Wiki Posts
Search

To go to Paris soon or not?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I do between 50 and 100 trips/nights per year in Paris so no I won't change any plans. In fact I plan to celebrate the new year with family in Paris. Even though you could theorize that NYE is a perfect terrorist target, I'll not back down. I suspect this NYE will be a special and rather emotional one for Parisiens and I expect they will show their numbers on the streets.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by spd476
My wife and I are scheduled to arrive on 11/26. We realize the odds of being killed or harmed in a terrorist attack are extremely low. We wonder how much we will enjoy ourselves there? Will things be back to "normal", or at least as normal as they can be after such a tragedy. Will the major sites be open? I figure they will be by then, but we don't want to miss out on something like the Louvre.

It's a tough choice whether to go or not. We are leaning towards still going. That will depend on what happens this upcoming week.
Don't worry, come and enjoy
Yes, I'm 99.9% sure everything will run normally.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
You haven't addressed your statement blaming French border authorities for failings over borders for which they have no legal authority. I did not expect you would.
I don't criticize the French for holding to Schengen rules. I would have though if they didn't think to reinstate controls in response to the security fiasco they've suffered. EU rules have always allowed for these contingencies, and ultimately they do run their own borders. But maybe the regular rules need to be revised in light of current conditions.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:06 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by stut
I'm over there in a couple of weeks, to see some close friends. This shower is not going to keep me away.
This.

The parisian folks are resilient. Life will return to normal quickly, without forgetting the tragedy that happened.
I will go to France at Christmas to celebrate it with my family without hesitation. Not going would be admitting defeat.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:46 am

go for sure in paris
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Travelwise, unfortunately I've got a fixed schedule until mid February. But seriously considering a trip to Dusseldorf/Cologne and with the Thalys HSR link to Paris then.

Not trying to be pretentious or anything, but I do love this city where I lived briefly 25 years ago, still have close friends and which I do find very pleasing on all senses.

Probably a couple of nights, visiting old familiar spots and paying my honors to those who met their fate recently in the City of Lights.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:43 am

These young people were in the wrong place at the wrong time through no fault of their own. All civilized minds share in the horror of the attacks on the defenseless. But that's what the barbarians want us to dwell in, so let's not give it to them. If we confront the implications with resolve and true understanding, we defend our cultural objectives better than they do theirs.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I believe Monet's gardens and home in Giverny are closed for the season and re-open in March.
You can be out of the Orangerie museum in an hour, once you get in. Lovely paintings. Museum closed Tuesdays.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by fransknorge
This.

The parisian folks are resilient. Life will return to normal quickly, without forgetting the tragedy that happened.
I will go to France at Christmas to celebrate it with my family without hesitation. Not going would be admitting defeat.
Life has returned to normal, despite the mourning.

Happy to read you're coming for Christmas.

It's unfair but business is going to be incredibly hard for Parisian shops and hotels. When I checked in yesterday morning, 3/4 of my hotel was checking out early in order to depart days before; they were all heading to the airport to fly out.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
There may be some hotel discounts in the coming days due to the situation.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by FlitBen
There's a high-value climate junket in a week or two which will be religiously attended by world leaders. At least one of the recent attackers was a "refugee". Some of the rest were likely Frenchmen from the ungovernable Muslim zones surrounding Paris.

I highly suggest you avoid the city for now as its streets are under martial rule, and believe me there's not much fun in that. The French government has trouble controlling the borders and has already ceded hundreds of towns to the lawless populations hosting their homegrown Islamists. The security services are setting up local intel networks much like Israel's system, but they've been overwhelmed and you won't know where and when the next black raid will happen.
Originally Posted by Tamino
Streets under martial rule, ceded hundreds of towns, I applaud your creativity FitBen. Where in the world did you come up with all of that?
Just like you Tamino, I was shaking my head reading the above... Martial rule??? Where?

Can't believe what I just read. Everything is open and going.. people in cafes, movies shopping etc etc...

If you are scared then don't come... But I really haven't seen anything different..

By wednesday museums will be open, open air markets are back... I have only seen police next to Ecole Militaire... and Notre Dame... Parks were closed today, but people were out enjoying the beautiful weather.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
i agree, but it wouldn't surprise me to see bags searched upon entry to museums and other attractions.

This could also be a good time to get last minute dinner reservations at restaurants that are otherwise fully booked far in advance.
Those have been going on for many years... and in the dept stores, since Jan...
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
USA Ambassador to France: No travel advisory.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Just like you Tamino, I was shaking my head reading the above... Martial rule??? Where?

Can't believe what I just read. Everything is open and going.. people in cafes, movies shopping etc etc...

If you are scared then don't come... But I really haven't seen anything different..

By wednesday museums will be open, open air markets are back... I have only seen police next to Ecole Militaire... and Notre Dame... Parks were closed today, but people were out enjoying the beautiful weather.
As I said, don't mistake martial rule "state of emergency" for the far more severe situation where laws are suspended. I was merely pointing to the inconveniences and other issues which currently affects visitors and which those arriving soon should factor in their plans.

The security lockdowns and sight closures and service disruptions are not making Paris less lovely. But they will be and are crimping the expectations of many who are wanting things to be normal when they aren't. Particularly as security planning for the conference will result in tighter measures.

This was my point, but fortunately it won't be for too long. Once all this has passed, Paris will be terrifically inviting again.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlitBen
As I said, don't mistake martial rule "state of emergency" for the far more severe situation where laws are suspended. I was merely pointing to the inconveniences and other issues which currently affects visitors and which those arriving soon should factor in their plans.

The security lockdowns and sight closures and service disruptions are not making Paris less lovely. But they will be and are crimping the expectations of many who are wanting things to be normal when they aren't. Particularly as security planning for the conference will result in tighter measures.

This was my point, but fortunately it won't be for too long. Once all this has passed, Paris will be terrifically inviting again.
Are you in Paris at the moment? Are you posting of what you have seen/been to?

My sister arrived at dawn on Saturday... The only inconvenience to her at the airport was the long lines at the immigration, just long lines... That is all.

She left this morning.. immigration and security were normal.

When I say things aren't as bad as the news media is portraying it.

If people are hesitant to come... I would say do come and enjoy your trip...

If you are scared, then don't come. Come when you feel comfortable.

Me living here, walking around, going to restaurants and cafes have been very safe and comfortable, except for a stupid incident, everything is just fine. The sights will be open either tomorrow or wednesday... from what I understand. Tourist buses were going all over... And I am talking from knowledge... I live half a block away from the most well known in the world.

Please stop the scare mongering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.