FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Dinner recommendations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1421506-dinner-recommendations.html)

megan Dec 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Paris dinner recommendations

A friend (who isn't internet savvy) has asked me for some advice on dinner in Paris. I haven't been there in many years so my advice would be very dated

He and his wife are going for an anniversary and he would like to surprise her with a nice dinner. They are not "foodies", and would both prefer a restaurant with an a la carte option. His price range is ~$250, and they are staying near Ile de la Cite on the right bank.

Thanks in advance!
~megan

number_6 Dec 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Le Train Bleu at Gare Lyon http://www.le-train-bleu.com/uk/index.php
Decor is impressive and will be a lasting memory even if they don't care about the food, and should be in their price range (barely -- at <EUR 100 per person that is tight for a nice anniversary dinner).

nicolas75 Dec 28, 2012 4:14 am

Originally Posted by megan (Post 19929923)
His price range is ~$250

Per capita or in total?

nicolas75 Dec 28, 2012 4:55 am

Le Sergent recruteur, 41, rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile
Around 100/150 euros.
A brilliant cuisine in an elegant mix of Vieux Paris and contemporary design by Jaime Hayon.

15 minutes walk from Ile de la Cité: L'Ateler de Joël Robuchon.
Simply one of Paris best restaurants, in an elegant still laid back atmosphere.
Pretty expensive (Eur 150+)

nicolas75 Dec 28, 2012 4:56 am

More tips:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...need-know.html

Mountain Trader Dec 29, 2012 4:47 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 19932111)
Le Sergent recruteur, 41, rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile
Around 100/150 euros.
A brilliant cuisine in an elegant mix of Vieux Paris and contemporary design by Jaime Hayon.

15 minutes walk from Ile de la Cité: L'Ateler de Joël Robuchon.
Simply one of Paris best restaurants, in an elegant still laid back atmosphere.
Pretty expensive (Eur 150+)

Does Robuchon limit reservations to the first seating which is very early for Paris? It used to be that way but I haven't kept up.

nicolas75 Dec 29, 2012 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 19937665)
Does Robuchon limit reservations to the first seating which is very early for Paris? It used to be that way but I haven't kept up.

Last time I booked (1 month ago), it was for the second seating (around 9pm if I remember well). Still, we had to wait around 15 minutes at the bar.

menton1 Dec 29, 2012 12:04 pm

There are thousands of GREAT restaurants in Paris. (It's Paris, after all!!)

Recommending a restaurant in Paris is like recommending a city to live in-- we need a lot of criteria to narrow it down-- area, budget, type of food, etc. Otherwise, the choices are endless-- and quite subjective!

Yahillwe Dec 30, 2012 2:38 am

Actually one can eat really bad in Paris.

This is why everyone has their black book.

I do love L'Atalier, but the one in the 7th, the one at the Champs isn't as good, still better that most french restaurants.

At the Ile there is Mon Vieil Ami, the chef knows his veggies.

L'auberge du 15eme.

Itineraires.

As someone said, we need more specifics.

menton1 Dec 30, 2012 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 19942049)
Actually one can eat really bad in Paris.

This is why everyone has their black book.

I do love L'Atalier, but the one in the 7th, the one at the Champs isn't as good, still better that most french restaurants.

At the Ile there is Mon Vieil Ami, the chef knows his veggies.

L'auberge du 15eme.

Itineraires.

As someone said, we need more specifics.

Sure, you can have an off meal in Paris, but you can usually get a feel for the place by the appearance and the menu, posted in the window by law. Also by who is eating there.

I've had great meals at a couple of places that are off the radar of most "black books" and most guides. They are all in the 4th.

Le Taxi Jaune
Robert & Louise
Metropolitain

Modern bistro is becoming the dominant restaurant type for Parisians. The old school Michelin star places are much more popular with tourists than Parisians. If I'm looking for an old school more formal dine, I go to Le Dome de Marais.

Yahillwe Dec 31, 2012 12:39 am

Originally Posted by menton1 (Post 19943635)
Sure, you can have an off meal in Paris, but you can usually get a feel for the place by the appearance and the menu, posted in the window by law. Also by who is eating there.

I've had great meals at a couple of places that are off the radar of most "black books" and most guides. They are all in the 4th.

Le Taxi Jaune
Robert & Louise
Metropolitain

Modern bistro is becoming the dominant restaurant type for Parisians. The old school Michelin star places are much more popular with tourists than Parisians. If I'm looking for an old school more formal dine, I go to Le Dome de Marais.

Maybe we differ in our tastes, I went the other night to a typically french resto, Cafe de Musee in the 3rd rue de Turenne, the food was un edible. Too buttery and the veggies were over cooked. All french people.

On the other hand my local place, in the 7th Cafe Constance, yes it is full of tourist, who usually have the first seating 7:30 then the locals are there around 9 ish, very good french food. Very well done. I eat there 2 -3 times a week, have never been disappointed.

megan Jan 1, 2013 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 19932030)
Per capita or in total?

Thanks everyone for the great replies! :)

He is looking to spend ~250/total (or less), including wine. a la carte is also very important to them

number_6 Jan 2, 2013 4:37 am

Originally Posted by megan (Post 19956007)
.... a la carte is also very important to them

Depending on the restaurant, a la carte can be quite a bit more expensive than the tasting or set menus. For example yesterday I had lunch at Pierre Gagnaire ordering a la carte and it cost EUR 1000 for 2 just for the food, while their tasting menu was EUR 300 pp and a special Christmas menu was EUR 155 (which is what most people were eating). Admittedly an extreme example, but illustrating that a la carte will cost more.

The "bargain" for this caliber food/restaurant is Senderens on place de la Madeleine which has a EUR 105 tasting menu for lunch which is superb and would fall just barely in their price range.

slawecki Jan 2, 2013 6:01 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 19958076)

The "bargain" for this caliber food/restaurant is Senderens on place de la Madeleine which has a EUR 105 tasting menu for lunch which is superb and would fall just barely in their price range.

that's already out of his range. 105euro is 250 us, and now he wants wine, and probably water, with bubbles, no less, and don't forget, al a cart. i'd recommend printemps employee cafeteria. inexpensive, and the greatest view in downtown paris.(food is not special)

these people should get out of paris. way out. paris is expensive. the rents are high. the prices reflect the price of rent. one can hit his price range either in the countryside, or in Lyon or Nice, or even Cannes.

Yahillwe Jan 2, 2013 10:54 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 19958076)
Depending on the restaurant, a la carte can be quite a bit more expensive than the tasting or set menus. For example yesterday I had lunch at Pierre Gagnaire ordering a la carte and it cost EUR 1000 for 2 just for the food, while their tasting menu was EUR 300 pp and a special Christmas menu was EUR 155 (which is what most people were eating). Admittedly an extreme example, but illustrating that a la carte will cost more.

Love Senderens, my go to if I can't think of anything else. And they could manage lunch for such a price. They could share the entree, each have a plate and share the desert. They even divide the food in the kitchen. Each can have a glass of wine, and they can have a carafe for water. Doable.

Actually I tried going there tonight but I think something is wrong with their tel #. Have to pass by them and let them know that.