FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Paris Metro/RER Tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1592423-paris-metro-rer-tickets.html)

AdamUK Jul 8, 2014 4:35 am

Paris Metro/RER Tickets

Mrs AdamUK & I are off to Paris on Eurostar this weekend. I am arriving at Gare du Nord, but staying at Laplace (zone 2).

I'm reading conflicting info about the carnet of tickets - some say it's zone 1 only, and some say 1 & 2 (I would be using RER from GdN to Laplace), but then Metro within Paris travelling around.

If they're not valid for Laplace, then I see the Ticket Mobilis do a zone 1-2 for €6.80 a day. Are these valid for 00:00-23:59 or is it 24 hours from purchase/use?

Thanks.

Yahillwe Jul 8, 2014 6:18 am

I don't know where LaPlace is, but zone 2 should be ok using a metro ticket. If you are taking the RER you need the ticket to get out of the station.

But you should always keep your ticket with you at all times in case you get stopped by the metro police.

Here is a site that might help you:

http://www.ratp.fr

iff Jul 8, 2014 8:03 am

I think the RATP site is pretty clear and would be considered an official source of information:

The t+ ticket allows you to travel on:
- metro lines
- RER lines (RATP and SNCF) within Paris (zone 1)
- Ile-de-France bus lines (RATP and OPTILE), except Orlybus and Roissybus (see the specific conditions below for the Noctilien network and lines with special fares: 299, 350 and 351)
- tramway lines (RATP and SNCF)
- the Montmartre funicular
http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/r_61635/ticket-t/

I'm guessing that for any trip where you can calculate an origin-destination ticket, it's not covered by a Ticket T+. Standard fare from Gare du Nord to Laplace is 2.65 € one way.
http://www.ratp.fr/tarifs/

The Mobilis is valid from 0h to 24h on the day of its use.

future elite Jul 8, 2014 8:04 am

The T+ tickets work for all metro stops(Zones 1 + 2) but only Zone 1 for RER. I've been to one Zone 2 RER stop that let you have a free exit, but that may be an exception and not the norm. The T+ wouldn't work for entry to go into the station.

You can buy a Carnet for your needs: 10 tickets for La Place (station specific) to Paris. You should be able to buy it at the automatic machines that sell Île de France tickets or just buy them from the ticket office.

Fornebufox Jul 8, 2014 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by future elite (Post 23161989)
The T+ tickets work for all metro stops(Zones 1 + 2) but only Zone 1 for RER. I've been to one Zone 2 RER stop that let you have a free exit, but that may be an exception and not the norm. The T+ wouldn't work for entry to go into the station.

You can buy a Carnet for your needs: 10 tickets for La Place (station specific) to Paris. You should be able to buy it at the automatic machines that sell Île de France tickets or just buy them from the ticket office.

That doesn't sound right -- T+ should be good for zones 1 & 2 regardless of Metro or RER. Did you by any chance travel to La Defense? By RER it's outside of Zone 2, even though by Metro it's within.

ETA: On the RATP Ticket T+ page I read this: "
The t+ ticket allows you to travel on:
- metro lines
- RER lines (RATP and SNCF) within Paris (zone 1)
- Ile-de-France bus lines (RATP and OPTILE), except Orlybus and Roissybus (see the specific conditions below for the Noctilien network and lines with special fares: 299, 350 and 351)
- tramway lines (RATP and SNCF)
- the Montmartre funicular"

So yes, technically you can't travel from Paris to Laplace on a T+ ticket.

One way around that, depending on your transportation needs, is a Zone 1-2 Mobilis one-day unlimited ticket for 6.80€/day, good from 0h00-24h00 on all means of transportation within zones 1 & 2.

ETA AGAIN -- I see you've already noted the Mobilis. The hop-on-hop-off flexibility is very nice.

future elite Jul 8, 2014 3:43 pm

No, this was at the Saint Ouen stop (Line C one stop past Porte de Clichy). Going out, there is a sign that says it is a free exit, but there is a sign at the gates to go down to the tracks that says that the T+ doesn't work there. The Zone 2 not working on the RER with a T+ is also supported by what iff posted above.

AdamUK Jul 9, 2014 3:14 am

Thanks all for the replies, will be opting for the Mobilis unlimited ticket.

Nico40 Jul 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by future elite (Post 23161989)
The T+ tickets work for all metro stops(Zones 1 + 2) but only Zone 1 for RER. I've been to one Zone 2 RER stop that let you have a free exit, but that may be an exception and not the norm.

Indeed, there is the well-known case of La Défense : it's in zone 2 and you can go via either Metro line 1 or RER A. A T+ ticket shall be valid only from travelling to there on line 1 and you would be blocked at the turnstile located at the RER exit.

dlombard May 14, 2017 10:52 am

I realize this thread is pretty old but I wanted to contribute some updates for anyone looking to try to decipher the labyrinth of transit fare options for public transportation in Paris.

