Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page > Mille-feuille in Paris

Mille-feuille in Paris

Old Aug 16, 14, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Mille-feuille in Paris

My favo(u)rite pastry in my favo(u)rite pastry shop is no more. The longtime Bonbonnière de Buci is long gone, and I haven't been to Paris in years.

The mille-feuille was just incredible, and is no more. Any recommendations for a "OMG, this mille-feuille is one of the best things I've ever eaten" experiences are welcome. The Bonbonnière de Buci is the only place I've ever had such an experience, and more than once!
Old Aug 17, 14, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
My favo(u)rite pastry in my favo(u)rite pastry shop is no more. The longtime Bonbonnière de Buci is long gone, and I haven't been to Paris in years.

The mille-feuille was just incredible, and is no more. Any recommendations for a "OMG, this mille-feuille is one of the best things I've ever eaten" experiences are welcome. The Bonbonnière de Buci is the only place I've ever had such an experience, and more than once!
Googling "meilleures millefeuille Paris" returned this article from l'Express. The dedicated author tasted around forty cakes in and around Paris over a year and a half, so I'd certainly give some weight to his conclusions. The article lists his seven favorites. There's evidently quite a lot of variety, so I'd say you should probably try them all. Please let us know what you think of them!
Old Aug 18, 14, 11:52 am

I buy mine at Carrefour. One entire mille feuille is 8.15 Euros.
Old Aug 18, 14, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Found this over on TripAdvisor: La Chocolaterie de Jacques Genin

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...de_France.html
Old Aug 18, 14, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by gerardandrew007 View Post
I buy mine at Carrefour. One entire mille feuille is 8.15 Euros.
I have a hunch the author of the L'Express piece would include that among the tasteless, flavorless low-cost ones he mentions in his conclusion:
Ensuite, rien ne vous empêche non plus d’acheter à bas coût un mille-feuille sans goût, ni saveur…
But don't you think a blind taste test would be worthwhile?
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:25 pm
iff

Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
Googling "meilleures millefeuille Paris" returned this article from l'Express. The dedicated author tasted around forty cakes in and around Paris over a year and a half, so I'd certainly give some weight to his conclusions. The article lists his seven favorites. There's evidently quite a lot of variety, so I'd say you should probably try them all. Please let us know what you think of them!
Trying them all would certainly give some weight to most people's, er, conclusions. Nothing like a bit of hands-on taste-testing, though, and this looks like a good place to start--keeping in mind that sometimes the big names aren't always the best, so if you see one elsewhere that looks interesting, give it a try. And please be sure to report back, as we will be happy to hear the results of your research!
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
RE:millefeuille

I can't remember the name of the patisserie, but there's a tiny jewel-box of a Russian bakery in a ground-floor corner of Printemps. The counter only seats 6-8 people. Order the milefeuille a la vanille(ask/insist, if there aren't any evident in the case). The taste is not, strictly speaking, classically French, since the baker uses some fermented/and or thickened milk products unfamiliar to the French repertoire in his versions of some traditional cakes. I was IMPRESSED, and I spend time in bakeries.

Never mind. I looked it up. http://www.cafe-pouchkine.fr/

Last edited by willie--wonka; Aug 18, 14 at 2:34 pm Reason: addition
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of these look too "precious." In fact, only one looks like something I'd want to try as a replacement product. But thanks for the link!
Old Aug 18, 14, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Some of these look too "precious." In fact, only one looks like something I'd want to try as a replacement product. But thanks for the link!
A little more Googling took me here, where I'm told the creator of the millefeuilles you remember so fondly, Pierre Marandon, had a sojourn at Boulanger de Monge before quitting Paris to open a restaurant, with his wife, in Senegal. Perhaps Boulanger de Monge retained some of his millefeuille magic. Judging from their website, they're quite proud of their millefeuilles. It's worth a shot!
Old Aug 18, 14, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A little more Googling took me here, where I'm told the creator of the millefeuilles you remember so fondly, Pierre Marandon, had a sojourn at Boulanger de Monge before quitting Paris to open a restaurant, with his wife, in Senegal. Perhaps Boulanger de Monge retained some of his millefeuille magic. Judging from their website, they're quite proud of their millefeuilles. It's worth a shot!
That looks just about right for a try!
Old Aug 18, 14, 7:32 pm

I have a hunch the author of the L'Express piece would include that among the tasteless, flavorless low-cost ones he mentions in his conclusion:
Ensuite, rien ne vous empêche non plus d’acheter à bas coût un mille-feuille sans goût, ni saveur…
But don't you think a blind taste test would be worthwhile?
It's actually pretty darn good. I was surprised at how much filling they put in between. You would think they would skimp out on the filling being that it's a cake sold in the grocery, but they don't. Mind you this is the Carrefour near me. I can't speak for all the Mille-feuilles sold in the other Carrefour locations.
Old Aug 18, 14, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by gerardandrew007 View Post
It's actually pretty darn good. I was surprised at how much filling they put in between. You would think they would skimp out on the filling being that it's a cake sold in the grocery, but they don't. Mind you this is the Carrefour near me. I can't speak for all the Mille-feuilles sold in the other Carrefour locations.
I dunno. If it's this stuff , it's got a lot more trans fats than I hope you'd find in the artisanal version. Might be tasty though!
Old Aug 19, 14, 4:11 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Appreciate this info - mille-feuilles and religieuses are among my favourite pastries...

My only recommendation in the area is probably rather out of the way for most, but the slightly moody Romaric in Nanterre does a very tasty one. (As did my old local in Amiens, but that's getting silly...)
Old Aug 30, 14, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA lowly lifetime Gold; UAMM; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Gold; Hyatt Discov (thank you credit cards)
Try the one at Cafe de la Paix at the Intercontinental Hotel Paris.
Pricey but the views from the outdoors cafe are spectacular.
Old Aug 30, 14, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
This thread is bringing back great memories. In the late 60's I was studying in France and fell in love with the mille-feuilles. We're headed over to Paris next month and I'm going to try a few of these. OMG, can't wait. Merci, Eastbay1K.

Search this Thread