Wiki Posts
Search

France on July 14

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
France on July 14

I have booked an award ticket to CDG July 11-20. Those are the dates I had to pick because they were the lowest in miles. I am wondering if it is a terrible idea to be in Paris (or France) on Bastille Day. It is on Saturday this year so I am wondering if things will even close down on Friday, July 13. That would mean three days of places to do/see being closed for three days, wouldn't it? Surely someone on this forum has been to Paris on July 14. What are your thoughts? Should I just cancel my award ticket and choose dates that will be probably mean more miles spent? Merci!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
Nothing will close down on Friday, even if they were to celebrate the 13th. Most places should even be open the 14th, especially the shops. It's fine for a travel day, i say keep it!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Quite the opposite

14 July -La Fête Nationale - is a great day to be in Paris! Not sure what you have heard that would lead you to be anxious, but things do not shut down. There is a fireworks display at Eiffel Tower / Trocadero that evening that is a blast - pack a picnic and bring a blanket to sit on the Champs de Mars with thousands of others.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
tens of thousands, based on our experience. we found Tuillerie a much better viewing spot and certainly easier to get to. the Arcdh D'T will be closed that day and possibly the day or so before, also based on our experience. somewhere along the Seine is great to be during the parade since the flying formations fly down the ChampsE and along the river heading west. a couple of days before 7/14, they spent an hour or so doing practice flights, which was pretty neat. the rest of Paris...away from the Eiffel Tower and Arch are pretty quiet, actually.

We were in Dijon on 7/14 a couple of years ago and it was pretty quiet there as well. some closings and some openings. most events were at a near-by park that we passed on.

enjoy...

Originally Posted by SeamusSA
14 July -La Fête Nationale - is a great day to be in Paris! Not sure what you have heard that would lead you to be anxious, but things do not shut down. There is a fireworks display at Eiffel Tower / Trocadero that evening that is a blast - pack a picnic and bring a blanket to sit on the Champs de Mars with thousands of others.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Question

Originally Posted by SeamusSA
Plan to be there for the fireworks. Are you allowed to drink wine if picnicing?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:14 pm
iff

Originally Posted by daffydevil
Plan to be there for the fireworks. Are you allowed to drink wine if picnicing?
Alcohol consumption is forbidden in the grassy areas of the Champ de Mars between 4 p.m. and 7 a.m., and violators may be fined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.