Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Architecturally Rich Small Streets of Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Architecturally Rich Small Streets of Paris

I've always been of the opinion that there is hardly a street in Paris that isn't a pleasure to walk and I've done the Grand Boulevards as well as stumbling on to beautiful small streets which I'm sure I could never find again.

I have a singular interest in architecture and on this trip I would like to concentrate on small out of the way streets which are not only beautiful in themselves but also good examples of the many unique Parisian architectural styles.

I'll be staying in the 16th and would like to focus on this neighborhood, at least a first, as I only a week in Paris, but I will certainly stray far afield to seek out the gems.

I would be most grateful if any one has advice or favorites they would like to share.
Old May 20, 2012, 4:26 pm

You may find this an interesting area....the Butte aux Cailles area. it's in the 13th.

Bobette
Old May 20, 2012, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i sort of think the Île de la Cité and the Île St-Louis are the oldest part of paris and a lot of the stuff is quite old and interesting.. i don't think Haussmann got to them.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
This may come in handy ( in French)
http://www.parisinconnu.com/promenades/index.htm
Old May 23, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
The 16th has plenty of hidden gems among the large 19th and 20th century apartment blocks along the avenues. Hector Guimard, designer of the iconic Art Nouveau metro entrances, launched his career on winning an award for the Castel Béranger (dubbed by wags Castel Dérangé for its exuberant ornamentation). It's on Rue Jean de la Fontaine just west of rue de Boulainvilliers, near Maison de la Radio. Down the block to the west is a little square with several more Guimard buildings, and there are more continuing west on rue Jean de la Fontaine.

There's a building on rue Claude Chahu, between rue de Passy and ave. Paul Doumer, decorated in astonishing thistle-motif terra cotta.

Off the rue du Docteur Blanche (metro Jasmin) you'll find the Fondation Corbusier, with a house you can visit, and many examples of early 20th c. modern houses in the neighborhood. There's also a Corbusier apartment you can visit, I think it's near ave. Versailles near the peripherique.

The street that runs behind (downslope, to the south) of the Maison Balzac is incredibly bucolic.

There are many village-like streets in Passy and Auteuil--Villa this, Hameau that, remnants of the neighborhoods' pre-Paris days. All too many of them, however, are behind locked gates. You could get lucky and get the chance to enter and walk around.

It's a visually rich arrondissement that repays lots of walking, prepared by some googling. Make sure you have good shoes!
Old May 24, 2012, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Fornebufox

Off the rue du Docteur Blanche (metro Jasmin) you'll find the Fondation Corbusier, with a house you can visit, and many examples of early 20th c. modern houses in the neighborhood.
Definitely worth the visit if you are interested in Le Corbusier / Mallet Stevens architecture.
Old May 24, 2012, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
You may find what you are looking for at:

http://www.parisbalades.com/Autre/listearr.htm

(in French)
Old May 25, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by b1513
You may find this an interesting area....the Butte aux Cailles area. it's in the 13th.

Bobette
Nice area, like a little village within Paris
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:07 am

I was there in April and found most of Montmartre exceptionally pretty...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
i sort of think the Île de la Cité and the Île St-Louis are the oldest part of paris and a lot of the stuff is quite old and interesting.. i don't think Haussmann got to them.
Yes, definitely agree with this, Île St-Louis is absolutely beautiful.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
The area around the Place des Vosges is wonderful as well. Not only all the houses on the Place, but the surrounding streets as well. Haussmann did not get to the Marais area, either, so the streets are narrow and untouched, and the gentrification of the area hasn't hurt either.

Take particular note of the Victor Hugo mansion.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:39 pm
In memoriam

IMHO one of the best Paris experiences is to go to the Sunday morning market on the Rue Mouffetard. Start from the Place de la Contresscarpe and walk up the hill through the market. This is one of the oldest remaining areas with some Roman ruins. Not far from the (heavily restored) Roman arena. Sunday morning is by far the best time to go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue_Mouffetard,_Paris
Old Jun 10, 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
IMHO one of the best Paris experiences is to go to the Sunday morning market on the Rue Mouffetard. Start from the Place de la Contresscarpe and walk up the hill through the market. This is one of the oldest remaining areas with some Roman ruins. Not far from the (heavily restored) Roman arena. Sunday morning is by far the best time to go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue_Mouffetard,_Paris
Actually I believe it is a downhill walk from the Place de la Contrescarpe. There are a few interesting little streets and courtyards off rue Mouffetard too. As a side note, Hemingway lived there when he was married to Hadley.

Bobette

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.