Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Train Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Booking Train Tickets

Hi! I am looking to book 3 train tickets from Paris to Lyon, Lyon to Nice and Nice back to CDG.

In searching the forum, I found a post suggesting the use of this site:

https://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en

Someone on the post said when asked your country, state France, since that is where you are picking up the tickets?

When I started to purchase the tickets, the site suggested I create an account - but as I was working on this earlier, when looking from the US version of the site, prices seemed higher.

SO - what's the best way to book these tickets?

THANK YOU for your help!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
You might want to take a look at the Seat61 website; I found it really helpful last year when I took the train from Paris to Nice:

http://www.seat61.com/international-...htm#Paris-Nice

I believe SNCF, if you indicate you're in the US, redirects to Rail Europe, which charges higher prices for the same tickets.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Thank you! I will read it.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
As others have said, the best site for explaining the options for train travel in France (including key timetables and lots of photos) is the man in Seat 61's France page.

For booking, I'd suggest either Loco2 (based in London, charge in GBP but at ~spot rate, full set of tickets, no US-markup, friendly support) or Trainline Europe (used to be Captain Train, based in France, bill in EUR, still fluffy, but there's always the risk that the Trainline will ruin them as they charge fees in the UK that you can easily avoid + have misleading adverts)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.