Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Land CDG 8:35 - can i make the TGV train at 10:16???

Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat

reposting from the Europe forum

Hi all,

Get in on an Air France flight from NYC, landing at 8:35 am this coming Friday. There's a 10:16 TGV train to Poitiers leaving from the airport station. If I miss it the next one is over 4 hours later. How far from the AF terminal to the TGV station at the airport? Can I make this train? Is it necessary to buy a ticket in advance?

My other option is go to Montparnasse and take a 12:12 or 12:46 which is the safe bet, I'd take either a taxi or the AF shuttle.

thanks for your input.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
You should be OK provided the flight is not late. Obviously it would make a difference if you're not collecting luggage and if you already have a ticket for the train in advance but you should still be OK.

AF007 should normally arrive at T2E at CDG. As stated on the AF website (http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common...ndance_cdg.htm) the TGV station can easily be reached on foot.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC, BA
CDG-TGV connection

You should be fine, as long as the plane is on time. I've allowed myself 90 minutes for that connection, and nearly got myself left behind when plane delays left me only 45 minutes. I made it through customs and baggage claim, trekked the length of the airport, and got to the train pier with three minutes to spare....but you need to do your homework.... do some checking around on various travel sites, study the maps of the airport before you go, know what signs you're looking for, and know what colour ticket machine to go straight to when you get to the train station (not all of them dispense TGV tickets purchased online). Also (very oddly), the doors to the train "piers" at the CDG train station, are not numbered sequentially, so make sure you're going to the correct pier. If you land on time, you won't need to race. It's very convenient.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

This route doesnt have the greatest ontime record, at least on flight stats.

Is it really necessary to buy tickets in advanced? For either the CDG train or the Montparnasse?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by nerdkiller
This route doesnt have the greatest ontime record, at least on flight stats.

Is it really necessary to buy tickets in advanced? For either the CDG train or the Montparnasse?
It can easily save you at least 10 mins. It's up to you.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
The lines at the SNCF ticket counters can be fairly long in the AM as flights land at CDG. If the OP purchased a refundable rail ticket, he could then exchange it for a new train if the arriving flight is too late to make the TGV.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Would a refundable ticket from CDG be usable at Montparnasse? The next CDG train is at 16:30 while there are numerous train from Montparnasse in the meantime.

Also, is it really necessary to reserve ticket in advance for this Friday? We're headed to a friends wedding near Poitiers and for some reason the bride really thinks it's necessary to book.

Last edited by nerdkiller; Aug 12, 2013 at 10:36 am
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Also, is it really necessary to reserve ticket in advance for this Friday? We're headed to a friends wedding near Poitiers and for some reason the bride really thinks it's necessary to book.
TGVs out of Montparnasse tend to be sold out on Friday afternoons. However, as this Thursday is a holiday in France, most people might leave on Wednesday instead of Friday.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Oy Vey. I'm guess I'll play it safe and buy the 12:46 from Montparnasse and if we get in early see if I can parlay that into the CDG train. Doubtful, but will try.

Last edited by nerdkiller; Aug 12, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Would a refundable ticket from CDG be usable at Montparnasse? The next CDG train is at 16:30 while there are numerous train from Montparnasse in the meantime.
Absolutely! Any refundable ticket could be exchanged for a full refund (as its name suggests) or credit to any new ticket purchased. Of course, if you have the card with the chip in it (read: non-US) you can buy from any kiosk in the station and not wait in line.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Just had a post on this topic here: Taking a train from Paris Airport CDG-Charles de Gaulle

In short, our recommendation: If you’re flexible on time, book the cheapest ticket possible (will have the least flexible terms) and allow plenty of time for your transfer. If you don’t want to waste time waiting around the airport, and are ok paying a good bit more, plan to buy your ticket once you land and make it to the TGV station for the next available train.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.