Reload this Page >

Safety on Europe Vacation?

Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime

Might not be the correct location for this questions but,
I have a vacation in southern France planned for 4/2-4/9 flying ATL CDG NCE.
With latest teror events what are the thoughts on everyones upcoming vacations to Europe? My wife and I are still a go but family and friends want us to cancel?
Just wondering how others are dealing with it.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:14 am
Original Member

Well, I'd still go, but I'm not you, and only you can make that decision. Overall, your individual risk is still pretty low.

We did Nice, Avignon, Aix and surrounding towns last year in May, and it was marvelous.

And we are not canceling our European trip in May either.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tuono07
With latest teror events what are the thoughts on everyones upcoming vacations to Europe? My wife and I are still a go but family and friends want us to cancel?
If I had a trip to Europe, I'd go in a heartbeat. Yeah, I might avoid Brussels, just because of the lockdown/government investigation — not so much out of concern for my safety.

The riviera should be fine. Out of an abundance of caution, avoid crowds and proceed through airport checkin and security checks with all due speed.

But seriously, go and have fun.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
We have a trip booked in July which includes a BRU-JFK leg. We have no intention of changing our visit to Belgium or our BRU departure. We'll also be travelling via train from AMS-Antwerp-Bruges which happens to avoid Brussels Midi but that was already planned as a shorter, easier route. We'll be sticking with our Bruges-BRU train trip.

I realize that our trip is further out than yours, but if we were booked in your time frame, we'd be going. Your circumstances are probably very different from ours but we feel as safe or safer going to Europe as we do walking around New Orleans in the late evening, which we do almost daily.

Also, like us, while you'll be transiting a target airport, our destination is not the kind of population center that terrorists typically go after.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd go but allow some extra time at all airports for security screening and passport control if applicable.

If lots of tourists and other travellers stay away, this could be a very nice time to go to Europe. Shorter museum lines, fewer crowds, and easier availability of restaurant reservations and hotel space/upgrades.

If you're really worried, avoid the area around and between Paris and Brussels for now.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Would go but as one living in Europe i might have a somehwta different opinion then someone from the US.
Exercise caution and avoid large gatherings and public transport (train/busses), rent a car instead or use a taxi. You have SP, use it to get through the security check asap.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Would go but as one living in Europe i might have a somehwta different opinion then someone from the US.
Exercise caution and avoid large gatherings and public transport (train/busses), rent a car instead or use a taxi. You have SP, use it to get through the security check asap.
Yep. In fact, if you're renting a car, have fun in the countryside and interesting small towns. Now is the time to drive the German castle road or explore their rivers, for example. [However, I wouldn't do the Loire chateaux because they can be crowded, especially in the spring and summer.] You could bike through Benelux. Think about alternative areas that you haven't previously visited, but I'd probably want to stick with countries and airports that have reputations for effective and efficient security.

If you're concerned, avoid crowds/subways/large events/large convention type hotels and hotels that seem to be obviously USA-affiliated. Perhaps avoid places with prominent politicians etc. as the enhanced security could be a major pain.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Thanks to everyone for your responses. They have echoed my own belief that while recent event are terrible and will probably continue I will not change the way I live or travel.
I will be more aware of surroundings and events, stay away from large groups and since we will be renting a car and driving we will not need to use mass transit.
I'm assuming that security at CDG will be more intense and with only a 75min layover between my ATL to CDG and CDG to Nice I think I will call Delta and see if I can get later flight to Nice.

Thanks Again All
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL FO
I have a trip to Italy planned for May, with connections at CDG on the trip over and the return. I do not intend to change my plans. I'm prepared for extra security and more scrutiny at passport control.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We have the trip below planned for April. We are still going. Yea - some folks think we are crazy, but... well, we are.

As said, I would probably avoid Brussels right now. They may well get to a police state like Boston did.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
My friend and I are spending a few days in London this May, before visiting a bunch of cities in England via rail. I'm not worried at all. I already know how to act in urban areas these days. Avoid crowds, chokepoints, and anything (or anyone) that looks suspicious. Just common sense.

I don't really get worked up about all this stuff, in terms of my own personal safety (in terms of foreign and public policy, this is the wrong forum ).

The best thing I can do to help people whose lives are disrupted by terror is to keep spending money, and not cancel my plans in an irrational panic.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Mar 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:24 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

This topic has nothing to do with Delta Air Lines or the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

The new home for this discussion is now the France forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:43 am

This is interesting. My wife plans to fly directly to NCE this May and join her friend living there along with others from the West coast. They'll skirt Paris except maybe for a few days as they chunnel to London and back.

I advised her that the TGVs are far less likely to see roving gangs. So they should be much nicer rides than other long-legged transit options, and safer in most events unless they get derailed. So up to Lyon plus locally around Provence and the glitzier coastal cities should provide for more carefree places for unaccompanied women to enjoy.

Last edited by FlitBen; Mar 28, 2016 at 8:52 am
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Originally Posted by tuono07

I live in Paris, we still go outside and life is normal.

Please come, spring is in the air, flowers are blooming, temperatures are going up, al fresco dining continues...

You are still far more likely to be in a car crash on the way to the airport than to come into contact in any way whatsoever with a terrorist and we are not under martial law or any of that rubbish, the only question that really impacts morale at the moment is will France win the soccer tonight?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Originally Posted by FlitBen
roving gangs.
Err - we don't actually have roving gangs... pickpockets maybe, but "roving gangs"? Seriously.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.