Search

good quality bistros/restaurants paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TWA884
Which boulangerie? I kept looking for the flaky croissants with a slightly chewy to eat without that I remember from the seventies and eighties that were impossible to eat without leaving crumbs all over. I tried at least a half dozen "artisan" boulangeries all over Paris, none lived up to my memories.
Those aren't hard to find outside of Paris. I have 3 of them within a short walk. But even in Paris when I visit I haven't had a problem finding such places. Just look for the boulangeries that are crowded with well dressed adult patrons. Such people won't put up with industrial bread. Off the top of my head I know of one on La rue de l'Ancienne-Comédie and another on Rue de Ponthieu just off the Champs-Élysées.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
Those aren't hard to find outside of Paris. I have 3 of them within a short walk. But even in Paris when I visit I haven't had a problem finding such places. Just look for the boulangeries that are crowded with well dressed adult patrons. Such people won't put up with industrial bread. Off the top of my head I know of one on La rue de l'Ancienne-Comédie and another on Rue de Ponthieu just off the Champs-Élysées.
Don't go to far... my fav and it is in the 15th is on 18 Rue Lourmel, Boulangreie Alcacienne...even kiddo says their croissant is the best. And I live in the 7th...
Old Dec 24, 2016, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by stimpy
The best croissant that I had on this trip was at Boulangerie Bechu in the 16ème on my last day in Paris before flying home; I intended to try La Petite Marquise that day, however, when I got there, I found out that they are closed on Sundays. Earlier in my stay in Paris, I tried Boulangerie Lemarie on Rue Mouffetard, Eric Kayser on Avenue des Ternes, Gontran Cherrier in Montmartre and a few boulangeries where the croissants were so mediocre that I didn't bother remembering their names.

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Don't go to far... my fav and it is in the 15th is on 18 Rue Lourmel, Boulangreie Alcacienne...even kiddo says their croissant is the best. And I live in the 7th...
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for my next visit in Paris.

P.S. If my memory serves correctly, the 7th and the 15th are right next to each other.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Tamino
It seems that the first time I went to Pottoka was about 3 years ago and it had been open for a while even then. Has Pottoka really only been open for 2 years?

Robert et Louise is OK for steaks. I think that there might be better places, I should suggest:
Passed by on Saturday and they have been open for 5 years. Time sure does fly.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:15 am

recommendation for anniversary dinner

hello

wanted to get your thoughts on a good place to go in Paris in late February for an anniversary dinner.

we are looking for a bistrot/brasserie, with the following requirements:

- no fixed menu (so Frenchie would be out, for example, as there is no choice);
- not overly touristy;
- anywhere in town;
- not too quiet, but doesn't have to be trendy;
- no molecular cuisine or foams!;
- budget not an issue as it is a special night.

previously we have been to, and enjoyed, allard (which ducasse has now taken over i believe).

possible choices include returning to allard, or benoit, les papilles, bistrot paul bert, aux lyonnais.

would you recommend any of the above...or any others?

i've also been recommended chez l'ami louis also, but think this seems to survive on its' hype (but am happy to be proven wrong!).

many thanks for any and all recommendations.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by twentyfourseven
hello

wanted to get your thoughts on a good place to go in Paris in late February for an anniversary dinner.

- not overly touristy;
- anywhere in town;

previously we have been to, and enjoyed, allard (which ducasse has now taken over i believe).

possible choices include returning to allard, or benoit, les papilles, bistrot paul bert, aux lyonnais.

i've also been recommended chez l'ami louis also, but think this seems to survive on its' hype (but am happy to be proven wrong!).

Check out the reviews of L'Ami Louis, for example on Trip Advisor. Not good.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I certainly would not attempt to prove you wrong. Chez l´Ami Louis is an expense account restaurant where one goes to be seen. Chicken cooked in goose fat and served with French fries is the big draw. It´s OK but not worth what one pays.

Up until my visit last week I would have recommended Josephine Chez Dumonet but it can be hit or miss and it can be a very expensive miss.

My recommendations would be these, particularly for the food more than the bistrot atmosphere:

Philou

l´Assiette

Bistrot Paul Bert
18 rue Paul Bert, 75011

Le Griffonnier
8 rue des Saussales, 75008

Chez Michel
10 rue de Belzunce, 75010
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:38 am

thanks both!

Paul Bert keeps coming up as a recommendation, so might go with that.

Have also heard good things about Chez L'Ami Jean (not Louis) and Papilles. Do you have any experiences with those?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks both!

Paul Bert keeps coming up as a recommendation, so might go with that.

Have also heard good things about Chez L'Ami Jean (not Louis) and Papilles. Do you have any experiences with those?
I have never had a good meal at Paul Bert, never. Cute and nice place, but good food... have to say no.

Chez L'Ami Jean on Rue Malar is a good recommendation.

Most of the places that I'd like to recommend have a fixed menu.

Try http://www.restaurant-itineraires.fr, maybe you could email or call them about the menu. A great experience.

The owners of Itineraires sold and I haven't been to the new one.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Aug 5, 2018 at 8:32 am
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: *G
hello

- not overly touristy;
- anywhere in town;

this probably fits the bill

http://www.yannick-alleno.com/fr/res...ant-paris.html
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
I do like the food there, as a matter of fact I hosted a BA Do there. The one by the Bourse.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:16 am

Hi - I will be in Paris solo attending opera performances. I will be staying by the Gare du Nord.

The first performance is on a Saturday night at the Opera Bastille, ending at 11:30p. I need to find a place to eat dinner after.

The second performance is on Sunday afternoon at the Opera Garnier, starting at 2:30p. I need to find a place to eat lunch before.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received. Preference would be cheap and good vs. fancy. I enjoy French cuisine but also like N. African, Lebanese, Vietnamese, Chinese & burgers etc.

My current thought is to go to the Marais on Sunday and grab a sandwich at L'Falafel du Als (or something similar) before the show. Still bereft of ideas for the Saturday night.

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:37 pm

Weekend Paris restaurants

Just about ready to start a whole new thread when I discovered this gem.
Thanks to all who have previously posted.
Wife and I will be staying near the train station in Montparness [need to be at the station for a very early departure] and thought we might be in restaurant
"no mans land" but were very surprised by the suggestions -- especially the ones open on weekends.
JJ
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:04 am

Bumping this up. Great thread , thank you all for insights. We are there is Sept, as well as Reims, Alsace and Burgundy. If anyone has a recent suggestions, let them fly! Love all foods and price ranges. TIA.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Le Cosi, rue Cujas in the 5th. I've just returned from a truly memorable Corsican meal there and would go back in a heartbeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.