Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Entering France using US or Canada passport. Is there a real difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

The reason I'm asking is that the French government website lists
Canada and the USA under two different categories for the purpose
of visa-free entry:

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/com...lding-ordinary

- nationals of the following countries, whatever the reason for their stay: Albania *, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina *, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mauritius, Monaco, Nicaragua , New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Holy See, Seychelles, Taiwan (passport bearing identity card number), Uruguay, Montenegro*, FYROM* and Serbia* ;
*bearers of biometric passports only

- nationals of the following countries: Australia, Brazil, USA, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea Venezuela. If you are gainfully employed, the exemption only applies if you can produce a work permit ;
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Interesting.

In my experience of entering France multiple times with a US passport, I never had to do anything more than present my passport at immigration control. Not once did I have to fill out a landing card or asked any questions.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Interesting.

In my experience of entering France multiple times with a US passport, I never had to do anything more than present my passport at immigration control. Not once did I have to fill out a landing card or asked any questions.

I was just curious as to why the US is placed in a different group than Canada.
There must be a reason why the French government did that, right?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by A_Reed
I agree with you. The last sentence is incomprehensible:
If you are gainfully employed, the exemption only applies if you can produce a work permit ;
Contrast that with:
nationals of the following countries, whatever the reason for their stay:
Is it directed at those who come to France for business purposes?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TWA884
Interesting.

This has gone back and forth a bit, but it used to be the norm that US citizens would be given a French landing card and have to submit it at CDG or Orly when entering France with just a US passport; however, it ended some time ago --even as it took place for a number of years in the 2000s too. I found it sort of amusing as often they wouldn't even look at it; sometimes they wouldn't even match it with my US passport, if they even opened my US passport. I'm sure someone submitted Mikhael Maus
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:40 am

It's poorly translated. Although the French wording is not much better, it does more clearly imply that it's a question of those coming to France to work, not just anyone who is gainfully employed.

"les ressortissants des pays suivants : Australie, Brésil, Corée du Sud, Etats Unis, Japon, Mexique, Singapour, Venezuela. En cas d’activité rémunérée, la dispense ne s’applique que si l’intéressé peut présenter une autorisation de travail) ;"
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by A_Reed
Perhaps because France and the Québécois-related relationship resulted in a drive for (and delivery of) a bilateral reciprocal arrangement that is more "liberal" than the one France has with the US?

Arrangements for working holiday and other cultural exchange visas/visa waivers of sorts for youth and reciprocity thereof came to mind as something that has placed the U.S. and Canada in different positions before when it comes to international travel.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Perhaps because France and the Québécois-related relationship resulted in a drive for (and delivery of) a bilateral reciprocal arrangement that is more "liberal" than the one France has with the US?

Arrangements for working holiday and other cultural exchange visas/visa waivers of sorts for youth and reciprocity thereof came to mind as something that has placed the U.S. and Canada in different positions before when it comes to international travel.
Not necessarily the Québécois related relationship.
There is an Accord France-Canada for the "youth": 18-35 with specific visa designations . In addition, any Canadian can work in France <90 days as long as a permit is requested and delivered before departing for France.
I know of a particular CEO of a Canadian company who sent a couple of "painters" to his Provence house one summer. Why ? I can't say.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dodo
Not necessarily the Québécois related relationship.
There is an Accord France-Canada for the "youth": 18-35 with specific visa designations . In addition, any Canadian can work in France <90 days as long as a permit is requested and delivered before departing for France.
I know of a particular CEO of a Canadian company who sent a couple of "painters" to his Provence house one summer. Why ? I can't say.
Thanks. That is the kind of thing about which I was thinking.

The Québécois relationship has been a factor in France and Canada seeking ties with one another that one or both probably wouldn't have pursued if not for the historical Francophone cultural connection -- even as such travel and work allowances wouldn't be restricted to just a subset of those citizens of Canada with Québécois heritage/affiliation. Does Canada offer some kind of reciprocity of this sort with France for French youth?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. That is the kind of thing about which I was thinking.

The Québécois relationship has been a factor in France and Canada seeking ties with one another that one or both probably wouldn't have pursued if not for the historical Francophone cultural connection -- even as such travel and work allowances wouldn't be restricted to just a subset of those citizens of Canada with Québécois heritage/affiliation. Does Canada offer some kind of reciprocity of this sort with France for French youth?
Yes.
However, there is greater contingent in Québec as compared to the other provinces (the English language can be a concern for some though the majority does have some proficiency of the language). Some manage to extend their 90 days by getting hired as contractors on what they call a CDD - easy peasy for some companies which are located in both countries, especially the gaming industry.

These days we have more and more students coming to Québec for university ( because of the Francophonie, their tuition fees are similar to a Quebecer) and they have managed to overtake the HEC at U of M and some faculties at McGill and Concordia. The "poor" students from the other provinces are paying more than the French and there have been some noises about that .

Now the new Premier has told Hollande that QC is going to raise the fees for some French students if there is no reciprocity from Les Grandes Ecoles in France. Monsieur was not too happy when he heard that on his last visit
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Yes.
However, there is greater contingent in Québec as compared to the other provinces (the English language can be a concern for some though the majority does have some proficiency of the language). Some manage to extend their 90 days by getting hired as contractors on what they call a CDD - easy peasy for some companies which are located in both countries, especially the gaming industry.

These days we have more and more students coming to Québec for university ( because of the Francophonie, their tuition fees are similar to a Quebecer) and they have managed to overtake the HEC at U of M and some faculties at McGill and Concordia. The "poor" students from the other provinces are paying more than the French and there have been some noises about that .

Now the new Premier has told Hollande that QC is going to raise the fees for some French students if there is no reciprocity from Les Grandes Ecoles in France. Monsieur was not too happy when he heard that on his last visit
How many Québécois can get admission into one of the Grandes Ecoles in France? Hollande can pull a Delta Air Lines management game and promise something but make it so rarely available that it almost never delivers as marketed.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many Québécois can get admission into one of the Grandes Ecoles in France?
Who are you insulting here ?
Would have loved to do part of the graduate studies at Ecole Polytechnique
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:19 am
Suspended

Who are you insulting here ?
Would have loved to do part of the graduate studies at Ecole Polytechnique
We had a Sciences Po relationship. Yet look at the state of affairs.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We had a Sciences Po relationship. Yet look at the state of affairs.
Yeah , DSK was a student and also teaching at Sci Po
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:08 am
Suspended

Yeah , DSK was a student and also teaching at Sci Po
Hollande and the affairs of the other enarques.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.