Basque country is a strong possibility and I appreciate the tip on Andorre.
Old Jan 15, 17, 1:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Sorry but this is laughable
Well you have to admit that France has a few hideous alpine villages. Especially the villages that focus on winter sports somewhat lack in charm. Compared to what you can find in other regions of France, I find many towns in the French Alpes comparably bland.
Old Feb 20, 17, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Take a look at this place. This may be an option. You can use St. Remy de Provence as your base. I stayed there a couple of years ago and loved it. I am planning a large family vacation with several families in a couple of years and am considering doing it here.
You could do day trips or just hang out around the pool.
St. Remy has a few very nice restaurants and a Saturday ( or was it Sunday) market with nice food stalls.

http://www.les-sources-saint-remy.com/
Old Mar 2, 17, 10:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Hossegor, the surfing capital of France, could be an interesting discovery for you, even if it is crawling with Australians.

It is within reach of many lovely places in southwestern France.

Search this Thread