Reload this Page >

Express Train between Paris and CDG Coming in 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald

Express train link from Paris to Charles de Gaulle airport gets final green light

The proposed express train line between central Paris and Charles de Gaulle airport, that will cut journey times to 20 minutes, got final approval from the French parliament on Tuesday, meaning it's on track for 2023.

<snip>

The line is planned to run from Gare de L'Est, the younger brother of the nearby Gare du Nord station that currently connects the airport to the city.

<snip>

Once complete in 2023, the CDG Express will speed travellers non-stop along the 32 kilometres (20 miles) between Gare de l'Est railway station and the airport in just 20 minutes. That is twice as fast as the existing suburban train that stops along the way...

<snip>

A one-way express ticket is projected to cost €24 ($33), compared with less than €10 for the suburban train.

<snip>
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:38 am

I see pluses and minuses here.

Plus: Speed, no stops at edgy banlieue stations, far less chance of problem fellow passengers.

Minuses: Cost, getting to Gare de l'Est, (I assume) Not having the convenience of catching the RER B south of Gare du Nord for a no connection trip to CDG.

Saving 20 minutes on a trip to the airport will matter little to many passengers, and I expect the popularity of the new train will hinge on other factors.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
One more plus - less crowded. It can be tough to get on the RER with luggage departing Paris during commuter hours when local traffic crowds onto the train.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
with all the strikes and troubles I think this project is more likely to finish in 2030
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:08 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
So basically it's going to be like the Heathrow Express, which is only taken by FT DYKWIAs, people who live/work/happen to be near to Paddington, and suckers who fall for the marketing
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Gare de l´Est is an odd choice, particularly as it is not connected to the RER network. Any time gained arriving from the airport on a fast train will be potentially lost in connecting to one´s final destination.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Tamino
Gare de l´Est is an odd choice, particularly as it is not connected to the RER network.
It is (RER E, Magenta station), but Métro connections are likely more important than a RER one (people who will need to take the RER are likely going to the suburbs and so they will have taken directly a taxi from CDG).
I also agree that Gare de l'est is not the best choice and that they could have rather chosen Haussman-St Lazare, by joining the RER E tracks near Gare du Nord and Est. This would have involved limited underground constructions and will have make the line arriving in a much more attractive and interesting location for business pax and tourists. But to be fair, whatever the terminal station is, you will always have people happy and other unhappy
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak

But to be fair, whatever the terminal station is, you will always have people happy and other unhappy
Yeah, but as you say, delivering people to the city center makes a lot more sense. A high price service like this is selling convenience and for most, Gare de l'Est is not convenient.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Yeah, but as you say, delivering people to the city center makes a lot more sense. A high price service like this is selling convenience and for most, Gare de l'Est is not convenient.
Gare du Nord/Gare de l'Est seems like a good pick to me. You have RER connections to other large train stations (e.g. Gare de Lyon). There are Eurostar services, Thalys services, TGV services terminating at the station and lots of TGV connections terminating at the Gare de l'Est.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
So basically it's going to be like the Heathrow Express, which is only taken by FT DYKWIAs, people who live/work/happen to be near to Paddington, and suckers who fall for the marketing
+1
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:01 pm

+1
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Gare du Nord/Gare de l'Est seems like a good pick to me. You have RER connections to other large train stations (e.g. Gare de Lyon). There are Eurostar services, Thalys services, TGV services terminating at the station and lots of TGV connections terminating at the Gare de l'Est.
Treating Gare de l'Est and Gare du Nord as one station is not how most view the situation since you have to transfer from one to the other. Gare du Nord would have been much better given that Eurostar, Thalys and more attractive other trains actually stop there. However neither station gets the Paris-bound traveler to the center city, and that's where most business and tourist travelers are going.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You save twenty minutes travel time, but lose mire than that when you try to transfer to a metro/RER line to take a taxi to your destination in the center of Paris. Then you pay almost 150% more for this? No thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:33 pm

Any chance it will link CDG to ORY... ??Why transferring is not easier is beyond me.. Yes I can take the Bus Air france but always have to pad for traffic..
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by tcmb99
with all the strikes and troubles I think this project is more likely to finish in 2030
LAX is also building a people mover system targeted to be completed in 2023.

So the French will continue to target 2023 until the IOC makes a decision for 2024 on September 13, 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.