Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nice to Genoa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Nice to Genoa

Does anyone know how long it takes to get to Genoa by train from Nice/Cannes? I have 3 days in the south of France - thinking about spending a day in Cannes .. going to Genoa, and then stopping by Monaco on the way back to Nice.

I'm looking on voyages-sncf - apparently there are plenty of trains, example routing:

TER 86043
15h11 CANNES GARE
16h43 VINTIMILLE

TRAIN 681
16h58 VENTIMIGLIA GARE
19h06 GENOVA PIAZZA PRINCIPE

But it prints duration 99h55. Is this perhaps a bug? Or do the trains from ventimglia only run on certain days?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Bug. There's quite a few IC and RE trains from Ventimiglia to Genoa (at least every 2 hours) and SNCF trains head there every 30 minutes

Suggest you look at trenitalia for the Ventimiglia-Genoa section.

IIRC, 1 hr for Nice-Ventimiglia an around 2 hrs from there to Genoa.

Another option if you wish to avoid the change is direct SNCF bus (IDBus) but only once daily.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Bug. There's quite a few IC and RE trains from Ventimiglia to Genoa (at least every 2 hours) and SNCF trains head there every 30 minutes

Suggest you look at trenitalia for the Ventimiglia-Genoa section.

IIRC, 1 hr for Nice-Ventimiglia an around 2 hrs from there to Genoa.

Another option if you wish to avoid the change is direct SNCF bus (IDBus) but only once daily.
Ah thanks! Didn't want to get stuck in Ventimiglia. I would take the bus, but the departure hour is not that great, and it only departs from the airport.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Yes, 4+ hours sounds about right for the train time.

Why Genoa?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by menton1
Yes, 4+ hours sounds about right for the train time.

Why Genoa?
Couldn't figure out what to do with 4 days in nice alone, so figured I might as well stop by Italy...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Originally Posted by no2chem
Couldn't figure out what to do with 4 days in nice alone, so figured I might as well stop by Italy...
It's farther than Genoa, but Cinque Terre is wonderful as well. Too rushed if you only have 4 days though. Also, there's more to the French Riviera than only Nice. We rented a car from Nice and also visited the Gorges du Verdon, Peillon, and Menton on the way back from Italy.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:19 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Originally Posted by no2chem
Ah thanks! Didn't want to get stuck in Ventimiglia. I would take the bus, but the departure hour is not that great, and it only departs from the airport.
Ventimiglia isn't that bad. Once you get off the train station and venture down towards the seafront it's a quite agreeable little town and worth spending a couple of hours in. I'd say i would prefer it over the big-city crazyness in Genoa...
But as the other posters said, you might want to consider Cinque Terre as well or some other place along the coast, there are plenty of them.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i did blq-nce on a train once. Ventimiglia required down about 30-40 steps to get under the train track, and back up. it was part of a 2 week business trip with samples, so we had 4 heavy suitcases. there was nothing to see from the train. the train from ventimiglia to nice was more like a trolly than a train.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M
Ventimiglia isn't that bad. Once you get off the train station and venture down towards the seafront it's a quite agreeable little town and worth spending a couple of hours in.
I actually spend three weeks there each summer for 10 years already. Why? Compared to everything around, like Bordighera, Diano Marina, Taggia, Alassio, it's quiet and its beaches are reasonably not very busy even during weekends in July (and you won't find any free spot in, let's say, Diano). And it's considerably cheaper than Menton across the border. Just avoid coming there on Friday - it'll be a nightmare.
the train from ventimiglia to nice was more like a trolly than a train.
Why? A nice air conditioned train and the line runs along the coastline, with quite a lot beautiful vistas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.