Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

What do to with 7 hrs and 40 min in CDG

What do to with 7 hrs and 40 min in CDG

Old Nov 30, 12, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Location: Washington, DC - usually on my way to ROB, TBS, or MNL (sometimes COO, WDH, MSU, or ULN too)
Programs: United Gold, Delta Platinum
Question What do to with 7 hrs and 40 min in CDG

Hi folks,

I am flying through CDG on the 14th with a 7 hr and 40 min layover (arriving at 6, leaving around 1:30). I fly through here regularly and have found the lounge people completely unhelpful and unwilling to let me buy a space in the lounge or anything. So, assuming the lounge is not an option, my options are these:

1. Sit around the airport waiting for my flight. Usually at that hour I can get a whole couch to myself at the cafe and watch movies on my ipad/nap.

2. Get a day room (for which I'll be compensated) at the Novotel, which looks somewhat depressing, but I might actually get some sleep and shower.

3. Go into Paris. Have some breakfast. Walk around a bit.

I'm leaning toward the third option, but I don't know if it's completely crazy to attempt that for a fairly brief layover.

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 12, 2:04 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by QueenEsoterica View Post
Hi folks,

I am flying through CDG on the 14th with a 7 hr and 40 min layover (arriving at 6, leaving around 1:30). I fly through here regularly and have found the lounge people completely unhelpful and unwilling to let me buy a space in the lounge or anything. So, assuming the lounge is not an option, my options are these:

1. Sit around the airport waiting for my flight. Usually at that hour I can get a whole couch to myself at the cafe and watch movies on my ipad/nap.

2. Get a day room (for which I'll be compensated) at the Novotel, which looks somewhat depressing, but I might actually get some sleep and shower.

3. Go into Paris. Have some breakfast. Walk around a bit.

I'm leaning toward the third option, but I don't know if it's completely crazy to attempt that for a fairly brief layover.

Thanks!
If your next flight is a long one, I'd opt for the room with shower. Depressing or not, you'll probably be able to sleep for a bit. But not too long, given the nature of CDG (how long it takes to check in and clear security, but maybe you don't need to check in again, just clear security?).

As for heading into Paris, you've got an hour transit each way, you need to be back at CDG two hours prior to departure, so that leaves you maybe three hours. Could be worse! What would I do with three hours in Paris? Good question. I'd probably get off at one RER stop and make my way (walking) through neighborhoods to another stop a few hours away.

But most likely I'd opt for the room with a shower.
Old Dec 1, 12, 9:22 pm

Programs: all
Get a day room.See if you can get a day room at the sheraton. Its the best located hotel at CDG.
Old Dec 2, 12, 4:39 am
iff

Just this morning I discovered the existence of the Icare lounges at CDG Terminal 1 and Orly Sud. Curiously, the information is only on the French version of the Aéroports de Paris site.

Ls Salons Premium Icare sont accessibles à tous les passagers en possession d'une carte d'accès à bord pour un vol au départ du même terminal :
- à Paris-Charles de Gaulle terminal 1
- à Paris-Orly terminal Sud.
Pour les passagers partant de Paris-Charles de Gaulle terminal 2, renseignez vous auprès de votre compagnie aérienne.

Nos hôtesses vous accueillent et répondent à toute demande d'information.
Installez vous : larges fauteuils, canapés profonds, lumière douce, tout est prévu pour votre confort.
Boissons et buffet, sucré ou salé, sont à votre disposition.
Le wifi est en accès libre, ainsi que des PC connectés. Vous pouvez consulter la presse nationale et internationale ou regarder la TV, sans perdre de vue les écrans d'information sur les vols.
In short, the Icare premium lounges are available to all passengers with a boarding pass for a flight departing from CDG1 or Orly Sud.

The rate is 30€.

More information can be found here.
Old Dec 3, 12, 2:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC, SPG, Global Entry
I understand the urge to get as far away from CDG as possible ...but I'd choose the hotel room. A power nap and a shower and I'm a new person!
Old Dec 3, 12, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The room sounds best. Nice to be fresh for the flight.
Old Dec 3, 12, 1:54 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by SalishSea View Post
I understand the urge to get as far away from CDG as possible ...but I'd choose the hotel room. A power nap and a shower and I'm a new person!
There is an alternative; take a quick show and nap, then head back to the airport early and either people-watch (airports are amazing places for that) or, better yet, just try and help people. Airports have a constant supply of people struggling to get through doors with their luggage, or need help figuring out ground transportation, or who are confused about which line they need to get into. CDG is certainly no exception in that regard!
Old Dec 4, 12, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Location: Washington, DC - usually on my way to ROB, TBS, or MNL (sometimes COO, WDH, MSU, or ULN too)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
The room sounds best. Nice to be fresh for the flight.
I will have just spent 10 days in the very same room in Cotonou...it's amazing how the rooms at the Novotel look exactly the same right down to the furniture placement. Maybe the Sheraton would be nicer, but the Novotel is significantly cheaper than the Sheraton - 139 euros vs 239.

Anyway, this will be my 4th time doing this layover in the past 6 months, and every other time I have people-watched, and I have to say the people in the airport early in the morning are fairly boring

That said, maybe Icare lounge could be an option? Will have to look into it.

Thanks for the input!
Old Dec 12, 12, 10:38 am
Original Poster

So many votes for the hotel! Well, I'm going to skip it, methinks, and try going into the city. I may regret this or give up by the time I arrive, but as of now, it's on.

Thanks for the response!
Old Dec 12, 12, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
If your next flight is a long one, I'd opt for the room with shower. Depressing or not, you'll probably be able to sleep for a bit. But not too long, given the nature of CDG (how long it takes to check in and clear security, but maybe you don't need to check in again, just clear security?).

As for heading into Paris, you've got an hour transit each way, you need to be back at CDG two hours prior to departure, so that leaves you maybe three hours. Could be worse! What would I do with three hours in Paris? Good question. I'd probably get off at one RER stop and make my way (walking) through neighborhoods to another stop a few hours away.

But most likely I'd opt for the room with a shower.
I am not sure how you have an hour transit each way. The RER B is a half hour each way.
Old Dec 13, 12, 3:39 am
iff

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz View Post
I am not sure how you have an hour transit each way. The RER B is a half hour each way.
The RATP trip planner shows 40-45 minutes to Châtelet-Les Halles, plus you could have up to about a 12-minute wait for a train if you just missed the previous one.
Old Dec 13, 12, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by iff View Post
The RATP trip planner shows 40-45 minutes to Châtelet-Les Halles, plus you could have up to about a 12-minute wait for a train if you just missed the previous one.
I just did it last week - 30 mins inward and 25 minutes outward to Paris Nord. Wait time between trains was five minutes.

Waited for the "express".
Old Dec 13, 12, 1:16 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Musee d orsay

Did it last time! Amazing do museum n walk da hood grab a bite back to CDG n on
Old Dec 13, 12, 3:19 pm
iff

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz View Post
I just did it last week - 30 mins inward and 25 minutes outward to Paris Nord. Wait time between trains was five minutes.

Waited for the "express".
It's true that the voyage often takes a little less time than the trip planner, and Gare du Nord is closer to the airport than Châtelet and St. Michel, etc.

The "express" actually only takes about 4 minutes less than the regular train, but there tend to be fewer thieves on the express trains.
Old Dec 17, 12, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by QueenEsoterica View Post
So many votes for the hotel! Well, I'm going to skip it, methinks, and try going into the city. I may regret this or give up by the time I arrive, but as of now, it's on.
How can you ever regret being in Paris? Go for it!

Search this Thread