Madame or Mademoiselle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madame or Mademoiselle?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
See, that was not so difficult to explain.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: LCAH Gold
Originally Posted by wideman
At an American company where I worked (Digital Equipment Corp) that had large offices in Evry and Valbonne, the French offices had the explicit policy that co-workers would always tutoyer one another. Is it common practice for such a policy to be explicit?
As far as I know, yes, such a policy is always explicit.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
See, that was not so difficult to explain.
Well...while I agree with what the French posters have said, in the real world it is not always as straightforward as it seems and not all cases are fitting well with those "rules", making this a complex thing

Originally Posted by Buaires
As far as I know, yes, such a policy is always explicit.
But I believe an explicit policy like this is not that frequent, outside start-up companies. Personnally, I find such explicit policies "stupid". Let the people do as they wish. Some people are uncomfortable with tutoyer in the work environment, especially with their boss.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've known some international work environments where most people said vous in French (or Sie in German) but then used first names, especially when speaking English or when foreigners (especially Americans) were present. It's an odd combination but seems to work as a compromise.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Well...while I agree with what the French posters have said, in the real world it is not always as straightforward as it seems and not all cases are fitting well with those "rules", making this a complex thing

But I believe an explicit policy like this is not that frequent, outside start-up companies. Personnally, I find such explicit policies "stupid". Let the people do as they wish. Some people are uncomfortable with tutoyer in the work environment, especially with their boss.
This is quite true, but you get used to it relatively quickly. However, it remains really difficult to "tutoyer" when having an issue with a colleague, or with your boss upper in the hierarchy.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've known some international work environments where most people said vous in French (or Sie in German) but then used first names, especially when speaking English or when foreigners (especially Americans) were present. It's an odd combination but seems to work as a compromise.
Maybe slightly OT, but I find these situations with the back and forth between an American and a German work environement somewhat challenging, especially when the first contact with a new business partner was made on a conference call in English, where first names were used. I never know what to do when I seperately speak with that person in German or send an e-mail in German.

I think "Sie" and last name would be more appropriate, but I try to avoid using either as much as possible.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
OK, kind people, here is another one. What about ma collčgue? Is it strange to use this in a dining/social context, or is it appropriate only in a business setting?

T2
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Today, my daughter who is in her late 20s was addressed as "madame" by the waiter.
It was the same for me once I was in my mid- to late 20s. Although I was single, I preferred Sra. in Spanish, and Mme. in French. Fortunately, in Spanish, I had the option of using my title back home (Lcda., the equivalent of Maitre -- sorry, can't figure out the accent circ. here), making it much easier.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by tartetatin2
OK, kind people, here is another one. What about ma collčgue? Is it strange to use this in a dining/social context, or is it appropriate only in a business setting?

T2
When talking about your co-workers, "ma collčgue" / "mon collčgue" is totally fine, in all contexts.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In France, it is absolutely not odd to say vous to somebody and calling him/her by the first name. Happens all the time either in the work or private sphere. By example, I vouvoie my boss but I call him by his first name.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Goldorak
In France, it is absolutely not odd to say vous to somebody and calling him/her by the first name. Happens all the time either in the work or private sphere. By example, I vouvoie my boss but I call him by his first name.
Very true. And if you read older literature, using tu was a much more rare thing in previous generations. Someone had to be very special to use tu. And the lower class could never use tu with the upper class. At least from the books I've read.

Perhaps it has taken a couple of liberal generations for us to get where we are now with tu versus vous.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by stimpy
Very true. And if you read older literature, using tu was a much more rare thing in previous generations. Someone had to be very special to use tu. And the lower class could never use tu with the upper class. At least from the books I've read.

Perhaps it has taken a couple of liberal generations for us to get where we are now with tu versus vous.
Interesting. OT, but in Spanish, it was similar. My grandmother referred to her own father as "Papa," and "usted" (vous). She said you would never "tutear" your father/mother, as it was much too informal, back in the day. It was not until my mother's generation that people began to use "tu" when speaking to their parents.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yet there are other European countries, IIRC Denmark and Holland for example, where the common usage switched to saying the equivalent of tu to almost everyone.

Another example is in church, where the informal seems to be used. {But how would one address a high church official, perhaps like a Roman Catholic Bishop or higher?}
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by ysolde
Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpy

Interesting. OT, but in Spanish, it was similar. My grandmother referred to her own father as "Papa," and "usted" (vous). She said you would never "tutear" your father/mother, as it was much too informal, back in the day. It was not until my mother's generation that people began to use "tu" when speaking to their parents.
Actually I know some "De" families who still refer to their parents in the "vous" manner. It still exists.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
By way of a thank you and follow up, I did speak in behalf of my friend as Madame to all of our hotel/dining/transport contacts and it was appropriate. My friend quickly understood that the salutation was for respect/age and not her marital status. Showing her Paris was a wonderful experience; we went back to France this past January to Nice and a bit of PACA. As we speak, I'm planning my next visit, comme toujours!

Merci

T2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.