The T+ Ticket option was less than appealing to me because I didn't like the idea of a finite supply of tickets in a book to have to manage. Buying a whole new book of tickets because I came up one short, maybe because of taking extra trips due to getting lost, did not sound appealing to me. I'm honestly quite surprised they don't have something like the TAP passes here in Los Angeles which use RFID-chipped plastic cards for contactless fare validation. It works on any of the buses and trains regardless of how far you're going.

I was looking for something like this and while Paris doesn't have it, they have something that comes close. I took a look at the Mobilis (http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21148/mobilis/) ticket and it works. You can get one that works all day and there's no silly picture affixing involved; just write your name and the date you started using it down in ink and I guess you show it to officials that ask to see it so you can board buses and trains.

It works on all modes of transport from Paris, Metro, RER Bus, Tram and Train with the exception of Filéo and the connections to the airports (Orlyval, Orlybus, Roissybus, Orly and Roissy by RER ). Access by lines 183 and 285 to Orly airport and lines 350 and 351 to Roissy airport is possible (for the areas concerned). The super annoying thing is that it does not facilitate travel to CDG. And you still have the super annoying zone pricing. For 1-2 zones, they're an affordable 7,30€ but for up to 4 or 5 zones, you're approaching 12€ per day. And your only option is to get off at a station inside the last zone your ride covers and then get on another train or bus leaving that zone, which is obviously inconvenient and error-prone (somehow you need know what zone you're in to get that right). So obviously, you should buy the Mobilis that covers as many zones as you think you will need, naturally this limits impromptu options. We're planning on knowing at least a day in advance where we will be and when we will be there so there are no surprises, and we aren't paying 10€ more than we need just so we aren't afraid our Mobilis doesn't cover enough "zones."

The nice thing is unlike the finite T+ Tickets or the minimum one-week Navigo contactless cards, the Mobilis option allows you to get all-day travel on a per-day basis, so if you're only in Paris for 2 or 3 days while visiting other cities in Europe, you don't have another 4 days of paid-for travel that you won't be using.

ajGoes May 14, 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by dlombard (Post 28310249)
The T+ Ticket option was less than appealing to me because I didn't like the idea of a finite supply of tickets in a book to have to manage. Buying a whole new book of tickets because I came up one short, maybe because of taking extra trips due to getting lost, did not sound appealing to me.

I've always found the carnets ("T+ tickets") extremely simple. €14.50 for ten (there's no "book"; you just get ten tickets). If you run out at the end of your trip, you can always buy single tickets for €1.90. Hard to beat that for simplicity.

Tamino May 14, 2017 12:09 pm

In reference to the ticket T+, you can purchase just one ticket if you like, cost is 1.90€. There is no requirement to purchase 10 at once through the cost per unit is far less - 14.50€ (or 1.45€ each).

I am not sure I agree with your assessment of the Mobilis. A zone 1-5 Mobilis pass costs 17.30€. You can purchase a weekly, zone 1-5 Navigo fare for 22.15€. The zone 1-2 Mobilis is indeed 7.30€ and if you purchased three of them, the cost of 21.90€ would not be significantly different than the cost of one weeks travel using a Navigo fare. The additional cost of 4 days paid-for travel would be pennies and there is no comparison in the zone coverage each offers.

For 2 or more days travel, the Navigo is almost always a much better deal.

Admittedly one must purchase a 5€, RFID-chipped plastic card to use the Navigo fare (which is limited from any Monday to the following Sunday) but for most visitors, the Navigo is hands down the best travel deal available anywhere.

MSPeconomist May 14, 2017 12:16 pm

I always purchase carnets for travel within Paris and individual tickets for CDG and any trips outside of zone 1.

Tamino May 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Many people use the word carnet in reference to the ticket T+ but a carnet is not a ticket. A carnet is a group of any 10 like tickets which are sold at a discount. A carnet could be a group of 10 tickets T+, but a carnet could also be a group of 10 CDG to Paris tickets.

I make the distinction because someone using the English menu at the ticket kiosks will never see the word carnet displayed anywhere. What he will see is the word booklet which is the English translation for carnet.

In other words, a booklet of tickets T+ will cost 14.50€ or a booklet of tickets from CDG to Paris will cost 80€.

MSPeconomist May 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tamino (Post 28310593)
Many people use the word carnet in reference to the ticket T+ but a carnet is not a ticket. A carnet is a group of any 10 like tickets which are sold at a discount. A carnet could be a group of 10 tickets T+, but a carnet could also be a group of 10 CDG to Paris tickets.

I make the distinction because someone using the English menu at the ticket kiosks will never see the word carnet displayed anywhere. What he will see is the word booklet which is the English translation for carnet.

In other words, a booklet of tickets T+ will cost 14.50€ or a booklet of tickets from CDG to Paris will cost 80€.

I have always, including in my post immediately above this one of yours, used the word carnet to mean ten Paris subway tickets purchased together at the same time, for a lower total price than what it would have cost to purchase those ten tickets individually.