Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Paris with my sister in February

Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM

I am taking my very ill (stage 4 cancer) sister and mother to Paris in February for my sister's dream trip. I want this to be the trip of a lifetime for my sister, and create memories for my mother. I am looking for a well located luxury (but on a moderate budget) hotel which is elegant in a classic French style. I don't know how she will be in February, so I am also looking for a driver for a few days to cut down on her need to walk a lot.

This will be her first trip to Paris, so we will be doing the the standard tourist stuff. Any help is appreciated.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by FC flyer
I am looking for a well located luxury (but on a moderate budget) hotel which is elegant in a classic French style.
I am sorry about your sister.

Answers you might receive will be much more useful to you if you could include your budget window in euros. How many rooms specifically will you need? A moderate budget for two people, a least in my view, would be somewhere between 150€ to 250€ per night. Hotels in that range will be comfortable, well located, have a number of amenities, but will not be of the luxury category.

As for transportation, the bus network is very efficient and allows interesting viewing, vs. the métro where you see nothing as you travel. Seats may not always be available and it will be very cold in February. I would not normally recommend someone use a car service for sightseeing, but your case presents understandable concerns. I might contact Navendis which is a transportation company like the RATP or SNCF (not a VTC) using cars with private drivers. I would book well in advance.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Welcome to Paris. Wonder how old is your sister.

Hotels, I and maybe the rest would need a ballpark price range.

Chauffeurs can be expensive, but I have a few. Uber is great here, imo much better than the US.

Restaurants? Do you want traditional places?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. I really would like to keep the room under 250 Euro per night, as I spent a fortune on the flights. When I say luxury, I am thinking more of style than of pampering. When she thinks of Paris, she sees Paris of the movies, with floor to ceiling windows and long drapes-that sort of thing.

My sister is in her 50's and will be on a chemo 'vacation' in February. I ordinarily would never use a driver, but I want to make this as easy on her and my mother as I can. My husband and I have been to Paris many times, but haven't been there for many years now. Any suggestions of what to do, where to eat etc will be appreciated.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Maybe have a look at this thread for inspiration re food :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...nts-paris.html
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Sorry to hear about your sister - Paris is a lovely trip.

I've stayed in many boutique hotels in Paris none are "movie like" but reasonably priced. It seems you need three people in a room? Did you also want a view of Eiffel Tower?

Uber is easy to use when I was in Paris and taxis, while expensive, are easy to call.

I have a few cafe suggestions from my recent trip - Buvette (croque madame, avocado toast and the best chocolate mousse), Miznon, Holy Belly and Breakfast in America

For private museum tours, Daisy of THATLou is fabulous (a NYC expat art history) we did a treasure hunt of Louvre but she does private tours. I did an educational art tour w/Context of Musee D'Orsay. I loved my day out to the Loire Valley for castles (I went with City Wonder bus tour but there are many options). I have many Paris posts on my philatravelgirl site

I have great travel agent who has good concierge in Paris if you want to chat w/her just DM me for info.

Do note that we had fabulous assistance for my friend who is in a wheelchair at the various attractions just in case you need to use a wheelchair. You may want to research a wheelchair option to help with the walking - one bloggers is Curbfree w/Cory Lee
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

We actually need 2 rooms, one for me and my husband, and one for my sister and mom. Thanks for the tips you gave me. We will have a better idea in January how she will be for the trip, and what we will need for accommodation for her.

As for the view, any beautiful view would be great.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I want this to be such a special trip for Judy and Mom.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by FC flyer
As for the view, any beautiful view would be great.
This was the view from my hotel room May, 2014:

It's the Hyatt Regency Etoile booked through Hotwire for $119 a night. Friends have gotten similar a room for $107 a night a couple of months later.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Wow. I will look into this. Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Have a look also at the Terrass hotel, in the 18th near Montmartre. It has just been fully renovated and they have an excellent roof-top restaurant and terrace with a great view on Paris. It belongs to the BestWestern chain, but it is a fancy one

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.