Transactions in France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transactions in France

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Transactions in France

I am going to France in August. I have a Visa ATM card that reimburses ATM fees, and both a Visa and Amex card with no international transaction fees. If I end up with spare Euros at the end of the trip, I can eventually send them to my in-laws who live in a country they are useful. (Romania is not part of the Euro zone, but I think it is an accepted currency there.)

My plan is, when I get to CDG airport, to take maybe 50 euros out of an ATM (I will need 8.50 euros for the bus to the hotel) and to use my other cards for everything else. The cards do not have chips, just mag strips. I will probably need more than 50 euros for the bus round-trip and tips (at the hotel I am staying at, I will probably be tipping in cash while paying for everything else with a CC), but I can always make another ATM visit if needed.

Is this a sensible plan? Will I be able to get by almost exclusively using these two cards?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving Thread to France Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by redtop43
I am going to France in August. I have a Visa ATM card that reimburses ATM fees, and both a Visa and Amex card with no international transaction fees.
Is this a sensible plan? Will I be able to get by almost exclusively using these two cards?
Yes. ATMs are everywhere in France, and your US ATMs will work as they do at home and at a very good exchange rate. Almost all restaurants accept Visa. But I would always carry extra euros just in case you eat at the odd one that doesn't or for incidentals and unforeseen events. You can always convert extra euros back to $ when you depart.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Yes. ATMs are everywhere in France, and your US ATMs will work as they do at home and at a very good exchange rate. Almost all restaurants accept Visa. But I would always carry extra euros just in case you eat at the odd one that doesn't or for incidentals and unforeseen events. You can always convert extra euros back to $ when you depart.
+1 Also call the card companies about your trip ahead of time and learn about your maximum (ATM) daily withdrawal limit (and change it lower or higher as you wish). They have been known to block overseas usage due to "suspicious activity" if you don't inform them about the trip ahead of time.

BTW Romania will adopt the euro in 2015.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:20 am
iff

Another tip: Don't request 50 euros at the ATM but rather 40, 60, or 80... that way you'll end up with some smaller notes instead of one 50-euro note that some merchants may balk at breaking for a small purchase. Some ATMs will give you a choice in which denominations the amount requested is distributed, but most don't.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I have never had a merchant balk at taking a €50, even for a purchase of less than €2. €100 bills start becoming an issue and many place will refuse €200 or €500 bills as being too risky. However I have often had restaurants in France refuse to accept a non chip-and-pin credit card. Sometime it is even down to hardware in that they don't have a magnetic stripe reader on their POS machine any more. For this reason, it is always a good idea to carry enough cash to cover your highest likely purchase (obviously within reason).

Informing your bank and amending your withdrawl limit is most likely a good idea. However, taking out only €50 is not necessarily the way to go. Take out your daily limit the first time. This way you will always have enough reserves and will not need a second withdrawl.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:47 am

I am going to France in August. I have a Visa ATM card that reimburses ATM fees, and both a Visa and Amex card with no international transaction fees.
Which Amex card has no foreign currency exchange fees?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Which Amex card has no foreign currency exchange fees?
The regular Amex Platinum card has no FCEF but you can bet they make money in the exchange rate. The Delta Amex Reserve card does not have the no FCEF feature.

Another +1 on telling your bank/CC company about your travel in advance.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:25 am

The regular Amex Platinum card has no FCEF but you can bet they make money in the exchange rate. The Delta Amex Reserve card does not have the no FCEF feature.

Another +1 on telling your bank/CC company about your travel in advance.
That platinum card has a $450 per year fee, correct?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
That platinum card has a $450 per year fee, correct?
Correct, although only $250 net after the annual $200 airline credit.
May not be for everyone but for those that travel a lot it gets you into DL, AA and US lounges and now Priority Pass lounges.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, although only $250 net after the annual $200 airline credit.
May not be for everyone but for those that travel a lot it gets you into DL, AA and US lounges and now Priority Pass lounges.
slightly ot. can i get into dl, aa, or us lounge when with a ua or lh y ticket?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
US lounges yes. DL or AA require same day DL/AA ticket.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by bankops
I have never had a merchant balk at taking a €50, even for a purchase of less than €2.
Consider yourself lucky. I encounter issues with merchants in France not wanting to take €50 notes quite frequently. I've learned to break €50 notes at places with the capacity to accept them like Monoprix to avoid the situation at smaller merchants. I also avoid SG ATMs that are notorious for giving €50 notes.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:44 pm
Original Member

Just got back from 11 days in France. Did not encounter a single store or restaurant which balked at a 50 Euro note. Only came across one place (one of the museums) which would only take a chip credit card. Had no problems with our Visa and AMEX at any other locations.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
I fly business class and that gets me into the lounge of the carrier I am flying.

Everyone's needs are unique but I wouldn't pay much if anything to get into lounges. For example, UA's lounges at CDG are pretty basic, at least when I last visited-not much to eat, etc. A nice spiff, if free, but not worth much out of pocket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.