Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PH Vendome or Prince de Galles?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster

PH Vendome or Prince de Galles?

I'll be staying in Paris (my first time!) towards the end of March with my wife and I'm trying to decide between the PH Vendome and PDG for 3 nights. I only have base status with both Hyatt and Starwood, unfortunately, so I think my odds of being upgraded to anything beyond the standard room is basically nil. Interestingly, the cost of the nights that I am there is only $759 per night for the PH Vendome (I was under the impression it was much more) and $1089 per night for PDG. However, I will be using points for the stay regardless of which hotel I am at (170k Starwood and 200k Hyatt).

A few questions I had -
1) for the base rooms, is there an appreciable difference in the room sizes? Not just the square footage but the layouts? Or is this an unanswerable question because each room is different? I'm also not going to Paris with the expectation that we are going to have huge rooms - I know the rooms in general are smaller compared to other places.

2) Which location is "better" for a first time tourist who, on this short trip, really only has time to hit the highlights?

3) How does the PH Vendome compare to Park Hyatt Istanbul (we loved our stay in Istanbul but I get the sense that the PH Vendome style is a bit more classic?)

4) What is the style of PDG? My wife and I loved our stays at Royal Hawaiian and Westin Palace, not necessarily because the hotels/rooms were the greatest but because both hotels have a classy/historical air about them. I have the sense that PDG is probably a much better property than either of these, but any frame of reference comparison would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The PdG is classic or belle epoque hotel from 1928 and has a very rich history. The PH is a very modern hotel with no history. So although the PH is a super nice hotel, I'll always choose the historical property. http://www.princedegallesparis.com/en/History

The PdG is quite a bit different from the Royal Hawaiian. It's a bit closer to the Palace in Madrid in its old-world style, but to a higher degree of quality.

Location wise for a tourist I don't think it matters. Both are very central. The PdG is next to the Four Seasons and it's nice to visit the bar or restaurant there.

Lastly I would say that the PdG is a very Parisian hotel. If you like French culture, this is the place. The PH could be almost anywhere in the world so if you don't appreciate French culture, maybe the PH is the best choice.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
PDG…..
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I think we will stay at PDG - I actually hadn't come across that history page; very interesting! Maybe next time we go to Paris, we'll stay at the PH Vendome to see what all the fuss is about!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Hyatt Place Vendome is very nice and the service is great.
I agree with the fact that it has not history but there is so much history in Paris and so many nice places to visit that I don't need history in my hotel/room

by the way, why is it costing you 200K with Hyatt for 3 nights?
it should be 90K only?

you know you can get a Hyatt credit card and get 2 nights free, right? You also get Plat status which gets you little - but maybe an upgrade to a nicer room. you also get a 2 pm check out.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

I was just mentioning how many points I have. I have the Hyatt credit card and yes, it'll only be 90,000 points, not 200,000. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.