Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mobilis Pass - Advance Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Mobilis Pass - Advance Purchase

I travel to Paris at least a couple of times a year. Does anyone know how far in advance a Mobilis pass can be purchased? For example, can I purchase several at the same time for use during the next year or two?
Thanks in advance,
canred
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:54 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Since the CM validates with the first usage, it would seem that you could buy several and use them as needed. However, if they were to raise the rates, it is possible that they might put expiration dates on them [metro cards have a long life span, but eventually they change the color, and then then the old ones are no longer valid--but probably can be exchanged for the newer ones.]
Why the need to "hoard" them? Why not buy the next one when you use the first?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that is what I hoped. The reason for buying in advance is to avoid the lines on arrival. They are especially long after the Eurostar arrives.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:24 am
iff

Originally Posted by nrr
metro cards have a long life span, but eventually they change the color, and then then the old ones are no longer valid
No, RATP metro tickets do not expire, even when they change color.

I presume the same is true for Mobilis.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:46 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iff
No, RATP metro tickets do not expire, even when they change color.

I presume the same is true for Mobilis.
I seem to remember (5 years ago, or so) I had some metro tickets, which two years later did not work--maybe the magnetic strip lost its magnetism, sitting in my wallet for two years.

Last edited by nrr; Nov 20, 2012 at 9:55 am
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:52 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canred
Thanks, that is what I hoped. The reason for buying in advance is to avoid the lines on arrival. They are especially long after the Eurostar arrives.
You can buy CM's from the vending terminals (you have to do some turning of the wheel to get to the right spot); these may accept non-chipped cc's and/or bills, but from my recollection, all accept Euro coins.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:55 pm
iff

Originally Posted by nrr
I seem to remember (5 years ago, or so) I had some metro tickets, which two years later did not work--maybe the magnetic strip lost its magnetism, sitting in my wallet for two years.
Heh... I was going to say in my original post that about the only reason they might not work is that they've been demagnetized...

While buying tickets last week, I overheard an RATP agent reassure a gentleman that the stash old purple tickets in his wallet hadn't expired.

I've occasionally bought a Mobilis and held onto it for some time before using it, though not as long as the OP envisions. There, too, you'd have to take care to not demagnetize the card or the convenience of the advance purchase would be nullified.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by iff
Heh... I was going to say in my original post that about the only reason they might not work is that they've been demagnetized...

While buying tickets last week, I overheard an RATP agent reassure a gentleman that the stash old purple tickets in his wallet hadn't expired.
Mine get demagnetized all the time.

But seriously, the old purple tickets are still valid?? How about the older turquoise tickets? (though I would think they're probably more valuable as collector's items).
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:57 am
iff

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
But seriously, the old purple tickets are still valid?? How about the older turquoise tickets? (though I would think they're probably more valuable as collector's items).
Apparently they are still valid.

A blogger has posted a brief history of Parisien metro tickets since the year 1900. Even for people who can't read French, it's still interesting to see the images.

http://histoireduticketdemetro.blogspot.fr/

Be sure to click on the "messages plus anciens" link at the bottom of the entries to continue the progression up to current times.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by canred
If you are coming London's St Pancras station, you can buy the paris passes in Eurostar boarding area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.