Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

International driver's permit in France?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus

Hello all,

I have a Canadian driver's license and I was wondering if you need, as in required by law, to have an International driver's permit when you rent a car in France? I have searched and googled and everything seems to be vague. I did rent a car back in 2007 and didn't have one but it looks like the rules may have changed.

I'm currently in Italy (where it's definite that you need one ) so if it's required I am SOL I do believe but I'd like confirmation if anyone could offer it.

Thanks for any help!
Old May 31, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
There has been a change. If your valid license is not in French (as a Canadian, yours might be) or you are not from the EU (UK licenses are OK), then you should have either an official translation or an IDP.

I rather doubt anyone will ask you or really care unless you are in an accident and are required to present yourself officially at a local Préfecture. If that happens you can always get a translation locally but, in Paris at least, the going rate is 50€.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tamino
There has been a change. If your valid license is not in French (as a Canadian, yours might be) or you are not from the EU (UK licenses are OK), then you should have either an official translation or an IDP.

I rather doubt anyone will ask you or really care unless you are in an accident and are required to present yourself officially at a local Préfecture. If that happens you can always get a translation locally but, in Paris at least, the going rate is 50€.
What? Do you have any citations for this change? It sounds like urban legend. If the police stop you they certainly accept foreign drivers licences. They have never asked me for an IDP. In the case of the US they even have reciprocal agreements with many, but not all, US states. Not sure about Canada. And the rental car companies fully accept foreign drivers licenses.

Plus isn't the Canadian license bi-lingual already?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radnub
I'm currently in Italy (where it's definite that you need one ) so if it's required I am SOL I do believe but I'd like confirmation if anyone could offer it.
Again, not true. You don't need an IDP in Italy. I've rented countless times there with a US license.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by stimpy
What? Do you have any citations for this change?
Of course I do stimpy:

Court séjour en France

Si vous venez en France pour un court séjour (pour des vacances par exemple), vous pouvez conduire avec votre permis. Il doit être valide et être rédigé en français ou accompagné de sa traduction ou d'un permis international.
Note the date of this latest change is April of this year.

In the case of the US they even have reciprocal agreements with many, but not all, US states.
The reciprocal agreements are for the exchange of permits for those living in France and who are required to obtain French driver licenses before the completion of their first year of residence. The agreements do not apply to tourists who are only visiting France.

It is my opinion that these recent changes have more to do with a global EU requirement than a requirement specific to France but the French have now incorporated the translation requirement into their own rules.

Exactly how diligent enforcement will be is another matter.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the link, but give it a closer read. It doesn't say you have to have an IDP or an official translation if you are here on vacation. It just says translation or written in French, or an IDP. Or a license that is already in French. And as the Canadian drivers license is already bilingual then the OP is fine.

And for anyone they could write up their own translation, if they wanted to. Not to mention the fact that the rental companies do not enforce this nor do any police that I've heard about. Later it says for people who are stationed in France you need an official translation. But not for people who are here for shorter visits/holiday.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Plus isn't the Canadian license bi-lingual already?
Thanks for the link, but give it a closer read. It doesn't say you have to have an IDP or an official translation if you are here on vacation. It just says translation or written in French, or an IDP. Or a license that is already in French. And as the Canadian drivers license is already bilingual then the OP is fine.

And for anyone they could write up their own translation, if they wanted to. Not to mention the fact that the rental companies do not enforce this nor do any police that I've heard about. Later it says for people who are stationed in France you need an official translation. But not for people who are here for shorter visits/holiday.
Bolding mine.
My license is not bi-lingual. I even speak French but this is not my concern.

In both countries I would probably be fine but I prefer to know the legalities regarding the permit. Most of the comments I found online and any government website states that you are required to have it in Italy.

In France that's where it becomes vague. Most people have the same experience as you stimpy. They come here, rent a car and return home. The other people say the officers don't really care about that but then there's others that argue about if you don't have the permit will insurance cover you in case of an accident. The government websites say 'you should'.

After all that I've changed my plans around so I won't be needing the car this time. Next time I'll just the IDP at home and not worry about it!

Thanks for your replies!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radnub
Bolding mine.
My license is not bi-lingual. I even speak French but this is not my concern.
Oh, ok. Which province are you from? I quick google-imaged a couple of Canadian licenses and they were bi-lingual, but I didn't check every province. I thought it was a national requirement.

Last edited by stimpy; Jun 1, 2015 at 2:22 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Oh, ok. Which province are you from? I quick google-imaged a couple of Canadian licenses and they were bi-lingual, but I didn't check every province. I thought it was a national requirement.
I live in Alberta. Only Ontario and New Brunswick would be bilingual...or so I thought(!)...just did a quick search and discovered my home province (Nova Scotia) has gone bilingual as well. So there are some, just not mine.

I would like to add that I find the whole IDP thing relatively stupid for latin-based languages. If someone can't figure out basic information from my driver's license they have bigger problems.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I just returned from France. I rented a car at CDG on Sunday, May 24,2015 from Hertz. My Texas drivers license was accepted and I was not required to have an international driver's permit.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
A quick look at the French tourism website reveals this:

Which documents need to be provided?

Proof of identity (a passport is required for non-EU citizens)
A valid driver's license, keeping in mind:
Declarations of loss or theft as well as suspended/restricted licenses will not be accepted.
For non-EU citizens, an international permit or an official French translation of a national permit normally needs to be accompanied by a national permit in order to be accepted. In Canada, international driving permits are provided by the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA). For more information, click here.

Canada is only bilingual at the federal level and there's the "where numbers warrant" constitutional clause. Canadian provincial DLs were until recently, it seems in English only except for Quebec. BC is definitely English-only. Alberta and Saskatchewan appear to be the same, Quebec is probably French only while possibly New Brunswick and maybe Ontario are bilingual. Manitoba, PEI, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia appear to be bilingual now too. The 3 territories are bilingual are they still under the governance of the federal government.

So it would appear that if you have a newer DL issued by any province and territory except the 3 westernmost ones, you're o.k.

As for reciprocity (when it comes to exchanging DLs), it it a bit interesting. Alberta and Manitoba DLs (among others) are exchangeable for French ones but BC ones are not.

I can't remember if the Citröen rep at MRS asked me for an IDP when I picked up the repurchase can 1 1/2 years ago. Didn't have use for it otherwise but I had it just in case.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I thought it was a national requirement.
You thought wrong. Bilingualism isn't mandatory for provinces.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
A quick look at the French tourism website reveals this:
Thanks, but I'll trust the official French govt site over some tourism site. The translation does NOT need to be official.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
The issue is not what is required to rent a car but rather what happens if you are stopped or, worse, arrested. Having that IDL to hand over might be useful if they are inclined to keep it.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by dia1
The issue is not what is required to rent a car but rather what happens if you are stopped or, worse, arrested. Having that IDL to hand over might be useful if they are inclined to keep it.
That's it in a nutshell. The cop investigating your fender-bender accident may not know the fine points of the law. An international driving permit translates your license details and has a powerful air of authority. I think it's well worth the US$15 cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.